Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) programme

Default Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) programme

Four new 37,000-tonne naval tanker ships are to be purchased for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary as part of the 452m Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) programme, it has been announced.

The ships, which are to be built by South Korean firm Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering, will be manned by the RFA and provide fuel to Royal Navy warships and task groups.

http://www.defencemanagement.com/new...y.asp?id=18949

Dave

Congratulations to the DSME team and the RN for successfully concluding this lucrative deal. 450 million GBP is really an efficient price for four 37,000-ton fleet tankers. In-service date of 2016 from initial steel cutting to complete trial runs seems pretty quick too.

Faulty Charisma Chip

Sorry,but I get very confused in these matters.

The article states vessels of 37,000 tonnes,now if they are of the BMT design then I assume that they are one of the Aegir family.

As far as I am aware there are three vessels in this class consisting of Aegir 10,18 and 26,the numbers denoting the tonnage.

So my question is,which one of these relates to the 37,000 tonne in the article,and if so would this tonnage be when fully loaded.

Sorry if this question is obvious to you,but it's not to me,thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    Sorry,but I get very confused in these matters.

The article states vessels of 37,000 tonnes,now if they are of the BMT design then I assume that they are one of the Aegir family.

As far as I am aware there are three vessels in this class consisting of Aegir 10,18 and 26,the numbers denoting the tonnage.

So my question is,which one of these relates to the 37,000 tonne in the article,and if so would this tonnage be when fully loaded.

Sorry if this question is obvious to you,but it's not to me,thanks.

I scratched my head for a minute too. It's got to be the fully loaded tonnage. The BMT/BAE/DSME proposal has always been based on the Aegir18R hull - which comes in at 17000t dead.

http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/BMT/bmt_medi...pAegir-18R.pdf

It would be easy to whinge about how the requirement was for 6, not 4, but these days we ought to be pleased we're getting anything.

Here's a similar MoD article if anyone's interested:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...RfaTankers.htm

Nu-Labours's defence industry stratagey strikes again. British defence industry to be BaE

Really pleased with the order would prefer them to have been built on Queen's Island. But the Kiwis seam to have had no problems with HMNZS Endeavour.

Well said. And as to being built here in the UK how much would this have cost?

Dave

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

MoD Article:

Quote Originally Posted by MoD News
    [SIZE=4]MOD to order four new RFA tankers[/SIZE]

A new generation of 37,000-tonne tankers is to be ordered for the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) to support future Royal Navy operations around the globe, the MOD has announced today. The new Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) tankers will maintain the Royal Navy's ability to refuel at sea and will provide fuel to warships and task groups. They will support deployed amphibious, land and air forces close to the shore, will be able to operate helicopters, and are planned to enter service from 2016, replacing existing Royal Fleet Auxiliary single-hulled tankers.

At over 200 metres long, the four tankers will be approximately the same length as 14 double-decker buses and be able to pump enough fuel to fill two olympic-sized swimming pools in an hour. Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Peter Luff, announced that Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) is the Government's preferred bidder for the deal. This represents the best value for taxpayers' money, with 452m to be spent on the four new vessels to support the Royal Navy on operations around the world.

Full Article: MoD News

Quote Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
    Well said. And as to being built here in the UK how much would this have cost?

Dave
    A damn-sight more, suffice to say. We don't have the yard capacity or practical expertise any more - hence it was never even tabled as an option.

It's rich of Labour to bemoan the contract as detrimental to British industry, when they did so little to reverse or even slow the decline.

I'd have loved to have seen the ship built on the Mersey, the Tyne, or anywhere over here, but there's been so little investment and such a scandalous attack on the profitability of UK based shipbuilding, that its simply unachievable. You can't have your cake and eat it, Mr Murphy.

Thats a sad state of affairs. I bet Churchill would have called you an idiot if you would have proposed something like the above in his times. Times change...

Faulty Charisma Chip

Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    I scratched my head for a minute too. It's got to be the fully loaded tonnage. The BMT/BAE/DSME proposal has always been based on the Aegir18R hull - which comes in at 17000t dead.

http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/BMT/bmt_medi...pAegir-18R.pdf

It would be easy to whinge about how the requirement was for 6, not 4, but these days we ought to be pleased we're getting anything.

Here's a similar MoD article if anyone's interested:
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...RfaTankers.htm

Yes six would be nice,but four is good enough at the moment. Just one thing,the bmt link you provided is for the AOR version am I right in thinking that we have ordered the AO as in this link:-

http://www.bmtdsl.co.uk/?/309/1978/

Is this the ship we're getting?

Another CGI image showing it replenishing the French PA2. I guess it gives us a little depiction of what it may look like replenishing the QE-class:

Pretty nice vessel. Would have been nice to have it built in a British yard, but oh well.

Well, wherever the construction takes place, it's still a pleasant surprise.

Just the 'primary casualty receiving ship' to sort next...

Reeding a bit I just learned that the Royal Fleet Auxiliary already operates a number of ships that weren't build on British yards. There are even ships from Italia and Germany, so the above isn't really a new development. Interesting.

yes its good to see

Quote Originally Posted by Herman the II View Post
    Reeding a bit I just learned that the Royal Fleet Auxiliary already operates a number of ships that weren't build on British yards. There are even ships from Italia and Germany, so the above isn't really a new development. Interesting.

Argus was rebuilt in Harland & Wolff in Belfast
    At one point there was even one built in Gadansk. They were hired