Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: the Syrian UAV mystery

  1. #1
    Senior Member leloup46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    France
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,377

    Default the Syrian UAV mystery

    http://www.osgeoint.blogspot.com/201...over-kafr.html

    Syria (14 Feb 2012) UAV Captured on Video Over Kafr Batna

    [*******#000000][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The above freeze frames were captured from an amateur cameraman in Damascus over the skies of Kafr Batna, a small suburb. The video was uploaded to the internet on 14 February 2012.[/FONT][/COLOR]

    [*******#000000][FONT=Trebuchet MS]It was recently reported that the US was flying UAVs over Syria; however the UAV in the above freeze frames do not appear to be of US origin. Many have speculated that this unit comes from Iran, perhaps a Mohajer variant, while others put forward Israel's Heron. Another possibility yet, it could be a Syrian operated UAV but it's difficult to find any information on potential models in Syrian inventory.

    http://twitpic.com/8hdppy/full[/FONT][/COLOR]

  2. #2
    Senior Member kalerab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    10,703

    Default

    Weren´t there reports about Syrian army buying Mohajer 4 drone from Iran? If so it may be very well theirs.

  3. #3
    Senior Member flanker7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    cyprus
    Age
    37
    Posts
    8,833

    Default

    It sure doesn't look like a Heron, plus it's flying too low

  4. #4
    WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On Melancholy Hill
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flanker7 View Post
    It sure doesn't look like a Heron, plus it's flying too low
    Looks like it to me.




    Doesn't Turkey have a UAV that looks like that or is it still in the prototype phase?

  5. #5
    Senior Member leloup46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    France
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,377

    Default


  6. #6

    Default

    Assuming that the drone belongs to the Syrian gov't, it's might be an Iranian model. It matches the Mohajer in general description but some of the specifics - like the wing shape - are off. One candidate is this yet unnamed drone which some of us have been calling the "Pahpad" (Persian equivalent of U.A.V.). Note the similarity to the Seeker drone.

    The first picture is the Iranian drone during a wargame while the second picture was taken over Sudan (which I also suspect is an Iranian drone of the same type).
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by Backpacker; 02-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.

  7. #7
    Member mokokko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    göttingen
    Posts
    699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Token White Guy View Post
    Doesn't Turkey have a UAV that looks like that or is it still in the prototype phase?
    No . Turkey does not operate Heron over Syria.
    UAV s are so slow to operate skies of a foreign country . Plus Heron has some extensions both side of the fuselage .




  8. #8

    Default

    There are two features that point to it not being a Mohajer. For one, I don't think the wings have the correct aspect ratio: the one in the video has very narrow wings that only taper near the end like on the Seeker 2. The Mohajer-4 on the other hand has wings that have a very broad root and gradually tapers down the entire length of the wing. Second, this is hard to catch but in the first screenshot posted on OSGEOINT you can see that the vertical stabilizers appear to be connected to the boom in the middle rather than at the top as with the Mohajer-4.

    One area of difference between this drone and the Seeker (...and the Mohajer as well) is that it has significantly longer tail-booms, or at least the video makes it appear that way.
    Last edited by Backpacker; 02-25-2012 at 04:45 PM.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default reference

    To me the images posted by Backpacker are the best candidates for a match:

    Tails are connected right.
    The tail-fins extend below the stabilizers
    The stabilizers do not extend in front of the leading edges of the wings.
    The wings are not "predator-slim", but shorter and broarder. Also it seems that the line of the rear edge of the wings "breaks" in about the right place (but harder to get the leading edge to fit).

    Anyway, the idea of the drone not being operated by the Syrian regime seems very unlikely - considering the very indiscreet way it's being done.
    Last edited by joergen; 02-25-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: unclear

  10. #10
    Senior Member Halidon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,167

    Default

    Looks like a Jasoos or Mukbar from Pakistan.

  11. #11
    Senior Member G-AWZT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Age
    47
    Posts
    7,133

    Default

    By now I'm sure there are drones from several nations flying over Syrian hotspots.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Token White Guy View Post
    Looks like it to me.

    Doesn't Turkey have a UAV that looks like that or is it still in the prototype phase?
    You're thinking of Caldiran UAV. Well that is a more refined design then image posted of Syrian drone..
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

  13. #13
    Senior Member Jµµso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,695

    Default

    Sorry to be late for the party, but could it be ASN-206 (many different variants available) from China or Syrian variant of it?

    http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/uav/asn206.asp

  14. #14
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
    There are two features that point to it not being a Mohajer. For one, I don't think the wings have the correct aspect ratio: the one in the video has very narrow wings that only taper near the end like on the Seeker 2. The Mohajer-4 on the other hand has wings that have a very broad root and gradually tapers down the entire length of the wing. Second, this is hard to catch but in the first screenshot posted on OSGEOINT you can see that the vertical stabilizers appear to be connected to the boom in the middle rather than at the top as with the Mohajer-4.

    One area of difference between this drone and the Seeker (...and the Mohajer as well) is that it has significantly longer tail-booms, or at least the video makes it appear that way.
    Spot on. It looks, walks and quakes exactly like Denel Dynamics Seeker-II .

  15. #15
    Senior Member Martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,148

    Default

    Well it could be some kind of homemade UAV, look what amateur can do :

    http://youtu.be/B9DPy0zmiwk


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •