Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Two U.S military officials shot dead in afghan interior ministry

Default Two U.S military officials shot dead in afghan interior ministry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17163322

Two members of the U.S. military were shot dead on Saturday inside the heavily barricaded Interior Ministry in the centre of the Afghan capital, Afghan security sources said, as anti-Western protests raged for a fifth day across the country.

General Allen visited the base where a previous incident happened a few days earlier, also killed were 2 soldiers and many wounded by Afghan dressed as an ANA soldier. Condolences to all the families.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqa3LrjSMNs

Oh sad!!! ISAF/NATO must avoid such accident...

To be accurate the article only says "NATO" officers, not U.S. ISAF did not give the nationality of those killed.

edit: never mind, it also says Afghan security forces claim they were an American Maj and Col.

Rest in Peace to the Colonel and Major.

Really sick of reading about this sort of thing happening. A couple American's accidentally burn some old, worn-out books so you go shoot 2 leaders of the nation helping you..This definitely isn't going to help the Afghan cause in any way.

daggerunit:
    [*******#333333]Oh sad!!! ISAF/NATO must avoid such [/COLOR]accident[*******#333333]...[/COLOR]
    Pardon? This wasn't an accident, this was deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    A couple American's accidentally burn some old, worn-out books so you go shoot 2 leaders of the nation helping you.
    Old book for you. For them it's saint book, core of their religion and culture. If some don't get that they better get out of A-stan ASAP cause they won't win s..... . So many years of "winning" hearts and minds and still no lessons learned.

Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar

According to Yon's blog, the 2 officers were found dead in an office, apparently assassinated by someone who is still on the loose.

I don't understand why command thought to burn the books...they should have delivered them to a local mullah and let them handle their destruction. Anytime you deal with objects of religion of people you turn it over to them if it has to be destroyed, never allowing any blame to come back on you. First rule of COIN is to negotiate with traditions in the local community, because you are always being watched.

Especially, my respect an condolences to all the families involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Trael View Post
    Old book for you. For them it's saint book, core of their religion and culture. If some don't get that they better get out of A-stan ASAP cause they won't win s..... . So many years of "winning" hearts and minds and still no lessons learned.
    It's not our fault if someone's a backward idiot. If you decide to murder someone because of a book whether you're Christian, Muslim, Jewish or an Atheist you are an evil person. The sooner humanity as well as Afghan's realize this, the world will be a (somewhat) more peaceful place. I don't really care about their cultural sensitivities.

Besides, it was a mistake and the US apologized. What happened to "bismillah al-rahman al-raheem"? This has nothing to do with their religion, and everything to do with their "culture" which IMO needs an upgrade.

I don't care if it was a new book written yesterday hot off the press, nothing justifies what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    I don't really care about their cultural sensitivities.
    Then good that you don't have power to make decisions on course of war. Nice to see people who can't learn from their country history.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruisercruiser
    I don't care if it was a new book written yesterday hot off the press, nothing justifies what happened.
    Well I'm not trying to justify anything. I just can't get it how after all this years someone do something stupid like burning Koran?

[SIZE=3][*******#333333][FONT=HelveticaNeue]NATO commander recalls all personnel from Afghan ministries after killing of two US soldiers inside Interior Ministry. [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]http://bbc.in/yHOLGF

Most people in Afghanistan can't read Arabic and can't even read Qur'an for themselves.

Burning is proper way to dispose of a Qur'an according to a Muslim imam on the news.

The Qur'an in question was being used to smuggle messages out of prison. Do you see people protesting that the Taliban were desecrating a Qur'an by writing in it?

This isn't about what happened to one Qur'an.

It seems that the Taleban insurgency is behind the hit.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/25/wo...html?hpt=hp_t1

Trael: Well I'm not trying to justify anything. I just can't get it how after all this years someone do something stupid like burning Koran?[/QUOTE]

Take a step back. Look at what you're saying. The United States didn't do a damn thing wrong but offend a bunch of people who are still stuck in the Middle Ages. Screw political correctness, it's a BOOK. If these people who say "basmala" everyday can't even do right by their own religion, they have no right to be offended at a few US soldier's who made an error. We shouldn't have to compromise with their crappy value system, they're the ones who need to move forward.

[LEFT][*******#292727][FONT=Lucida Grande]"This was not a decision that was made because they were religious materials," he said. "It was not a decision that was made with respect to the faith of Islam. It was a mistake. It was an error. The moment we found out about it, we immediately stopped and we intervened."
    [/FONT][/COLOR][*******#292727][FONT=Lucida Grande]A military official said the materials were removed from the detainee center's library because they had "extremist inscriptions" on them and there was "an [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    appearance[LEFT][*******#292727][FONT=Lucida Grande] that these documents were being used to facilitate extremist communications."[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    It's not like we could have given the books back to people with extremist writing all over them. These were detainee books which has been written on.

So much for respecting the Qu'ran, huh?

The proper thing to do would be to shred the books in my opinion. They do burn trash a lot in Afghanistan, though, so I understand why it happened.

What do you suggest they should have done?