Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kalashnikov AK-12 Unveiled

That's a pretty nice gun. I like the 60 round mag idea. I know it's been around for a while but that's probably my favorite feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Death. View Post
    I want one.
    x2. Me too.

Nice features in a rifle meant for expendable conscripts.

Would be interesting to see how this performs compared to a Valmet or FNC.

I have always been curious about sights on Russian rifles. How and why did they arrive on that design?

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post

If any soldiers get them they will be going to Professional/Elite (Read: Non Conscript) formations first and foremost
    Expendable Conscripts? How long ago are you truely thinking?

Anyway, it looks interesting to see where this system goes, given the already vast quantities of 74s and their variants in service. Has there been any real evulation of this via likely end users?

Quote Originally Posted by T-5 Killer View Post
    I have always been curious about sights on Russian rifles. How and why did they arrive on that design?
    I have fired 2 different AKs (Chinese and Bulgarian IIRC) and both pretty common sights (Basic bullhorn...like looking at a letter "I" through a lettter "U"). I can't say why the producers would choose that set up except maybe its good for aquiring targets quickly? I don't know. Personally I hate it and see no advantage over a peep sight, but that's just my preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    I have fired 2 different AKs (Chinese and Bulgarian IIRC) and both pretty common sights (Basic bullhorn...like looking at a letter "I" through a lettter "U"). I can't say why the producers would choose that set up except maybe its good for aquiring targets quickly? I don't know. Personally I hate it and see no advantage over a peep sight, but that's just my preference.
    Same here I really like the peep sight. I just wonder if its a doctrine thing with the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post

I'd love to shoot my RK TP and this new gun side by side too.

Though I'd think they will give this gun to the spearhead people first.
    Or, as the gun market is indeed such an international trade, maybe this model is just a natural continuation. I think there's a few guys out there who'd like to buy one (Me, for example)

I did wonder about one thing, though... Is it just my eyes, or was there two models of the gun, one with a longer barrel, and one with a shorter one? Or was it just the UGL that makes the barrel look shorter?

Hum, vast improvement, especially on selector placement. Still I would have done a few other things like have the foregrip go further up, and I don't know why they still went with fixed sights.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    You are suppose to aim below the target with those sites......the idea is to not obscure the target with your fron sight. the center of impact (or whatever they call it) is above your front site "I" and inside your front side "U" with the rear sight set to range and lined up with top of he front site "I". At least that is the way I understand it. When you aim this way (which seems unnatural) you have a clear view of what you shooting at.

Nice looking rifle. Is this something the Russian military plans on adoptin? As the Russian arms industry designs a lot of weapons but few seem to be adopted as of late.