Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread: Russia Tells Norway To Keep Aegis BMD System off Vessels

Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    I don't think that Russia is demanding anything though - it sounds a lot more like; keep the Aegis system off your ships, and we will be more accomodating in other issues.
    I still have not seen this story reported elsewhere --are there any Russian sources to this?

The person that wrote that story has in the past written som other stories that I found to be of low quality and sometimes plain wrong.

Complete Nordic nationalist nonsense; 'Russia only believes in force'. Used of course as justification for Swedish and Finnish political support for the Baltic states with their racist and divisive social policies.
    Looks like the vacation didn't do you much good, poor thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Looks like the vacation didn't do you much good, poor thing.
    So where am I posting something that is untrue?

Complete Nordic nationalist nonsense; 'Russia only believes in force'. Used of course as justification for Swedish and Finnish political support for the Baltic states with their racist and divisive social policies.
    Give me an example of any finnish government politician saying that sort of thing or giving support to those policies in baltic states.

Quote Originally Posted by PEMM View Post
    Give me an example of any finnish government politician saying that sort of thing or giving support to those policies in baltic states.
    OK you got me I don't think anyone in Finland is explicitly advocating the Baltic social policies, and they are not calling Russia a threat; to do so would risk relations with Russia.

What I am talking about is the increasing nationalism apparent in Scandinavian states in general, the propogation of the idea that Russia is a threat, the unification of foreign policy between Sweden, Finland and the Baltic states; there have been many political forums in exactly this format (Nordic and Baltic states). All these proposals, etc... to join NATO are part of the same thing. Just recently the Nordic and Baltic countries made a joint statement in regards to their position on the Syrian issue, and this isn't the only example. For the Baltic states this is very important; they want to resist Russian pressure. By grouping together with the Nordic countries, and pretending to actually be a proper democracy with a liberal society they are taking an important step in legitimization of their governments; which the Nordic countries in turn are completely happy to ignore the excesses of seeing as its suits their own interests (Sweden has been quite active in trying to contain Russian influence in Eastern Europe, together with Poland).

I understand what you mean.

AS for rise of nationalism is not that apparent in Finland if you actually live here. People just have feeling for years, that old parties do not listen to people and dont handle the economic crisis well. PS just happened to be at the right place at right time so they gained lot of the protest votes. At the moment it seems that their support is decreasing. Of course we are proud of our nation, but I dont see how that would be bad for Russia.

It is true that they campaign against cuts in the military and use the argument that "why do we cut when our neighbour increases". But in the other hand government parties campaign that it has nothing to do with us.

Nordic cooperation is seen as way to lower costs as NATO is seen as the bogie man.

EDIT: There are of course people who bash Russia and see it as a threat, but you cant do anything about that as long as Russia is a great power and our neighbor. I also understand old people like my grandmother who fear Russians that are buying land from Finland, after all she saw three wars and was evacuee twice. Newer generations have not seen war and see things more objectively.
    Last edited by PEMM; 02-26-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loke2 View Post
    I still have not seen this story reported elsewhere --are there any Russian sources to this?

The person that wrote that story has in the past written som other stories that I found to be of low quality and sometimes plain wrong.
    None that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by PEMM View Post
    I understand what you mean.

AS for rise of nationalism is not that apparent in Finland if you actually live here. People just have feeling for years, that old parties do not listen to people and dont handle the economic crisis well. PS just happened to be at the right place at right time so they gained lot of the protest votes. At the moment it seems that their support is decreasing. Of course we are proud of our nation, but I dont see how that would be bad for Russia.

It is true that they campaign against cuts in the military and use the argument that "why do we cut when our neighbour increases". But in the other hand government parties campaign that it has nothing to do with us.

Nordic cooperation is seen as way to lower costs as NATO is seen as the bogie man.
    Interesting to know at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by memfisa View Post
    Provide a source that says it has this version please
    My source was mil.no, the official site for the military forces for many years. Unfortunately they made a new site last year with english language, and deleted hundreds of articles.

But when i think about it, I remember now that the article said the Nansen class got the tactical length VLS.