Thread: Darwin, 1942: Australia's 'Pearl Harbor'

Default Darwin, 1942: Australia's 'Pearl Harbor'

It's 70 years since Japanese bombers swooped on Darwin, in northern Australia, sinking Allied ships in the harbour and killing hundreds of people. For years the attack was rarely mentioned, but now the story is finally being told.
    If 7 December 1941 is "a date that will live in infamy" for the United States, then 19 February 1942 is surely one that will join it in the annals of shame for Australia.

BBC Video ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17073472

The Darwin attacks have been well known and written about since the war; the modern BBC is so dumbed down that it can't even be bothered to look into its own archives....

.... and how does the BBC think a surprise attack at Pearl Harbour is in any way comparable to an anticipated attack on a town and harbour packed with refugee ships, aircraft and people from nations already engaged in combat operations?

Junior sized package member Toddy1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rearlugs View Post
    The Darwin attacks have been well known and written about since the war; the modern BBC is so dumbed down that it can't even be bothered to look into its own archives....
    Wrong - The full truth about what happened in Darwin was hidden for many years. The defenders of Darwin were only recognised with combat medals in 1995 (I think)

.... and how does the BBC think a surprise attack at Pearl Harbour is in any way comparable to an anticipated attack on a town and harbour packed with refugee ships, aircraft and people from nations already engaged in combat operations?
    Wrong again - The Air Raid sirens only sounded when the first bombs were being dropped on the harbour. No prior warning. The population of Darwin thought the planes were American.
    Hardly packed with planes, there were only 9 Kittyhawks which were shot down almost immediately.

Interesting article:

How Darwin was betrayed

^ Thanks for sharing mate

Just finished Whispering Death, a history of the RAAF during WW2. Of note is that the air raids in Darwin were hushed up due to Morale issues. The number of military staff running from Darwin post the initial bombing was worrying to the powers that be.

There were over 50 raids against Darwin, but after the first few, the defences were bolstered sufficiently to at least put up some form of a fight.

I find it odd the complaint of using WWI AA ammo as an excuse. There was in the defence 2 WWI era 3" AA guns, and 16 3.7AA QF which dated from 1937. The ammo for the bulk of the defences AA guns had to date from the 1937 at the earliest. Ammo Shortages and insufficient training of the guncrews was far likelier reasons for the poor results. Lets face it until you've done a lot of firing at real planes most crews no matter the nationality arent hitting much.

No Radar, no Radar control for the guns also limited the ability to fight back effectively.

The USAAF Pilots were just as inexperienced in actual combat flying and gunnery.

All this againt Combat experienced Japanese Pilots led by the leader of the Pearl Harbor attack

To be fair LD, most of the participants put it down to inexperience of the gunners as well, and that included the gunners. I remember one guy saying that they brought down a plane not by actually firing the shell into the plane, but by the plane flying into the shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy1 View Post
    Wrong - The full truth about what happened in Darwin was hidden for many years. The defenders of Darwin were only recognised with combat medals in 1995 (I think)

Wrong again - The Air Raid sirens only sounded when the first bombs were being dropped on the harbour. No prior warning. The population of Darwin thought the planes were American.
    Hardly packed with planes, there were only 9 Kittyhawks which were shot down almost immediately.
    "Wrong" yourself; read what I wrote.

-I repeat that the attacks on Darwin have been extensively written about since the event; maybe "the full truth" may not have been disclosed to your personal satisfaction, but the general events have been in the public domain since the 40s.

- Pearl Harbour was a surprise attack on a nation without a declaration of war, whereas Darwin was an enemy attack on combatant nations with which it had been at war for over two months. "No prior warning"? Which WW2 combatants do you think gave prior warnings of their bombing raids?

Maybe he meant the lack of Radar to give early warning

Quote Originally Posted by Rearlugs View Post
    "Wrong" yourself; read what I wrote.

-I repeat that the attacks on Darwin have been extensively written about since the event; maybe "the full truth" may not have been disclosed to your personal satisfaction, but the general events have been in the public domain since the 40s.
    I thought that was what the BBC was referring to when they stated - [*******#333333] For years the attack was rarely mentioned, but now the story is finally being told.
    [/COLOR]

Perhaps you should heed your own advice and read what was written.

- Pearl Harbour was a surprise attack on a nation without a declaration of war, whereas Darwin was an enemy attack on combatant nations with which it had been at war for over two months. "No prior warning"? Which WW2 combatants do you think gave prior warnings of their bombing raids?
    The point I was making was that although they were already at war the attack on Darwin, although supposed would happen, surprised the population and military. Also the point about no warning was in regards to the air raid warnings not being given until the bombs were already falling which should give you some idea of how surprised they were.