Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910
Results 136 to 145 of 145

Thread: Russia Tells Norway To Keep Aegis BMD System off Vessels

  1. #136
    Senior Member memfisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    600ft under the Canadian Shield
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dompedidomp View Post
    The Nansen class has strike lenght Mk 41 VLS, and should be able to carry SM-3.

    The frigates are delivered with one 8-cell launcher with ESSM, except the last, KNM Thor Heyerdahl, which was delivered with with two launchers. This extra launcher, and any additional weapons are not mentioned in the defense budget, or anywhere else afaik. Perharps the launcher is a "gift" from the US, with some interesting inside
    Provide a source that says it has this version please

  2. #137
    Senior Member Flamming_Python's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spying on the Eurowoosies
    Posts
    11,968

    Default

    Norway and Russia have been steadily increasing their relations over the last few years. Statoil Hydro was given a huge contract in the Shtockman project.

    So naturally, trying to pull them away from a role where they can threaten Russia's strategic nuclear detterant is the logical next step, if relations are going to progress past a certain level. I don't think that Russia is demanding anything though - it sounds a lot more like; keep the Aegis system off your ships, and we will be more accomodating in other issues.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowflakes View Post
    Or maybe you don't like my idea and maybe you should lay off with a ad hominems.

    The most European countries could develop nuclear weapons in a short order if they wanted to. They have chosen not to and I think it's mistake, ultimately Russia believes only force. Luckily French and UK have had bit more street smarts and have enough nukes to make any country think twice before attacking EU.

    End of the day, it's not Russias business what Norway does with her ships. Especially as long as they have Russian nukes pointed towards them.
    Complete Nordic nationalist nonsense; 'Russia only believes in force'. Used of course as justification for Swedish and Finnish political support for the Baltic states with their racist and divisive social policies.

  3. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    I don't think that Russia is demanding anything though - it sounds a lot more like; keep the Aegis system off your ships, and we will be more accomodating in other issues.
    I still have not seen this story reported elsewhere --are there any Russian sources to this?

    The person that wrote that story has in the past written som other stories that I found to be of low quality and sometimes plain wrong.

  4. #139
    Senior Member Drax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    As above, so below.
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    Complete Nordic nationalist nonsense; 'Russia only believes in force'. Used of course as justification for Swedish and Finnish political support for the Baltic states with their racist and divisive social policies.
    Looks like the vacation didn't do you much good, poor thing.

  5. #140
    Senior Member Flamming_Python's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spying on the Eurowoosies
    Posts
    11,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Looks like the vacation didn't do you much good, poor thing.
    So where am I posting something that is untrue?

  6. #141
    Pining for a custom title PEMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rušˊvnjargg
    Age
    24
    Posts
    8,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    Complete Nordic nationalist nonsense; 'Russia only believes in force'. Used of course as justification for Swedish and Finnish political support for the Baltic states with their racist and divisive social policies.
    Give me an example of any finnish government politician saying that sort of thing or giving support to those policies in baltic states.

  7. #142
    Senior Member Flamming_Python's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spying on the Eurowoosies
    Posts
    11,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PEMM View Post
    Give me an example of any finnish government politician saying that sort of thing or giving support to those policies in baltic states.
    OK you got me I don't think anyone in Finland is explicitly advocating the Baltic social policies, and they are not calling Russia a threat; to do so would risk relations with Russia.

    What I am talking about is the increasing nationalism apparent in Scandinavian states in general, the propogation of the idea that Russia is a threat, the unification of foreign policy between Sweden, Finland and the Baltic states; there have been many political forums in exactly this format (Nordic and Baltic states). All these proposals, etc... to join NATO are part of the same thing. Just recently the Nordic and Baltic countries made a joint statement in regards to their position on the Syrian issue, and this isn't the only example. For the Baltic states this is very important; they want to resist Russian pressure. By grouping together with the Nordic countries, and pretending to actually be a proper democracy with a liberal society they are taking an important step in legitimization of their governments; which the Nordic countries in turn are completely happy to ignore the excesses of seeing as its suits their own interests (Sweden has been quite active in trying to contain Russian influence in Eastern Europe, together with Poland).

  8. #143
    Pining for a custom title PEMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Rušˊvnjargg
    Age
    24
    Posts
    8,377

    Default

    I understand what you mean.

    AS for rise of nationalism is not that apparent in Finland if you actually live here. People just have feeling for years, that old parties do not listen to people and dont handle the economic crisis well. PS just happened to be at the right place at right time so they gained lot of the protest votes. At the moment it seems that their support is decreasing. Of course we are proud of our nation, but I dont see how that would be bad for Russia.

    It is true that they campaign against cuts in the military and use the argument that "why do we cut when our neighbour increases". But in the other hand government parties campaign that it has nothing to do with us.

    Nordic cooperation is seen as way to lower costs as NATO is seen as the bogie man.

    EDIT: There are of course people who bash Russia and see it as a threat, but you cant do anything about that as long as Russia is a great power and our neighbor. I also understand old people like my grandmother who fear Russians that are buying land from Finland, after all she saw three wars and was evacuee twice. Newer generations have not seen war and see things more objectively.
    Last edited by PEMM; 02-26-2012 at 12:39 PM.

  9. #144
    Senior Member Flamming_Python's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Spying on the Eurowoosies
    Posts
    11,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loke2 View Post
    I still have not seen this story reported elsewhere --are there any Russian sources to this?

    The person that wrote that story has in the past written som other stories that I found to be of low quality and sometimes plain wrong.
    None that I know of.

    Quote Originally Posted by PEMM View Post
    I understand what you mean.

    AS for rise of nationalism is not that apparent in Finland if you actually live here. People just have feeling for years, that old parties do not listen to people and dont handle the economic crisis well. PS just happened to be at the right place at right time so they gained lot of the protest votes. At the moment it seems that their support is decreasing. Of course we are proud of our nation, but I dont see how that would be bad for Russia.

    It is true that they campaign against cuts in the military and use the argument that "why do we cut when our neighbour increases". But in the other hand government parties campaign that it has nothing to do with us.

    Nordic cooperation is seen as way to lower costs as NATO is seen as the bogie man.
    Interesting to know at any rate.

  10. #145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by memfisa View Post
    Provide a source that says it has this version please
    My source was mil.no, the official site for the military forces for many years. Unfortunately they made a new site last year with english language, and deleted hundreds of articles.

    But when i think about it, I remember now that the article said the Nansen class got the tactical length VLS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •