Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: Merkel forges alliance against Hollande(french presidancy candidate)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,459

    Default Merkel forges alliance against Hollande(french presidancy candidate)

    With the survival of "Merkozy" at stake, German Chancellor Angela Merkel has inserted herself into the French presidential election on behalf of her eurozone partner, President Nicolas Sarkozy.(...)Merkel views the preservation of her partnership with Sarkozy as an important element in the timely resolution of the eurozone crisis, despite their rocky start, numerous disagreements, and natural rivalry. The devil that Merkel now knows well, and has spent considerable capital cultivating, is preferable to the devil she doesn't know, and can only speculate about -- a socialist who, while pro-European, has bashed the financial sector, disparaged austerity, and promised to maintain social spending.
    http://eurasia.foreignpolicy.com/pos...eserve_merkozy

    http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2012-03/merkel-buendnis-hollande (in german )


    I hope the French people will tell Merkel to **** off and not meddle with internal french affairs.
    Last edited by my name again; 03-04-2012 at 05:49 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member joka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    European Union
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by my name again View Post
    http://eurasia.foreignpolicy.com/pos...eserve_merkozy

    http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2...dnis-hollande( in german )


    I hope the French people will tell Merkel to **** off and not meddle with internal french affairs.
    It's not ok for her to voice her opinion about French elections, but it is for you? How about you **** off instead?

    American analysis of EU affairs, sucks as usual.

  3. #3
    Senior Member szr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joka View Post
    It's not ok for her to voice her opinion about French elections, but it is for you? How about you **** off instead?

    American analysis of EU affairs, sucks as usual.
    Antonio Barroso is from Spain.

    Doofus.

  4. #4
    Senior Member leloup46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    France
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    Antonio Barroso is from Spain.

    Doofus.
    Actually he is Portuguese. And WTF does he have to do with that story ? As EU-commission President, he is neutral.

  5. #5
    Senior Member szr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leloup46 View Post
    Actually he is Portuguese. And WTF does he have to do with that story ? As EU-commission President, he is neutral.
    Try clicking some of the links and reading some of the other posts in this thread. I'll give you one hint: Josť Manuel Barroso isn't Antonio Barroso is from Spain.

  6. #6
    Senior Member leloup46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    France
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    Try clicking some of the links and reading some of the other posts in this thread. You'll figure it out eventually.
    my mistake, I actually looked for a "Barroso connection" in the links (the German one doesn't work) and thought it was a reference to the one I named. You mean the author of the FP article.
    The article is from February and probably as the German one does, it assesses that European leaders (specifically Germany here) prefer Sarkozy. And I understand them because he has been doing a major job internationally. Cameron supports him too. It's normal that European "conservative" parties support somebody within the same political family, it has always been the custom. Nothing to do with "meddling".

  7. #7
    buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Beim Barte des Proleten!
    Posts
    15,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joka View Post
    It's not ok for her to voice her opinion about French elections, but it is for you? How about you **** off instead?

    American analysis of EU affairs, sucks as usual.
    Indeed. Merkel also decided not to meet with right wing candidate Marie Le Pen but I'm yet to hear the outrage about that.

    Why would a Conservative politician let a Socialist exploit her popularity anyway?

    The original post lacks of pragmatism, realism and intelligence.

    Having said this, isn't my name again German?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bleifuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ubi libertas, ibi patria
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,034

    Default

    I'm dissapointed , I thought we are going to invade Holland again

  9. #9
    Senior Member leloup46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    France
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bleifuss View Post
    I'm dissapointed , I thought we are going to invade Holland again
    no but maybe Poland. The French socialists made a big deal about "the invasion of Polish plumbers" when the Constitutional Treaty went on referendum. The threat was deemed so severe that the French voted no.

  10. #10
    Senior Member szr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leloup46 View Post
    no but maybe Poland. The French socialists made a big deal about "the invasion of Polish plumbers" when the Constitutional Treaty went on referendum. The threat was deemed so severe that the French voted no.
    Sounds like the perfect bonding activity to further strengthen Franco-British relations.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leloup46 View Post
    no but maybe Poland. The French socialists made a big deal about "the invasion of Polish plumbers" when the Constitutional Treaty went on referendum. The threat was deemed so severe that the French voted no.
    Except that the socialists called to vote yes remember? The Polish Plumber was at first de Villiers and extreme right rhetoric, then the extreme left also started to use it.

    The socialists and Holland himself always said it was xenephobic.


    But whatever.



    The rest is not surprising, the European conservatives leaders and the socialists leaders belong to the same groups at the EU parliament (The UMP, CDU etc..., are in the christian democrats group, the PS, SPD, Labour, in the social democrat group. the UK conservative are in the "conservative" group a split faction of the christian democrats group, but they're not fooling anyone), so they support each other since they're on the same side, how shocking...

  12. #12
    L O L A JCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    disinformation central
    Age
    35
    Posts
    14,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tluassa View Post
    The day socialists take over the German Bundestag is the day hell freezes over
    The last time this happened was 1998.
    Also, brave words from a FDP man

  13. #13
    Senior Member Mackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Stuttgart
    Posts
    7,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    The last time this happened was 1998.
    Also, brave words from a FDP man
    And ended up in conservative politics.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ivan le Fou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    6,239

    Default

    Hollande is not a very lucky candidate

    The Europe, part of it at least, is against him and he is not even supported by his own party. All the PS members keep criticizing him on various subjects, most of them being utterly irrelevant but since our medias are pretty talented in turning unimportant things into polemical topics...

    Anyway, I guess I won't vote.

  15. #15
    Senior Member leloup46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    France
    Age
    68
    Posts
    3,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bidoul33t View Post
    Except that the socialists called to vote yes remember? The Polish Plumber was at first de Villiers and extreme right rhetoric, then the extreme left also started to use it.

    The socialists and Holland himself always said it was xenephobic.


    But whatever.



    The rest is not surprising, the European conservatives leaders and the socialists leaders belong to the same groups at the EU parliament (The UMP, CDU etc..., are in the christian democrats group, the PS, SPD, Labour, in the social democrat group. the UK conservative are in the "conservative" group a split faction of the christian democrats group, but they're not fooling anyone), so they support each other since they're on the same side, how shocking...
    The socialists were originally for the treaty, but Fabius (for pure electoralistic reasons, hoping as a leader for a no he would beat Chirac as the PS presidential candidate - but failed) started to agitate for a no. The left was horrified by the Bolkenstein proposal (related to the "Polish plumber") and the result was a massive no, socialists voting overwhelmingly against, setting back the European construction for 3 years until Sarkozy could manoeuver us out of it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •