Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan Upgrades Air-to-Air

Default Japan Upgrades Air-to-Air

[SIZE=4]Japan Upgrades Air-to-Air[/SIZE]

Feb 28, 2012

By Bradley Perrett
    Tokyo

Japan already has bought Raytheon AIM-120 Amraams, so why is it spending ¥36 billion ($468 million) to upgrade about 60 F-2 fighters with the Mitsubishi Electric Corp. AAM-4B missile?

Although the benefits to Japanese industry are obvious, details of the upgrade and the missile itself suggest that the program is giving an enormous boost to the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries fighter’s ability to counter enemy aircraft. The weapon has at least one advanced feature that other such missiles lack: a seeker with an active, electronically scanned array (AESA) radar.
    Article continued @ Aviation Week

I come from the Land of the Ice and Snow from the Midnight sun where the hot springs blow

Sounds like a pretty advance missle to me. Good read thanks.

An AESA missile seeker? Finally. Congratulations Japan.

Nice Missile, gives the F-2 a slightly longer reach.

l tell Chinese friends all the time, be careful with the way that you get worked up into a nationalistic frenzy over the Japanese. The anger over Japan's actions in the past is totally understandable, when idiots like the mayor of Nagoya make statements like he recently did, I can understand that Chinese people get upset.

However, when Chinese actions towards Japan make the Japanese feel threatened, a mistake is being made. Despite the crimes of their ancestors, the Japan of today is no danger to its neighbors. But if the Japanese start to get the sense that their neighbor's rhetoric has gone too far and they are actually under threat, this is a nation that has the capacity to rapidly become a military behemoth.

...nice missile.

l tell Chinese friends all the time, be careful with the way that you get worked up into a nationalistic frenzy over the Japanese. The anger over Japan's actions in the past is totally understandable, when idiots like the mayor of Nagoya make statements like he recently did, I can understand that Chinese people get upset.

However, when Chinese actions towards Japan make the Japanese feel threatened, a mistake is being made. Despite the crimes of their ancestors, the Japan of today is no danger to its neighbors. But if the Japanese start to get the sense that their neighbor's rhetoric has gone too far and they are actually under threat, this is a nation that has the capacity to rapidly become a military behemoth.

...nice missile.

Banned user

the Japan of today is no danger to its neighbors
    Their Navy still strong in Asia. I think except U.S Navy 7th fleet, current strength of japan maritime self-defense force is N.o2 in East Asia, their duty just was limited by National Peace Constitution.
    Our ppl had learned lessons by japanese in the sad history, notice the Japan in case of tragedy happen again.

Anyway nice missile ... maybe future Japan will sell them to other nations, (they have been discussing whether need to abandon "three principles of Japan arms export /武器出口三原则") and i know most japanese support japan to build and own nuclear weapons, prepare to lock who ???

Their Navy still strong in Asia. I think except U.S Navy 7th fleet, current strength of japan maritime self-defense force is N.o2 in East Asia, their duty just was limited by National Peace Constitution.
    You are right, the JMSDF is quite capable, but its not just their duty that they have limited, but also the types of equipment that they employ. This is a deliberate policy on their part that could change to the great detriment of the region as a whole.

Our ppl had learned lessons by japanese in the sad history, notice the Japan in case of tragedy happen again.
    Indeed. The crimes that were committed should never be forgotten. The unwillingness of some Japanese to face up to their national past is unacceptable and should be addressed in a concerted and appropriate way. However, any time in a Chinese chat room will show you that many Chinese people, especially the "feng qing" or angry youth, take their reaction too far and often openly advocate committing the same kinds of crimes that were perpetrated by the Japanese.

Anyway nice missile ... maybe future Japan will sell them to other nations, (they have been discussing whether need to abandon "three principles of Japan arms export /武器出口三原则") and i know most japanese support japan to build and own nuclear weapons, prepare to lock who ???
    This is exactly what I am talking about. Why is it that they are discussing exporting arms or gaining a nuclear capability? Does it have something to do with the kinds of expressions of hatred towards Japanese people that they occasionally see on the evening news? BTW I disagree with your assertion that most Japanese support this option, but if you can provide a source I will consider it.

This AESA ALRAAM missile is practically an air-launched ABM with the ducted ramjet + DPRM combination Japan's arming it with (unless I'm wrong, ALRAAMs operational today still use only one or the other means to increase range and speed, not both at the same time). The missile's engagement envelope will include many short-range theater ballistic missiles if there is enough early warning from BMD radars or sensor drones. ECCM helps the missile break through electronic disturbances; simultaneously, passive sensors on the launching aircraft pin-point the location of the disturbance source and transmit targeting data through datalink to other aircraft. F-15J/DJ and F-2 are getting upgraded IRSTs, ESMs and AESA radar to aid targeting.

The first sensor fusion and dedicated 'counter-stealth' package in the Asian hemisphere... I think.

Some more info in English...

my ability to look for Japanese materials on the missile is very limited. I'm relying on very little translations. This site has a full collection of thesis materials on almost every Japanese next-gen defense program but most of them are not translated.

http://www.kjclub.com/jp/exchange/ph...81%8F%E3%82%8A
    Last edited by Ambassador; 02-12-2013 at 02:31 PM.

More Ingurishi on the TRDI Next-Generation Air-to-Air Missile.

I wanna entertain a moment to think, which target would this missile have easier time catching, a Raptor or a ballistic missile?

Unless you're talking about hitting a missile in the boost phase like NCADE, the engagement envelope against an incoming ballistic missile will be very limited. Even a much bigger missile like the proposed air-launched Patriot was limited in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Elbs View Post
    Unless you're talking about hitting a missile in the boost phase like NCADE, the engagement envelope against an incoming ballistic missile will be very limited. Even a much bigger missile like the proposed air-launched Patriot was limited in this regard.
    I was thinking something like NCADE is indeed what Japan is aiming at. Depending on the missile's capability compared to AMRAAM, it may suit the role of an AABM better. I was actually going to post about it here today.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...-amraam-03305/

Japan may be desiring better airborne capabilities to intercept supersonic/hypersonic AShMs that are becoming increasingly lethal against warships, and also potentially anti-ship BMs of China in the future. The intended targets of the NG-AAM could be more specific (smaller, shorter range) than generic targets like a Scud missile. For example, some high-maneuverability tactical missiles like ATACMS have shaped trajectories that help them reduce probability of detection by air defense or counter-artillery radar. Ironically, the shaped trajectory that takes advantage of ground-based radars' limited FOV can also make it somewhat easier to track from the air. We'll know more of Japan's airborne BMD capability once Japan releases the results from future tests.
    Last edited by Ambassador; 04-03-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Defender of the Man Code

Well I guess we know who they have this in mind for.......

As you can discern from the DID article above, a key aspect of the NCADE is detecting the IR signature of a missile in the boost phase before it is able to deploy countermeasures. Japan is advancing its airborne IRCCM technology on missiles and on aircraft to better cope against the reduced IR signature capabilities of next-generation air and missile threats. The Type 04 'AAM-5 Kai' is Japan's newest IR-guided ASRAAM, with similar off-bore targeting and IRCCM capabilities as AIM-9X.

Comparison of NCADE: