Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Americans love to hate California

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ofpbhd View Post
    Like junglejim said, they're bankrupt. That's not prosperous.
    That's because they don't collect enough tax and they spend inefficiently. The economy of California is monstrous. We had quiet a wealthy Canton in Switzerland go bankrupt too. We are not talking Greece here.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    Are you freaking kidding me? Other "poor and ignorant states". Geez.

Just because other states pass different laws doesn't make them ignorant. I think folks in California are probably more ignorant than the rest of the population of the United States and I'm from here. People here suck. A lot of the laws suck. The only thing California really has had going for it lately is getting taxes from medical marijuana. It's the largest cash crop here. It's just about the only area of business that's actually doing well in this state, and that's pretty sad. Just because we have Silicon Valley doesn't mean the state is doing great.

And prosperity? Where? Just because it has a large economy, doesn't mean it's doing well. America has a large economy and it's not doing so well either.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_910358.html

This place is slowly becoming the People's Republic of California.

Just look at how they try to sucker people into going on a vacation here.

Uh huh.

Well, I've been to California for XMas-NY. Liked it a lot. Especially the people. This for me is what America is about. Not some ignorant small town people.

My parents have been to San Fran recently they adored it. So have my European friends.

Quote Originally Posted by NPFF View Post
    Because Americans have a problem with other people having a choice in how they live their lives and California is very liberal AND prosperous? It's a living FU to other poor and ignorant states. California is prosperous because it is liberal and tolerant and attracts smart people who want to live there and smart people tend to be liberal... closed loop.
    Oh my aren't you the funny one! You know, I bet understanding like that is something you can only get if you live a few thousands of miles away, and aren't a stupid American. Right?

Wow you visited the state and you feel like you know enough to judge wether it is good or bad. I lived in California through my middle and High school and though I loved my friends and cant complain about the state, there is certainly a lot not to like about it. My mom is a Beverly Hills type of lady and when she moved to a "small town ignorant" state like Oklahoma, she never felt better and for her the current state she is on is what America is all about, real people actually concerned about their community.

That's because they don't collect enough tax and they spend inefficiently. The economy of California is monstrous. We had quiet a wealthy Canton in Switzerland go bankrupt too. We are not talking Greece here.
    Right, I know that. So you're basically saying despite it's economic problems, it's still prosperous due to its economy's sheer size. You're not making much sense.

Okay, I'm done.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Wow you visited the state and you feel like you know enough to judge wether it is good or bad. I lived in California through my middle and High school and though I loved my friends and cant complain about the state, there is certainly a lot not to like about it. My mom is a Beverly Hills type of lady and when she moved to a "small town ignorant" state like Oklahoma, she never felt better and for her the current state she is on is what America is all about, real people actually concerned about their community.
    The problem I have with "community" is that often times if you do something the "community" does not approve of... it turns ugly.

Also, why is somebody living in LA not a "real" people? They looked real enough for me.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ofpbhd View Post
    Right, I know that. So you're basically saying despite it's economic problems, it's still prosperous due to its economy's sheer size. You're not making much sense.

Okay, I'm done.
    If you don't understand such simple things... The problem California has is of cashflow to the goverment coffers, not that it went Detroit. We had a canton in Switzerland that despite doing well financially - i.e. being full of rich Swiss people and lot's if businesses, went bankrupt for a short while.

Correct, they don't collect enough taxes because too many people living off the government don't pay into it; yes this includes illegals. The wealthy and corporations can only support a finite number of people...even if you were to tax them at double the current rate you still end up with the same problem. Add bad government and mismanagement into the equation and you have a disaster......they are more fubar in this regard than any other state.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy visiting there and every other state has it's own share of ludicrousness but this state has rewritten the definition of bad government.

I quite liked California when I visited although I only had to stay for a couple of weeks. Everybody I met seemed to be an extreme right leaning nutjob, I guess I just got unlucky. I prefer Texas.

Because Americans have a problem with other people having a choice in how they live their lives and California is very liberal AND prosperous? It's a living FU to other poor and ignorant states. California is prosperous because it is liberal and tolerant and attracts smart people who want to live there and smart people tend to be liberal... closed loop.
    So is that why Texas has the best economy of any state in the USA right now?

California is an interesting place. I have lived there for 4 years in my life. I lived in the central coast and it is amazing, full of natural beauty and cool, chilled out people. I lived in SoCal for awhile (stationed at Camp Pendleton) and I loved/ hated it. It is unique because you can surf and snowboard in the same day. San Diego is an awesome town. But it was also the most unfriendly, pretentious place I have ever been. Also, there are too many people. I am critical of anywhere that needs to take natural resources from everywhere around them because the land they live on can't support the population.

Something else to consider, northern Cali and SoCal are two very very different places full of very different people.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    Correct, they don't collect enough taxes because too many people living off the government don't pay into it; yes this includes illegals. The wealthy and corporations can only support a finite number of people...even if you were to tax them at double the current rate you still end up with the same problem. Add bad government and mismanagement into the equation and you have a disaster......they are more fubar in this regard than any other state.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy visiting there and every other state has it's own share of ludicrousness but this state has rewritten the definition of bad government.

I never said there goverment was great. I said they had a huge economy. How the California goverment mishandles their allowance is another story.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Wahnsinn View Post
    I quite liked California when I visited although I only had to stay for a couple of weeks. Everybody I met seemed to be an extreme right leaning nutjob, I guess I just got unlucky. I prefer Texas.

You should visited something other then Victorville Oh, and what you call Librul in America is still right wing for a European

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    California is an interesting place. I have lived there for 4 years in my life. I lived in the central coast and it is amazing, full of natural beauty and cool, chilled out people. I lived in SoCal for awhile (stationed at Camp Pendleton) and I loved/ hated it. It is unique because you can surf and snowboard in the same day. San Diego is an awesome town. But it was also the most unfriendly, pretentious place I have ever been. Also, there are too many people. I am critical of anywhere that needs to take natural resources from everywhere around them because the land they live on can't support the population.

Something else to consider, northern Cali and SoCal are two very very different places full of very different people.

That's ludicrous. It's just a sign of good economy. Japan has to import all their resources. So what? That's a good sign.

As far as geography goes, California is awesome. I love the Sierra Nevadas and Siskyous, and even parts of San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. If you removed 80% of the people, the state would be near-perfect.