Thread: Spouse Gets KIA notification via Social Media text...

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Default Spouse Gets KIA notification via Social Media text...

Some people shouldn't be allowed near computers...

The blame for an Army spouse learning of her husbandís combat death via text last week rests squarely on the shoulders of other spouses within the unit, not on a failure of the Army notification process, a Fort Stewart official told SpouseBUZZ today.

http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2012/02/a...tion-text.html

Buenos Aires in body, the beautiful and green Sharon in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    Some people shouldn't be allowed near computers...

The blame for an Army spouse learning of her husband’s combat death via text last week rests squarely on the shoulders of other spouses within the unit, not on a failure of the Army notification process, a Fort Stewart official told SpouseBUZZ today.

http://spousebuzz.com/blog/2012/02/a...tion-text.html
    Some people are ****ing morons, they do not have any respect or decency.

That's...really disgusting. RIP Sgt. Born.

Shameful. But if the unit didn't fail at any point how did ANY spouse have this information at all?
    [LEFT][*******#000000]So here’s the problem with this whole thing: the Army’s casualty notification process relies on a combination of trusting spouses who do have privileged information (whether rightly or wrongly – and sometimes they get it through no fault or action of their own."
    Why does any spouse have any "privelaged" information?[/COLOR][/LEFT]

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

They shouldn't. Period. But if they do hear about it Twitter or Faceyspace shouldn't be a frigging option.

It used to be policy that all MWR computers within a Brigade and Phones were shut down after a fatality to give the Team back in the USA time to notify the NOK.

Now schmucks call home after a firefight or IED and buddy **** their dead brothers by telling all before a team can do its job. its shameful.

I've got firsthand experience of this though not in a military setting. A few years ago I was going to meet my friend Geoff at a local pub at opening time. Geoff got there ahead of me to find the pub closed and a few people outside including the girlfriend of Ian the landlord. Since Geoff used to rent a room in the pub he still had a key and let himself and the girlfriend in where unfortunately they found Ian had passed away in his sleep the night before. I arrived a few minutes later to find news of this had gotten down the crowd outside, one of whom immediately posted it on facebook before the police and ambulance service had even arrived. I spent the next two hours phoning and visiting people (Some of whom had known Ian for thirty years) to give them the bad news so they'd hear it from someone in person rather than on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    That's...really disgusting. RIP Sgt. Born.
    X2 Wtf. Where is the respect?

This is what those wives on "army spouse blog" would do just to show how much connections they have to receive such details before anyone else.

Women........

Quote Originally Posted by Death. View Post
    Women........
    Aint just the womens fault. they wouldnt know if the Joes werent calling, texting, e-mailing them in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    It used to be policy that all MWR computers within a Brigade and Phones were shut down after a fatality to give the Team back in the USA time to notify the NOK.

Now schmucks call home after a firefight or IED and buddy **** their dead brothers by telling all before a team can do its job. its shameful.
    They should re-institute that policy with stern consequences. This should not be how a spouse finds out, f'ing ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    They should re-institute that policy with stern consequences. This should not be how a spouse finds out, f'ing ridiculous.
    In 2008 I was at our Armory when the BC was giving a briefing to the AGR staff about some casualties we'd had among the deployed element. Names were not even known by the BC yet. While in the orderly room, phone rang and its SPC."R" on the line from Kandahar talking about the Ambush who was wounded, who was dead, who was missing. He was talking to one of the clerks.

He gave a name of Spc. Pel**tier as KIA. MY NCOIC told him to STFU and not call again with names. We had all known the kid named and were broken up and then the Official word comes in that SPC. Pal***tier was the KIA, a Totally different Joe. Caused a ruckus as imagined and later that day the State CSM sent down a Priorty E-Mail telling Officers and NCO's to do their damn jobs and stop people from disseminating info and names until the Casualty Notification teams had done their job.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post

The policy is still in effect. In the event of a death or serious injury, everything but SIPR and NIPR net gets shut down until the family can get notified. Or TF policy was that if you managed to contact someone, and they could prove it, they were going to hang you out to dry.