Thread: Can any Mortarmen here explain this?

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Default Can any Mortarmen here explain this?

In the following video, a Marine mortarman is engaging some Talibs with a 60mm mortar in the handheld, trigger actuated mode. He's aiming the tube, while a second marine is repeatedly slapping what I assume is the trigger.

Is that supposed to increase accuracy or is it because the trigger is unusually awkward to operate or is it something else?

The guy holding the tube is adjusting sideways and pulling the trigger, the other guy adjust for length.
    Mortars have a bubble levels on them, which have to be leveled for the rounds to hit it's taget, that's why the Marine says "In. Hit it"

3:43 ehh Marines...

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Quote Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
    The guy holding the tube is adjusting sideways and pulling the trigger, the other guy adjust for length.
    Mortars have a bubble levels on them, which have to be leveled for the rounds to hit it's taget, that's why the Marine says "In. Hit it"
    So they're doing it that way so the gunner doesn't have to divide his attention between the direction (azimuth) and the tube angle (range), makes sense to me, thanks!
    Last edited by shuredgefan; 02-23-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: forgot the word "attention"

That's how you di it. I've never operated a 60 tho, just 80s and 120s. Not bad for an FO!

I know the 60mm, but I imagine the USMC one is a lot more modern then ours... THe only time ours have anything to do with bubbles is when they are in the bipod role with a C2 sight attached. In the light role it is all about charge setting and bracketing.

Quote Originally Posted by wwjs View Post
    3:43 ehh Marines...
    x2. GET SOME!!!!