Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeb Bush: "I used to be a Conservative..."

Dividing my time between the far east and the east coast.

Default Jeb Bush: "I used to be a Conservative..."

“I used to be a conservative and I watch these debates and I’m wondering, I don’t think I’ve changed, but it’s a little troubling sometimes when people are appealing to people’s fears and emotion rather than trying to get them to look over the horizon for a broader perspective and that’s kind of where we are,”
    This quote more or less describes my own feelings about the Republican field this election and the overall tack the party has taken in recent years. As things run their course, I think we'll be witnessing a metamorphosis, and a split or two, as the GOP conforms to the realities and expectations of the 21st Century. Its only natural. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by SBL; 02-24-2012 at 04:35 PM. Reason: "expell stations"??...thanks autocorrect

Dividing my time between the far east and the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    This quote more or less describes my own feelings about the Republican field this election and the overall tack the party has taken in recent years. As things run their course, I think we'll be witnessing a metamorphosis, and a split or two, as the GOP conforms to the realities and expel stations of the 21st Century. Its only natural. What do you guys think?
    I think it is in part caused by the partisan political process, candidates must differentiate themselves from their opponent. So we eventually get two extreme opposing camps. The moderates in both parties loose. Maybe it is time for The Rise of the Moderates.

Yes, there's something depressing about those candidates who try to out-Conservative each other into sheer irrelevancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I think it is in part caused by the partisan political process, candidates must differentiate themselves from their opponent. So we eventually get two extreme opposing camps. The moderates in both parties loose. Maybe it is time for The Rise of the Moderates.
    Spot on!

Berace for "...but then i took an arrow to the knee"-jokes...

^^ Some of the Republicans have come off looking so conservative that sometimes they make Barry look good in comparison.

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

Is Jeb the Crown Prince emergent, the Bush who really should have been President?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplanr View Post
    Is Jeb the Crown Prince emergent, the Bush who really should have been President?
    George HW Bush was president material the day he was born.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplanr View Post
    Yes. And I would say we will see more of him on the national stage in 4 - 8 years. Any time before that is too soon.

The mainstream news media in this country were remarkably successful in driving away the Republican candidates who might have had broader appeal this election cycle. The incumbent is safe for a second term. It isn't the economy, stupid. At least not this time around, which is fortunate for the incumbent.

Enjoying a maple-flavored breakfast sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    As someone who considers himself a moderate I'd say the Dems are doing this better than the Repubs right now. W won because he did moved to the middle better than Kerry or Gore. Whoever moves just enough to the middle wins. The problem for the R party right now is only those on the super far right can win the primaries. As left as most here think Obama is he's really much closer to the middle and that's why he won and will win again IMO.

hank

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    The incumbent is safe for a second term. It isn't the economy, stupid. At least not this time around, which is fortunate for the incumbent.
    Not really, approval ratings are still low for the incumbent; Romney is four points away in polls as a precandidate.

We in Florida miss Jeb. He's got my vote when he runs. The guy really is a breath of fresh air IMO.

I thought Herman Cain came off as an amateur at best and I could never comprehend, why he was celebrated for his oratory skills.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    So? What's wrong with that?
    I don't care. Maybe his wife does. Dude was ridiculous, he had no concept of foreign relations, didn't even know who we are at war with, or where Libya was.