Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qatar named world's richest country

Banned user

Default Qatar named world's richest country

DUBAI: Qatar has been ranked as the world's wealthiest country in a new list compiled by the prestigious US magazine Forbes.

The Gulf State with a population of 1.7 million topped the list as the world's richest country per capita, thanks to a rebound in oil prices and its massive natural gas reserves.

Adjusted for purchasing power, Qatar booked an estimated gross domestic product per capita of more than $ 88,000 for 2010, Forbes said, compared with $ 47,500 for the UAE, which was placed sixth while Kuwait stood at 15th in the list.

Qatar, which will host the 2022 Football World Cup and is also in the running for the 2020 Olympic Games, has been a high-profile investor in recent times.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/w...w/12042720.cms

Banned user

5 out of 10 ten richest countries are from Asia!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bethgree...est-countries/

Quote Originally Posted by abhishek-nayak View Post
    5 out of 10 ten richest countries are from Asia!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bethgree...est-countries/
    If those countries are also in the top 10 "quality of life" list then we are talking.

Also:
    Hong-Kong not a country just a city
    Brunei population not even 500.000
    Singapore again just a city.
    Kuwait, Emirates -----oil money.

Of course if you want to play the Asia Strong!!!11!1! sure ....
    Last edited by Al-Bundy; 02-26-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Bundy View Post
    If those countries are also in the top 10 "quality of life" list then we are talking.
    that list is compiled taking into measure the PPP measure of economy which lays a special emphasis on the standards of living unlike the nominal measure.

that list is compiled taking into measure the PPP measure of economy which lays a special emphasis on the standards of living unlike the nominal measure.
    I would live my life in Moldova or native Albania( bottom 2 European countries) than in top 3 Arab countries every time you asked me.

Banned user

I would live my life in Moldova or native Albania( bottom 2 European countries) than in top 3 Arab countries every time you asked me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

see it for yourself
    Last edited by CrYsIs; 02-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.

He's from Albania....

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    He's from Albania....
    Yeah,i know, he mentioned it in his location column.But his assumptions that albania and eastern europe would be a better place to live than quatar or UAE is his own personal opinion.If you check the HDI index you would find many of the richest arab countries also have the highest standard of living where as Albania has a HDI lower than kazakstan,grenada,libya,costa rica and cuba.

Banned user

Before the soviets it was a pretty wealthy region, especially in medieval times.
    Because of the low wages and room for improvement, i'd say eastern-europe is going to outgrow western europe, that is if they leave the EU..

Yeah,i know, he mentioned it in his location column.But his assumptions that albania and eastern europe would be a better place to live than quatar or UAE is his own personal opinion.If you check the HDI index you would find many of the richest arab countries also have the highest standard of living where as Albania has a HDI lower than kazakstan,grenada,libya,costa rica and cuba.
    There are simple things that you do see on an HDI index like being able to see women in the streets like normal human beings and not some sort of horrors that need to be hidden from our sight. And some people in this world actually like women.

Dude you are missing the point!

Your article mentioned some "city-states" like Hong Kong(not a state by the way), Singapore, desert oil sheikdoms and Brunei of 400.000 people.
    By your logic we should also include Lichtenstein , Monaco, The Vatican as the richest countries in the world.

When someone mentions the word " Asian country" i am imagining countries like Japan and Vietnam but not Hong-Kong or Macau.
    When someones mentions the word "European country" i am thinking about Austria or Portugal but not Andora, San Marino, Lichnestein ... The Vatican.

Also who wants to live in the Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar... without being able to enjoy the simple things in life.

As others point out.
    “Also, in some countries, the wealth is equally distributed, while in others it’s very unequally distributed,” Clementi says. “In Qatar, for example, the way it’s distributed is very unequal, and much of the population is actually very poor. The GDP is high because of oil revenues.”
    Hope they get better.

Banned user

Dude you are missing the point!

Your article mentioned some "city-states" like Hong Kong(not a state by the way), Singapore, desert oil sheikdoms and Brunei of 400.000 people.
    By your logic we should also include Lichtenstein , Monaco, The Vatican as the richest countries in the world.

When someone mentions the word " Asian country" i am imagining countries like Japan and Vietnam but not Hong-Kong or Macau.
    When someones mentions the word "European country" i am thinking about Austria or Portugal but not Andora, San Marino, Lichnestein ... The Vatican.

Also who wants to live in the Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar... without being able to enjoy the simple things in life.
    My posts are based on official stats given by institutes of repute like UN and IMF,if you want to add HR and freedom index to it then i agree with you that those lands are not fit for 21st century living.

Another 3rd rate oil rich gulf country. The way they treat Asians ( Indian/Pakistani/Phillipinos ) and many others from third world just shows how primitive they are.

Not to mention totally a dumbass and lazy local population. Good for nothing except driving cars at stupid speeds on the highways....!!!!

They can keep their money ....

I like oil rich countries like Norway. compare a Norweigen with a Qatari .....AND YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ...!!!!

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by ACDC View Post
    Another 3rd rate oil rich gulf country. The way they treat Asians ( Indian/Pakistani/Phillipinos ) and many others from third world just shows how primitive they are.

Not to mention totally a dumbass and lazy local population. Good for nothing except driving cars at stupid speeds on the highways....!!!!

They can keep their money ....

I like oil rich countries like Norway. compare a Norweigen with a Qatari .....AND YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ...!!!!

all of us have already reached to a conclusion that many rich ME countries are rich because of their oil resources which they have disproportional to their size.We also know that those country may have loads of cash and resources but their culture and civilization does not match the ethos of 21century.They can best be described as a rich medieval country in the 21st century.