Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Narrowing of the American mind?

I dunno this Pat person, and maybe he's a nut, but :
    [*******#333333]Left and right live in their little ghettos of the mind, unwilling to listen to anything that doesn't reinforce their own views. If you only hear what your opponents are thinking through the warp of second-hand caricatures, then there is no chance of understanding their point of view.[/COLOR]
    [*******#333333]Thinking gets trapped within a very narrow box - one that often bears little relation to problems in the real world[/COLOR]
    I kinda agree. It happens in every democracy, but on the USA, it goes so far as to amount to ad hominem offense so brutal, and that's what the voters are led to care about rather than the political platforms, and that's just sad.

In France, candidate Hollande just made a light imitation of Sarkoboy "Hey look, I'm a bad guy !", and the ****storm was big !! Now imagine if he said "assh*le" !!!

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Unfortunately, for America, to people outside of the U.S.A., American Politics have been reduced to a 3 ring circus over populated with clowns and their rabid supporters. Many of the comments made having little to do with the true reality of the country and its place on the world stage, but more to do with an Olympic backstabbing contest.

If half the energy that goes into putting asinine names on people, and the addition of character assassination with "he said, she said, he said she said . . etc .. etc .." was to be expended in the real job of running the country it would be far better for the people of the U.S.A. in general.
    Last edited by Connaught Ranger; 02-21-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    Dammit, you took what I was gonna say

Pat, he's always been a mixed bag but that doesn't mean he was always wrong - he has that gift of saying the unsayable, even if you dont agree. It actually reminds me of the Michael Savage firing - and it also reminds me of the circumstances. Even though the incident that got him fired was from a known crank caller, I doubt he would have been able to stay in the end. And it also brings issue to what IS the audience? Because both of these firings have been audience-demanded - in MS's case, the network head still hoped they could have him on in some form. But in the end, the crowd would have none of it.

I think Mardell's line, as others have pointed out before, is very poignant:
    "It probably isn't good for democracy if these people feel their views can't be expressed in public. "

Indeed so...

Pat Buchanan does not say anything even remotely relevant to the 21st century or Planet Earth. He can be safely ignored. Listening to idiots does not expand your horizons, only narrows them.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Pat Buchanan does not say anything even remotely relevant to the 21st century or Planet Earth. He can be safely ignored. Listening to idiots does not expand your horizons, only narrows them.
    Funny, I'd rather listen to him than you, considering the vile garbage and sheer ignorance that comes out of your mouth

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    Funny, I'd rather listen to him than you, considering the vile garbage and sheer ignorance that comes out of your mouth

That's because you subscribe to his worldview. Intolerance of tolerance.

I'm all for opposing views, but not when those views are patently moronic. For example I can make a case For and Against attacking Iran and would read about the different opinions, but not when they come from some ignorant populist.

Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
    Unfortunately, for America, to people outside of the U.S.A., American Politics have been reduced to a 3 ring circus over populated with clowns and their rabid supporters. Many of the comments made having little to do with the true reality of the country and its place on the world stage, but more to do with an Olympic backstabbing contest.

If half the energy that goes into putting asinine names on people, and the addition of character assassination with "he said, she said, he said she said . . etc .. etc .." was to be expended in the real job of running the country it would be far better for the people of the U.S.A. in general.
    You mean like they did in the UK with Phoney Tony, Bliar, Gordon Browneye, Cyclops, Red Ken, etc. ?

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    You mean like they did in the UK with Phoney Tony, Bliar, Gordon Browneye, Cyclops, Red Ken, etc. ?
    L - D., no offense intended to the American people, when it comes to the U.K. we of course, practice the "monkey see, monkey do" way of life, however, compared to the U.S.A. we are mere amateurs compared to the spectacle of American politics and grandstanding, some of the comments posted in response to Political stories are positively dripping in venom and hatred for the person being named in the article, regardless of which political party they belong, despite the fact that the person at the point of the comment at the end of the day is an American citizen with a democratic right to say or vote the way of their party by free choice.

Connaught Ranger.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NPFF View Post
    That's because you subscribe to his worldview. Intolerance of tolerance.

I'm all for opposing views, but not when those views are patently moronic. For example I can make a case For and Against attacking Iran and would read about the different opinions, but not when they come from some ignorant populist.
    Funny, cause not only am I neocon, but I disagree patently enough with him on various aspects.

And again, he knows hell of a lot more about the world than you do.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by NPFF View Post
    Question is... why did they hire such a dynosaur in the first place? His views haven't changed at all.
    Bucahnan has actually mellowed out quite a bit since when they hired him. I think that MSNBC is just getting a little more militant and a little less tolerant. I wonder if Joe Scarburough is next?

I think of myself as "to the right of center" but, I tell you...once my tv show ended and I was in the john and the 500 Club came on. I was taking a long time and he started going and going and I finally had to run screaming from the toilet, pants around ankles, to change the channel he was pissing me so much. This was in the late 80s.

I never forget how much he pised me off that day. It was religious stuff he was going on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Ranger View Post

That sums it up. Politics being juvenile is hardly exclusively American, nor is it a new phenomenon by any means, but the sheer intensity and pervasive influence of our partisan fights are beyond pathetic. That a complete lunatic such as Palin or Santorum could come anywhere close to having high level office is scary. I hope that we reach a breaking point sometime soon where levelheaded Americans finally take a stand to reverse this trend, but it doesn't look too bright. The "Rally to restore sanity" doesn't have the juicy, attention grabbing potential as some OWS protester taking a dump on someone's car a port or a bunch of tea partyers hanging an Obama effigy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post
    That sums it up. Politics being juvenile is hardly exclusively American, nor is it a new phenomenon by any means, but the sheer intensity and pervasive influence of our partisan fights are beyond pathetic. That a complete lunatic such as Palin or Santorum could come anywhere close to having high level office is scary. I hope that we reach a breaking point sometime soon where levelheaded Americans finally take a stand to reverse this trend, but it doesn't look too bright. The "Rally to restore sanity" doesn't have the juicy, attention grabbing potential as some OWS protester taking a dump on someone's car a port or a bunch of tea partyers hanging an Obama effigy.
    IMHO the thing that sets American politicians apart from other juvenile politicians around the world is the amount of media covering it all.

Yes, there is definately the factor of our prominent position in the world that shines a big spotlight on our politics. Unfortunately, that means for a lot of people in the world, what they see of America aren't average, sane people but some politico saying that the other party is evil incarnate with zombified supporters feeding into it. What isn't showed to the world is that most of us would hate what's going on. As I said earlier, many people I know are giving up on participating in the political process because they feel marginalized by the extremists, and sadly that just perpetuates the circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
    IMHO the thing that sets American politicians apart from other juvenile politicians around the world is the amount of media covering it all.
    And the colossal amount of money spent on the campaigns. We could have several presidential elections in France for the cost of one US campaign (and we'd still end up with a higher turnout at the voting stations, which raises the question of the whole point of lavish political spendings).

US Agency for Reality Interpretation. No! Thats not a white elephant you see, move along!

I find him insightful, you may not agree with everything he says. He atleast is thought provoking! Take some time to read his book, Death of a Super Power.