Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At least 24 killed in Russian Caucasus

Default At least 24 killed in Russian Caucasus

Seventeen police and at least seven insurgents were killed in four days of fighting on the border between the Chechnya and Dagestan provinces in Russia's North Caucasus, police said on Saturday.

The toll among government forces was the biggest in months in the region along Russia's southern border, where it faces an Islamist insurgency more than a decade after driving separatists from power in a war in Chechnya. (*******)
    Does anyone now what's going on down there?

Kadyrov Says Militant Group Killed in Chechnya

A militant group led by field commander Magarbi Timiraliyev, known as "Abudar," was eliminated in the east of Chechnya during a special police operation, Chechen leader Ramzan Kadyrov said on Friday.
    A special police operation in the eastern Chechnya border with Dagestan began five days ago after law enforcers surrounded three militant groups who refused to surrender and put up armed resistance.
    Kadyrov said that the group, suspected of carrying out terrorist acts and assaults on policemen, consisted of 20 people. Seven of them were killed and Friday, while 13 others were killed earlier.
    “They put up armed resistance against police officers, Interior Ministry troops and special task force officers and were killed in return fire,” Kadyrov told journalists.
    He said that the operation is not over yet and Chechen law enforcers in cooperation with their colleagues from Dagestan are continuing to pursue two remaining militant groups.
    He also expressed his condolences to the relatives of policemen killed in the operation, but did not specify how many of them were killed.
    According to police sources and various media reports, at least 13 policemen were killed and some 20 wounded since the beginning of the operation, but there are no official figures as of yet.

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

http://lenta.ru/news/2012/02/18/chchn/
    RIP to servicemen. Speedy recovery to the wounded.

I dont hear much about this in the main stream media. Whats the situation there overall?

Quote Originally Posted by Korathv2 View Post
    Does anyone now what's going on down there?
    It is being discussed in the Russian military thread. It is a reminder for Russia that they should take the fight against Islamic militants seriously even on international level.

Banned user

Don't tell me it's real, are they all KIA? What about injuries? Thats a huge number out of nowhere.
    RIP to fallen
    And speedy recovery to injured.

Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    It is being discussed in the Russian military thread. It is a reminder for Russia that they should take the fight against Islamic militants seriously even on international level.
    It's not so much Foreign jihadi militants anymore as it is local bandits, thieves and "Wolf Pups", it's been this situation since 2007/2008 I believe.

Banned user

It's more common criminality like kidnapping, blackmail and so on. And the police over there consist out of "dagestanis" or "chechens" in fact they are killing each other.

Banned user

double post

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    It's more common criminality like kidnapping, blackmail and so on. And the police over there consist out of "dagestanis" or "chechens" in fact they are killing each other.
    Some of them are russians policemen sent to caucasus.

Quote Originally Posted by mathyou8 View Post
    Only on a select tour of duty spanning months, most security operations are handled by local forces.

Banned user

Most of them are from special units and they aren't loosing a lot of personal.
    But there aren't common "Russian" policemen's in the Caucasus. Only local's.
    And a lot of special units consist out of locals but nevertheless they are doing a good job other there!

Don't tell me it's real, are they all KIA? What about injuries? Thats a huge number out of nowhere.
    RIP to fallen
    And speedy recovery to injured.
    Whole big operation have been started after the group of "Chechen police" was ambushed, during search of camp in some mounting forest they came under strong fire from well-prepared positions and most was killed or injured in firsts seconds/minutes. They came in good prepared trap.

Then Kadyrov with his guards came to place, then Russian Interior Troops, aviation, arty etc. And big mess started... many trees and rocks smashed to pieces...result is doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    You are right, most of them are from special units from the FSB and they aren't loosing a lot of personal.
    Not FSB, but MVD's Internal Troops.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=50f_1329557323

Banned user

@Hisroyalhighnes

Yes you are right, I've changed my post.
    But there are also some "special op's" carried out by the FSB.