Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal rights group says drone shot down

Default Animal rights group says drone shot down

A remote-controlled aircraft owned by an animal rights group was reportedly shot down near Broxton Bridge Plantation Sunday near Ehrhardt, S.C.

Steve Hindi, president of SHARK (SHowing Animals Respect and Kindness), said his group was preparing to launch its Mikrokopter drone to video what he called a live pigeon shoot on Sunday when law enforcement officers and an attorney claiming to represent the privately-owned plantation near Ehrhardt tried to stop the aircraft from flying.
    "It didn't work; what SHARK was doing was perfectly legal," Hindi said in a news release. "Once they knew nothing was going to stop us, the shooting stopped and the cars lined up to leave."
    He said the animal rights group decided to send the drone up anyway.
    "Seconds after it hit the air, numerous shots rang out," Hindi said in the release. "As an act of revenge for us shutting down the pigeon slaughter, they had shot down our copter."
    He claimed the shooters were "in tree cover" and "fled the scene on small motorized vehicles."
    "It is important to note how dangerous this was, as they were shooting toward and into a well-travelled highway," Hindi stated in the release. He said someone from SHARK called the Colleton County Sheriff's Department, which took a report of the incident.

According to the report, Hindi told the responding deputy the group's remote-controlled aircraft "was hovering over U.S. 601 when he heard a shot come from the wood line. The shot sounded to him that it was of small caliber."

[LEFT][*******#000000]

[/COLOR]
    [*******#000000]Read more: http://thetandd.com/animal-rights-gr...#ixzz1mqJVt7Y1

OK first off one of the big rules for all RC aircraft is that you never fly them over an area of high traffic and keep it in that area, when flying RC aircraft one should always assume that one will at one point or another loose power and that the aircraft will start to fall and that happens it could pose a danger to traffic on the ground, this goes for roads and highways. and from their own statement they had their copter hovering over a highway, they could have had it hover elsewhere without endangering people on the ground.

Now on the shooters, they also were at mistake for firing guns in direction of people and traffic..

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

IF any of what the Animal rights group even says is true. I tend to trust them as far as I can throw the USS Iowa

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

"Shot down" sounds more impressive than "dumb ****er crashed our new toy".

Weren't they violating any privacy laws?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
    Weren't they violating any privacy laws?
    What an interesting question.

This may help:

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t557485p1/

If you are shooting video or photography using RC aircraft whether it's fixed-wing or heli and it's for commercial or promotional purposes it's illegal. Period. That is unless you have what's called a COA or have undergone a very lengthy and costly certification process.In point of fact, two well known RC-aerial operators (names withheld) have been given "cease and desist" orders from the FAA and been threatened with a $10k per-day fine for non-compliance. Both of these operators are now shut-down and their websites pulled.At issue are three very important points:First, the FAR's or Federal Air Regulations that specifically apply to RC aircraft - or UAV's - for the purpose of commercial aerial photography has not been widely disseminated by the FAA or any other governing authority. It remains a mostly unknown but very volatile piece of information.Second, the FAA contends that unless the entity wanting to use RC-aerials is under the auspices of a "C.O.A." - which is only issued for government or research facilities for the purposes of search and rescue, military ops, law enforcement or scientific research then that company must: A) Certify the aircraft just as if it were full-sized; B) Obtain formal operator training and also become certified as a UAV operator; C) Carry the appropriate insurances; D) Follow and maintain certain airspace rules and restrictions mandated by the FAA.Three: The airframe and operator certification process the FAA is requiring does not formally exist anywhere currently. No forum, school or government agency has been created - nor the curriculum - to facilitate these certifications. It's a "chicken before the egg" scenario, for lack of a better term.So, if you are using your RC heli or airplane to take video or shoot stills for your clients or even just to promote your own company you're doing so without FAA approval and you're subject to being shut down and potentially fined. End of story.

You sent a highly-visible slow-moving low-altitude drone to videotape people shooting things with shotguns. Jesus Christ, you guys aren't very bright are you
    So true, damn hippies.

Anything for media attention. It's happened to them before and they probably wanted it to get shot down for the free publicity.

Cheaper than TV or printed ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    That's a well-traveled highway?

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Camera must have sucked if they had to fly it in shotgun range.

]

hippies ...
    Meh. If I knew someone was trying to spy on me with an RC-helicopter, I'd probably take a few shots at it myself.

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

The shot sounded to him that it was of small caliber."
    Yeah, shotguns the preferred weapon of pigeon murders) is that all right!

The only thing small caliber is the size of the brain in Hindi.

Connaught Ranger.

In spite of that Mrīs funny statements and assessments, shooting animals for "sport" is simply despicable.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by armored_diplomacy View Post
    In spite of that Mrīs funny statements and assessments, shooting animals for "sport" is simply despicable.
    Going shotgun hunting with a group of friends is one of lifes great pleasures.

Quote Originally Posted by CG51 View Post
    Going shotgun hunting with a group of friends is one of lifes great pleasures.
    Going outdoors to hunt a small number of games when itīs permited is fine, although I wouldnīt do it myself; then you cook them and thatīs all.
    Shooting an insane number of animals just for fun in sick, as well as capturing them to be used as live targets.