Thread: Merrill's Marauders(1944)(No other combat footage of the unit exists)

Default Merrill's Marauders(1944)(No other combat footage of the unit exists)

ARC Identifier 603003 / Local Identifier 200-QUAID-2. This film covers the secret campaign, under General Frank D. Merrill, to reopen the Burma Road behind enemy lines during World War II. The film was photographed and produced by David L. Quaid.

Of 2,750 Marauders who enetered Burma in February 1944, by August 1944 only 2 had been either Wounded or come down hospitalized with serious tropical diseases. There were 130 effectives left on disbandment. One of the little known aspects was the Nisei Interpreters assigned to the Unit. SSG Roy Matsumoto was one, His parents lived in Hiroshima with his 4 brothers and 2 sisters

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    SSG Roy Matsumoto was one, His parents lived in Hiroshima with his 4 brothers and 2 sisters
    Further interesting facts about SSG Matsumoto: He is credited with saving the lives of over 800 Servicemen in the CBI/IB theater, not to mention his own battalion twice. He also successfully rescued his brother from a labor camp in China and interrogated one of his relatives who was in the IJA.

(right)

Well LD since you are so knowledgeable about the subject, what's your opinion on the deployment of the Marauders to CBI, their leadership, and their overall contribution to the war effort?

Great video, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisroyalhighness View Post
    Well LD since you are so knowledgeable about the subject, what's your opinion on the deployment of the Marauders to CBI, their leadership, and their overall contribution to the war effort?
    They were just another Regiment in Burma among the many of the 14th Army and Nationalist Chinese forces who never get recognition. They were kept in the line far too long by Stilwell who would have been arrested and court martialed today for his callousness towards their casualties.

I knew an Officer who retired in 1968 and wore a Merrill's Marauders combat patch.

He never regretted a day of it.

Hardship is just that and those guys endured it.

Not all considered themselves victims.

That's an impressive rate of fire on the pack howitzer. Even if it broke down for manual transport, it must have been an absolute ***** to transport through the jungle. Great footage.

The CBI, another forgotten aspect in the history of the Allied experience in WW2. If one were to listen to the mainstream ideas of WW2, it would seem that only the Airborne and Marines won the war with Dday, the Bulge, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. Very few even know that there were major engagements in the "CBI" or their overall affect on the war against the Empire. I know of one US unit that made more glider drops than the more well known units in Europe.

Saw a movie not long ago,you know a hollywood type,kinda funny Im Nam CIB bronze star vet,you know I cant remember thought I saw something on onen of the war shows World at war didnt Victory at Sea have somethin, God bless America!