Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71

Thread: Asteroid 2012 DA 14

  1. #1
    Senior Member themacedonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,654

    Default Asteroid 2012 DA 14

    http://rt.com/news/paint-asteroid-earth-nasa-767/

    NASA confirms the 60-meter (197-feet) asteroid, spotted by Spanish stargazers in February, has a good chance of colliding with Earth in eleven months.

    The rock's closest approach to the planet is scheduled for February 15, 2013, when the distance between the planet and space wanderer will be under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is lower than the geosynchronous orbit kept by the Google Maps satellite.

    http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2012da14.html

    It is big and it is close. 1/10 of distance to the moon. This one has potential

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,156

    Default

    Time to call Bruce and Ben in some oil rig?

  3. #3
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,344

    Default

    Dont worry, it only could strike earth in February of 2013. Earth would be destroyed in December of 2012 so we will be gone by then already.

  4. #4
    Senior Member themacedonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyusu View Post
    Dont worry, it only could strike earth in February of 2013. Earth would be destroyed in December of 2012 so we will be gone by then already.
    This will wipe out the ones that survive December 2012.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    http://rt.com/news/paint-asteroid-earth-nasa-767/

    NASA confirms the 60-meter (197-feet) asteroid, spotted by Spanish stargazers in February, has a good chance of colliding with Earth in eleven months.

    The rock's closest approach to the planet is scheduled for February 15, 2013, when the distance between the planet and space wanderer will be under 27,000 km (16,700 miles). This is lower than the geosynchronous orbit kept by the Google Maps satellite.

    http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/2012da14.html

    It is big and it is close. 1/10 of distance to the moon. This one has potential
    Impact Probability: 2.2e-04

    0.022000000% chance of Earth impact
    or
    1 in 4,550 chance
    or
    99.97800000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

  6. #6
    Senior Member EdisonTrent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,493

    Default

    Only 60? Wake me up when it can surpass a H-bomb.

  7. #7
    Senior Member themacedonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    ^^^^ would it be affected by gravitational pull in the later stage?

  8. #8
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    OR,India
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redox View Post
    Impact Probability: 2.2e-04


    0.022000000% chance of Earth impact
    or
    1 in 4,550 chance
    or
    99.97800000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth
    less probabilistic chance does not mean no chance at all.....since asteroid have the capability to bring apocalypse,we have to be extremely careful.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redox View Post
    99.97800000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth
    same as the lottery, but there are people who win

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redox View Post
    Impact Probability: 2.2e-04


    0.022000000% chance of Earth impact
    or
    1 in 4,550 chance
    or
    99.97800000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth
    I say mount an attempt to destroy it anyway. Good practice, and a good way to re-energize NASA.

  11. #11
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    OR,India
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    Only 60? Wake me up when it can surpass a H-bomb.

    Hahaha no......a H bomb is a fusion bomb which is triggered by an initial fission reaction.....A 60 meter asteroid impact cannot produce the same yield.

  12. #12
    Senior Member themacedonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    The height of 27000km is about the height of the orbit of the GPS satellites. Well they are at 20000km.

  13. #13
    Senior Member themacedonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    none
    Posts
    6,654

    Default

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17248959

    Meteor witnessed across Britain

    A "huge fireball" was reported travelling from northern Scotland to southern England at about 21:40 GMT, amid fears a plane had crashed.
    Police received reports of a "bright light" and "orange glow", but aircraft-related incidents were ruled out.
    The Met Office tweeted: "Hi All, for anyone seeing something in the night sky, we believe it was a meteorite."
    Meteors are particles from space that burn up as they plummet through Earth's atmosphere, sometimes emitting light, creating a "fireball" effect.
    Meteorites are larger, more durable objects that survive heating in the atmosphere and land on Earth. It is not known if that happened on Saturday.




    Beginning of the end???

  14. #14
    Senior Member Kingswat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,085

    Default

    If it was going to hit earth, wouldn't it lose some size by passing through the atmosphere?

  15. #15
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Smooth as a porcupine.
    Posts
    25,759

    Default

    60m? Meh. That's about the size that made Meteor Crater. Wherever it landed I'd hope they film it in HD.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswat View Post
    If it was going to hit earth, wouldn't it lose some size by passing through the atmosphere?
    Depends on it's composition.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •