Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Tappin extradited to US on missile charges

In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort

Default Christopher Tappin extradited to US on missile charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17162440

A Briton extradited to the US for allegedly selling batteries for Iranian missiles has been taken into custody after arriving in Texas.
    Retired businessman Christopher Tappin, 65, landed in Houston at 23:00GMT, after flying in from Heathrow.

He will make his first court appearance in El Paso on Monday.

Dan Cogdell, Mr Tappin's lawyer in the US, said he would "vigorously argue" for his client to be released on bail.
    "There is no reasonable basis to believe that he is a flight risk or a danger. He is a respected businessman with no criminal record whatsoever," Mr Cogdell told BBC News.

Mr Tappin, of Orpington, south-east London, has fought against extradition through the British courts after being charged in the US with conspiring to export batteries which could be used in Hawk air defence missiles.
    He faces a trial and a possible 35-year jail sentence - but says that he is the victim of entrapment.

Are the Batteries something generic or designed for the Missile system alone?

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Are the Batteries something generic or designed for the Missile system alone?
    I genuinely don't know. I've been trying to find out, to no avail. In a previous article on the case, it was reported "Mr Tappin, the former director of Surrey-based Brooklands International Freight Services, said he believed he was exporting batteries for the car industry in the Netherlands.".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16808153

Double post

I doubt they a AAA batterys.

Christopher Tappin, 63, faces extradition after being caught up in an FBI operation when he attempted to buy five industrial batteries which he believed were for use in the car industry.
    The batteries - made by Missouri-based EaglePicher Corporation - can be used to power the Hawk anti-air missile systems - a weapon system used by armed forces around the world, including Iran.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ile-sting.html

I have known Chris Tappin and his family for nearly 40 years and find the prospect of his imminent extradition to the USA distressing. The shipping transaction to Iran, which was undertaken on behalf of a US government front company, made Mr. Tappin $500 - a normal shipping fee. It is impossible for me to believe that a wealthy man, on the verge of retirement, would have risked everything for such a paltry sum. I have always known him to be a man of the highest integrity.
    Unless the Home Secretary, Theresa May, stops this process he will face the prospect of being forced into a plea bargaining position or end his days in an American prison. It is time we stood up for Mr. Tappin and other UK nationals and told the USA we wish to amend this treaty.
    http://www.nigelfaragemep.co.uk/

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

what Anti Aircraft Artillery AAA....good pun fella!

seriously though. he does have a point about Abu Qatada

SW Florida on the left coast, 10 min from the Gulf

Probobly thermal batteries which operate at very high temperatures and release high power for short periods of time. They have a shelf life of up to 20 years before use.

Without getting into a debate on the extradition treaty, surely the FBI have bigger fish to fry? Even if he was guilty (which I have serious doubts about) it's like busting a guy who sells an AK under the counter while letting the guys who sell truck loads of the stuff walk scot free.. All this bother over $500, I would not be at all shocked if any half rational judge in the states would tell the FBI not to waste his time with this bull****..

It's not the $500...it's supplying weaponry to a hostile state, one that may very soon have our own aircraft flying over in the not too distant future.

Besides, this is how business works. What if his company made 1,000 shipments to the same client per year?

What if this is an initial order?

There's still a lot of information missing.

Now of course, if our extradition arrangement with the US wasn't such a wholesale joke, the FBI would have been required to divulge that information before a judge in the UK in order to seek extradition. But that's by-the-by if we're not dealing with the treaty.

His point about Qatada is valid, and interesting. If you are shipping anything to Iran in the current climate, you had better be damned sure what you are shipping though. Pleading ignorance is merely ignorant in and of itself though. Still, shrewd realpolitik to bring Qatada up though, kudos for that.

And let me guess, the Dutch front company is operating out of Rotterdam...

Britain extradites its own citizens to the US ?

Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    It is called extradition. The jurisdiction which holds a person extradites that person to the jurisdiction requesting that person.

As does Germany, and a majority of other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    No, US Marshalls would have taken him, if that's what you're getting at.

If not, well, that's kind of how extraditions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Monty1985 View Post
    Without getting into a debate on the extradition treaty, surely the FBI have bigger fish to fry? Even if he was guilty (which I have serious doubts about) it's like busting a guy who sells an AK under the counter while letting the guys who sell truck loads of the stuff walk scot free.. All this bother over $500, I would not be at all shocked if any half rational judge in the states would tell the FBI not to waste his time with this bull****..
    The only fish that you can fry is the one that you have caught. Ever thought there is more to this story? Also ATF, does most of the illegal firearm sells. Also can you post a link where the FBI ever let someone off who sold a truck load of Illegal firearms? BTW, you do know we do have representatives from the various law enforcement agencies on this forum? So before you get your knickers in a twist, confirm your facts.

Common sense about this $500 sells, tells use there is more to this story. I doubt the person or his defense attorney would tell us. The media who knows what they leave out. The FBI, as with most agency will do their talking in court.

Do a search on Mr. Tappin, it is difficult to find real information out. Lots of spin.

I did find this question:

[SIZE=3]Why wont Christopher Tappin UK witnesses travel to the USA?[/SIZE]

Why wont Christopher Tappin UK witnesses travel to the USA?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/video/2012…

Surely if they think he is innocent they couldn't fly out to defend him?