Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52

Thread: Judges orders millions paid in NYC firefighter bias case

  1. #1
    Member sohaminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    US
    Age
    32
    Posts
    445

    Default Judges orders millions paid in NYC firefighter bias case

    A U.S. district judge ordered New York City to pay $128 million in to firefighters who allege the city used an entrance exam that deliberately sought to keep African-Americans and Latino Americans off the force. The judge also ordered the FDNY to hire 293 black and Latino applicants.

    "It has been in the city's power to prevent or remedy the need for damages proceedings for a decade, and it has not done so," U.S. District Judge Nicholas G. Garufis said in his ruling on the class action lawsuit. He called it the "consequences of the city's decision to ignore clear violations of federal law."
    Source CNN

  2. #2
    Junior sized package member Toddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,543

    Default

    Everyone knows you have to be Irish to join the FDNY

  3. #3
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Nanjing ▪ Shanghai ▪ London ▪ Oxford
    Posts
    1,057

    Default

    racial-nepotism --

  4. #4
    Senior Member DS73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    just a big old cornfield
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,607

    Default

    the question is how many of these 293 will be competent enough to avoid being killed 5 first years of their work. And what sentence this judge should get after first few deaths of these "firemen" which are inevitably to follow.

    But of course it's just a "wrong example" and "the diversity program", in the way it is applied, is for the benefits of the American nation.

    Interesting that the judge is a man of Daniel Patrick Moynihan. This does explain much.

  5. #5
    Justin Bieber is my idol randir14's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,752

    Default

    I thought this was going to be about the other racism incident.

  6. #6
    Senior Member LineDoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    38S MB 3661/8351
    Posts
    31,083

    Default

    Friggen Joke. the Physical exam for FDNY will smoke you.

    http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...-physical-exam

    But you have to be literate in English first

  7. #7
    Senior Member Roaming East's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,363

    Default

    are we even aware of whether or not the 293 candidates were qualified? for all we know they could have been super troopers chomping at the bit to do their civic duty but were held back by a system of bigotry and nepotism. You dont have to always assume these guys are ****wits who are only getting the job cause of their race.

    that being said i wouldnt want to be the new hire black guy everybody suspects got affirmative action'd into the job...

  8. #8
    Senior Member LineDoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    38S MB 3661/8351
    Posts
    31,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming East View Post
    are we even aware of whether or not the 293 candidates were qualified? for all we know they could have been super troopers chomping at the bit to do their civic duty but were held back by a system of bigotry and nepotism. You dont have to always assume these guys are ****wits who are only getting the job cause of their race.

    that being said i wouldnt want to be the new hire black guy everybody suspects got affirmative action'd into the job...
    What Nepotism?

    The Fire Commissioner doesn't even have a say about hiring a Medal of Honor Winner like Sgt Dakota Myer, he doesn't have a say about Finnegans 3rd cousin off the bus from Boston....

    You have to be literate in ENGLISH and be physically fit and make the times alloted. I took the test in 84 and didnt make the times. I didnt sue, I realized I could not meet their standard and went into another job.

    In 84 I took the Port Authority Police test at the USS Intrepid. The entire test is in basic english and multiple choice answers. The hardest part was a SALUTE report type series of questions. You saw a picture of a street scene for 5 minutes and then had to answer some questions about it. How many parking meters, how many cars, how many males, etc. I had a 97% on it overall and was number 127 on the list, but the test was sued and held up in court as unfair for almost 20 ****ing years. What kind of moron cant pass a basic english literacy test and then expects the city to still hire you?

  9. #9
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    What Nepotism?

    What kind of moron cant pass a basic english literacy test and then expects the city to still hire you?
    maybe the kind who've been raised to believe they're entitled to something from society?

  10. #10
    Banned user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    California
    Age
    46
    Posts
    24,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy1 View Post
    Everyone knows you have to be Irish to join the FDNY
    A similar thing happenend to the SFFD 20 years ago.

    They were able to sort it out and the firefighters are just as effective.
    Last edited by Ordie; 03-09-2012 at 11:20 AM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member LineDoggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    38S MB 3661/8351
    Posts
    31,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
    And vetted by the local Roman Catholic parish.

    A similar thing happenend to the SFFD 20 years ago, all Irish with brothers and cousins in the service.

