Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 14161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Korean People's Army Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Impartial Bias View Post
    That said, can you ID the ATGMs?

Doesn't look like any I've ever seen. Domestically designed and made?
    Probably it's Norh Korean Bulsae-3 ATGM..

So far, only a few pics of the parade tanks have appeared including one unconfirmed type fitted with external ATGMs/tubes. It looks like three MBT types were parade: the "vanilla" T-54/55, the Chonma I (T-62 with SAM), and the still unconfirmed ATGM-equipped tank. It's hard to say at this point if the paraded ATGM is the same as the "Bulsae-3" shown fitted to the Seon'gun-915 in the new museum. The only pic of the ATGM tank to appear so far is shown below... I've also included a pic of what is probably the "Bulsae-2" (AT-4 equivalent) not from the parade, for comparison.

Chonma-I:

Parade ATGM-equipped tank:

"Bulsae-2" (AT-4 equivalent):

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warford View Post
    So far, only a few pics of the parade tanks have appeared including one unconfirmed type fitted with external ATGMs/tubes. It looks like three MBT types were parade: the "vanilla" T-54/55, the Chonma I (T-62 with SAM), and the still unconfirmed ATGM-equipped tank.
    I'm quite sure the third tank is the Chonma-216.

They've their own armaments industry that develops some pretty low end tech, about 70's equivalency to what the USSR was producing at the time. I wouldn't doubt their capability to design and build domestic ATGM's, afterall they build their own Russian knockoff ATGM's. The knowledge is there. I wouldn't expect anything advanced though. Maybe something along the lines of an AT-4 in terms of sophistication.
    Thanks for clarifying. My mind wandered off onto the missiles that other countries like South Africa, Turkey,... etc developed and I mixed those things up with North Korean things. I know that they reverse engineer many military products such as SA-14, SA-16, Scuds, and even the KN-06 ( probably an attemp at rebuilding the S-300s)... and I even saw a reverse engineered BTR-70 or BTR-80 many pages back.
    Last edited by Tin; 07-28-2013 at 05:49 AM.

Kim Jong Un (C) cuts a ceremonial ribbon formally opening the renovated Victorious Fatherland Liberation War (Korean War) Museum in Pyongyang on 27 July 2013 (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

Foreign guests walk around a lobby in the renovated Fatherland Liberation War (Korean War) Museum in Pyongyang on 27 July 2013 (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

Senior DPRK officials and invited foreign guests watch the fireworks display “We will always emerge victorious!” from an outdoor venue near the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War (Korean War) monuments in Po’tonggang District in central Pyongyang on 27 July 2013. Visible in the background (L) is the Ryugyo’ng Hotel and an apartment tower for senior DPRK Cabinet officials (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

Kim Jong Un (C) watches a fireworks display in Pyongyang on 27 July 2013. Also in attendance in the first row with him are his uncle NDC Vice Chairman Jang Song Taek (L), Director of the KPA General Political Department VMar Choe Ryong Hae (2nd L), Chinese Vice President Li Yuanchao (2nd R) and SPA Presidium President Kim Yong Nam (R). In the second row are Chief of the KPA General Staff Gen. Kim Kyok Sik (L) and Kim Jong Un’s aunt and Vice Chairman Jang’s wife, KWP Secretary and department director Kim Kyong Hui (3rd R) (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

Kim Jong Un (C) visits Ku’msusan Palace of the Sun in Pyongyang on 27 July 2013 to pay his respects to his father, late leader Kim Jong Il, and his grandfather, late DPRK President and founder Kim Il Sung. Also seen in attendance with him are Gen. Kim Won Hong (L), VMar Kim Yong Chun (2nd L), Col. Gen. Jang Jong Nam (3rd L) Gen. Kim Kyok Sik (4th L), Jang Song Taek (5th L), VMar Choe Ryong Hae (6th L), Kim Yong Nam (6th R), Pak Pong Ju (5th R), Kim Kyong Hui (4th R), Kim Ki Nam (3rd R) Choe Tae Bok (2nd R) and Yang Hyong Sop (R) (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

A Korean People’s Army honor guard representing the KPA’s three service branches and the Worker-Peasant Red Guard line the chamber containing the statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il in the Ku’msusan (Memorial) Palace of the Sun in Pyongyang on 27 July 2013 (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

VMar Choe Ryong Hae, Director of the KPA General Political Department (C) poses for a commemorative photograph with a delegation of the Vietnam People’s Army’s General Political Department in Pyongyang on 28 July 2013 (Photo: Rodong Sinmun)

Minister of the People’s Armed Forces Col. Gen. Jang Jong Nam (4th R) poses for a commemorative photograph with a delegation of Chinese People’s Volunteers who served in the Korean War in Pyongyang on 29 July 2013 (Photo: KCNA)

Minister of the People’s Armed Forces Col. Gen. Jang Jong Nam (R) shakes hands with Korean War Veterans Council of Russia Vice Chairman Ya. V. Kanov (L) in Pyongyang on 30 July 2013 (Photo: KCNA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Warford View Post
    So far, only a few pics of the parade tanks have appeared including one unconfirmed type fitted with external ATGMs/tubes. It looks like three MBT types were parade: the "vanilla" T-54/55, the Chonma I (T-62 with SAM), and the still unconfirmed ATGM-equipped tank. It's hard to say at this point if the paraded ATGM is the same as the "Bulsae-3" shown fitted to the Seon'gun-915 in the new museum. The only pic of the ATGM tank to appear so far is shown below... I've also included a pic of what is probably the "Bulsae-2" (AT-4 equivalent) not from the parade, for comparison.

Chonma-I:

Parade ATGM-equipped tank:

"Bulsae-2" (AT-4 equivalent):

These are North Korean licensed-produced copies of the AT-5 "Spandrel" ( 9M113 Konkurs ).

Quote Originally Posted by Quarant View Post
    These are North Korean licensed-produced copies of the AT-5 "Spandrel" ( 9M113 Konkurs ).
    Quarant; thanks for the clarification...

Quote Originally Posted by ISNJH View Post
    Can anyone tell what unit or force these soldiers are supposed to be and why do they have packs with Nuclear sign on them.

Are these guys supposed to be nuclear demolition troops?
    Just saw this article [SIZE=3]North Korea Claims to Have Nuclear Suicide Bombers
    [/SIZE]
    [FONT=Georgia]The North Koreans have added a new element to their standard military pageantry: At a military parade on Saturday, units of soldiers were [/FONT]seen[FONT=Georgia] wearing packs, like backwards backpacks, with fallout symbols on them. Apparently, Kim Jong-Un's military wants the world to think that they have, or are close to developing, a tactical nuclear device small enough to fit in a backpack. In fact, in [/FONT]2011[FONT=Georgia], DailyNK reported that the North Koreans had established a "backpack bomb unit." It's pretty unlikely that the nation possesses the advanced technology to miniaturize their weapons enough for such a device, but it is impossible to be sure. This kernel of a doubt is what North Korea is trying to leverage.[/FONT]
    [SIZE=2]http://www.policymic.com/articles/57...uicide-bombers[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by omen90 View Post
    Just saw this article [SIZE=3]North Korea Claims to Have Nuclear Suicide Bombers
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]http://www.policymic.com/articles/57...uicide-bombers[/SIZE]
    They could be for decontamination.

that might be but DailyNK reported that DPRK "[FONT=Georgia]had established a "backpack bomb unit." [/FONT]

But I would have to agree if it was any type of bomb it might be more likely to be a small dirty radiation bomb to seed an area with radiation.

In A Mexican Standoff with some hombre, esé, and vato.

Quote Originally Posted by ISNJH View Post
    that might be but DailyNK reported that DPRK "[FONT=Georgia]had established a "backpack bomb unit." [/FONT]

But I would have to agree if it was any type of bomb it might be more likely to be a small dirty radiation bomb to seed an area with radiation.
    Smoke and mirrors, I think.

Those 'nuclear vest' things look ridiculous, and are most likely designed just for the intimidation factor (like those fake rockets they have a tendency of parading). They are supposed to look scary, and that's it. I also find it interesting that this is the biggest parade yet. They're certainly upping their ante after the embarrassment they faced through the bluff they pulled in this most recent 'escalation'. They know they look weak, they made threats, no one took them very seriously. They're trying to look STRONG11!1 again.

I also suspect there has been a rift of some sort in the country. Some are bound to have taken notice of the impact the escalation caused. Rumor's of doubt going around among some of their top Party Members. Lower crop yields this year. Fuel shortage has been exacerbated.

It'll be an interesting winter.

Banned user

People's Democratic Republic of Korea use M3 sub machineguns? Where do they get those guns?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_submachine_gun

Smoke and mirrors, I think.

Those 'nuclear vest' things look ridiculous, and are most likely designed just for the intimidation factor (like those fake rockets they have a tendency of parading). They are supposed to look scary, and that's it. I also find it interesting that this is the biggest parade yet. They're certainly upping their ante after the embarrassment they faced through the bluff they pulled in this most recent 'escalation'. They know they look weak, they made threats, no one took them very seriously. They're trying to look STRONG11!1 again.

I also suspect there has been a rift of some sort in the country. Some are bound to have taken notice of the impact the escalation caused. Rumor's of doubt going around among some of their top Party Members. Lower crop yields this year. Fuel shortage has been exacerbated.

It'll be an interesting winter.
    ahem Kim is the summer king but "Winter is coming"

It would not take much for the North Korean government to make small dirty backpack bombs so that would well be in their capability. but to make a mini nuclear bomb in amount of time and get so many made as shown in picture highly unlikely...

Forgive my ignorance again but if those packs were indeed nuclear bombs, then I am MICKEY MOUSE!!!

By the way, to answer hablarchino[*******#3E3E3E] 's question, those submachine guns were in service during WW2. The United States at the time provided support to many groups fighting the Nazi and their allies; the North Koreans might got some as a result, and there was also the Korean war.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Tin; 08-01-2013 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hablarchino View Post
    People's Democratic Republic of Korea use M3 sub machineguns? Where do they get those guns?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_submachine_gun
    The Chinese used some M3A1 copies during the Korean War.

EDIT: OH wait, it actually says so on the Wikipedia page a few lines above.

How do you see the difference with the Fagot?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kndr3.jpg 
Views:	8568 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	206007

Anyway, this picture seems to show quite clearly that the new ATGMs are Fagot/Konkurs that can be fired from the inside of the tank. Strangely though, it's almost as if this is another ATGM then the one seen in the video, despite the fact that it's the same tanks on the same date.