    They were able to sort it out and the firefighters are just as effective.
    Here are the names of the 343 FDNY who were killed in the line of duty, show us the all Irish background of them.
    http://www.fdnylodd.com/9-11-Never-F...efighters.html

    I knew Gerald Baptiste personally. family was from Santo Domingo
    I knew Ronald Bucca, Family was not Irish
    I grew up with Thomas Gardner, family again not Irish

    you dishonor them and the other 340 with your propagandistic generalizations.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    13,492

    Default

    Tests based soley upon trying to fill "racial disparities" are already the norm for police departments in NY... the courts are trying really hard to get the fire department to fall into line too, but theyre being quite resistant to it...

    If you ask me, they should not be able to even ask your race on the exams (in NYS, its often the first question), and you shouldnt put your name on it either, just your SSN, this way the reviewers have no idea what your race is what so ever. It would be totally blind and based upon merit alone. And if 90% of the top scorers are white, then i guess that means that not enough blacks took the test or the ones that did didnt study as hard. If i was black id feel offended that a judge thinks im too dumb to pass the exam on my own and i need to have a job handed to me.

    I think the real reason why theres so few black cops/firemen has nothing to do with their scores on civil service exams. Its the fact that so few blacks are even taking civil service exams to begin with. Urban black youth are more interested in "makin dat paper" and becomming famous than serving their community.

  13. #13
    Senior Member DS73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    just a big old cornfield
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming East View Post
    are we even aware of whether or not the 293 candidates were qualified? for all we know they could have been super troopers chomping at the bit to do their civic duty but were held back by a system of bigotry and nepotism. You dont have to always assume these guys are ****wits who are only getting the job cause of their race.

    that being said i wouldnt want to be the new hire black guy everybody suspects got affirmative action'd into the job...
    Dude. class suits are built on the examples and connections between them. In this case it would be a case of a minority candidate who is fully suitable to do the job, (attested by independent expert: name, experience) being rejected-- name, face, date of the incident. Other similar incidents,---> established connection between these incidents --->conclusion (racism, nepotism, corruption etc.) . For a good example one should look no father than tobacco trials.
    Nothing of this kind was done, and no examples of this type were found. Because they are not there. The same story is about universities btw.
    In the case of FD it is not there because fire-departments are not exactly places where nepotism could fly. The money are not quite big, the work schedule is good only in a big city which lives 24/7. People do tend to die there, and shoulder feeling arguably is even more important than in the criminal police or army.

    The obvious true is that there are not enough minority candidates to fill "quotas" in the professional sport, army, police and what is left from it in the FD. The pool of literates, active individuals in minority communities is relatively smaller, the pool of physically healthy is relatively smaller, and what is no less important, these pools don't coincide in minority communities. The stereotype of a fat knees turned inward nerd is working too well there.
    Police and army fill quotas in support jobs (like call centers, wire houses and such), FD doesn't have much of support things. Hence the horrible "disproportion". This thing happens not only in the USA.

  14. #14
    Senior Member hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Enjoying a maple-flavored breakfast sandwich
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,084

    Default

    This will fall on deaf ears but to kind of tack on to some other posts I've made about disparate impact cases, this quote is the essence of a disparate impact analysis:

    According to the most recent census data, black residents make up 25.6% of New York City's population; when this case was filed in 2007, black firefighters accounted for only 3.4% of the Department's force. In other words, in a city of over eight million people, and out of a force with 8,998 firefighters, there were only 303 black firefighters.
    The point of such an analysis is that even if racism is not the cause of the disparity, the disparity produces a decidedly racist result. And when that's the case, the theory of disparate impact says something has to change. Meaning--as is likely true here--the Irish (or Italians or whoever) aren't secretly meeting to figure out how to keep blacks out, but the fact is blacks are being kept out. And that has to change.

    Can't wait to see all the personal attacks this post produces.

    hank

  15. #15
    Senior Member hank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Enjoying a maple-flavored breakfast sandwich
    Age
    43
    Posts
    7,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DS73 View Post
    The pool of literates, active individuals in minority communities is relatively smaller, the pool of physically healthy is relatively smaller, and what is no less important, these pools don't coincide in minority communities. The stereotype of a fat knees turned inward nerd is working too well there.
    I'm not picking on you because I can't decide exactly what your point is but comments like this blow me away. Do you really believe this or are you pointing it out as fallacy?

    hank

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •