Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any pilots on this board? Military Pilots? Commercial?

If you're willing to relocate to Asia, there's a hot market for Western pilots especially in the budget airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrudzi View Post
    Nobody should get into Aviation if they want to make a lot of money.....you do it because you love it.

I would recommend you finish what you started, don't go to these large aviation schools that push you through and do it on your own, it might take longer but its worth it. Maybe you can get your FI and start building time later on.

Fly with a purpose

Good luck.
    That's the bottom line. My airframe instructor told us on our first day of A&P school that if we were in it for the money rather than the love for it , then the door is behind us.

@ Ordie......I only have 12 hours on the 152 and 5 on my buddy's Bellanca Super Viking

I come from the Land of the Ice and Snow from the Midnight sun where the hot springs blow

I live in Canada an my best option was to go as deep in the bush as possible. I got my first Job with around 250 hours and it was some of the most fun I have ever had in my life! I looked into and was offered Instructor possitions, but it just wasn't for me. I flew a C206/207 and a cherokee 6 on and off ***** and with ski's, which was awesome and got way more hands and feet experience than an instructor ever would. The only thing that sucked was my company really didnt opperate with any sort of rules so to speak other than keeping the aircraft is peak condition. 3 flying years later I am at 2000 hours and about to go captain in a Super King air 200.

This all started for me with a aviation science degree and I don't regret it at all. It gave me good knowledge all the way up to and beyond an ATPL license and got pretty deep into other aspects of aviation including the engineering side, the management side and so on. Would I want to do either? No, I am a pilot and this is where I am going to stay.

One thing is true though if you have a girl get her used to the fact that if you choose the bush, you will be gone for most if not all of the year if she doesnt come with. So you had better sort that out now. That was my biggest challenge so far was dealing with my now ex fiance.

Any more questions feel free to pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_hind View Post
    That's the bottom line. My airframe instructor told us on our first day of A&P school that if we were in it for the money rather than the love for it , then the door is behind us.

@ Ordie......I only have 12 hours on the 152 and 5 on my buddy's Bellanca Super Viking
    I have a number of family and friends who were instructors and/or commercial pilots. My brother in law is the only one that has done well for himself. Took him 10+ years to get the dream job though. Me, not a pilot.

The rest make pretty poor money. They do it as they love it. My cousin spent nearly $100k getting accrediated then worked out there was no money and went back to uni.

I come from the Land of the Ice and Snow from the Midnight sun where the hot springs blow

Money is not great to start.

Started at $2000 a month + .10$ a mile. I made decent money there but my next job was $1400 a month base plus a room to call my own. I am finally making double that now at my 3rd job and have been making the same for 2 years now. Once I make capt. I will be starting at 56k a year plus a 10k yearly bonus. 3rd Year captains make 86k a year plus the bonus.

I spent 60k on my education.

Quote Originally Posted by T3ngu View Post
    I have a number of family and friends who were instructors and/or commercial pilots. My brother in law is the only one that has done well for himself. Took him 10+ years to get the dream job though. Me, not a pilot.

The rest make pretty poor money. They do it as they love it. My cousin spent nearly $100k getting accrediated then worked out there was no money and went back to uni.
    I know what you mean. I paid nearly $7K out of my own pocket and I was fortunate enough to get the remaining $5K paid off with a pell grant and scholarship. Come the end of my first year on the job, I barely made $27K gross income. Even though I no longer work full time as an A&P mechanic, I still do it on the side every weekend to help a buddy out, but I think in the end that it was all worth it.

ERAU from 82-87 graduated with a degree in Aerospace engineering (astronautics), A&P, plus my PPL. I started in AS while also getting my A&P in the AMT (now AMS) program which was the best thing I could have done for my career.

If you have any questions PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool recce View Post
    How long does it take to train pilot of, letīs say, Apache helicopter?
    I was at Rucker for 2 years total. That includes WOCS, HOST (dunker), SERE-C, and a fair bit of downtime. I wanted to fly fixed wing aircraft all my life, but wound up joining the Army and after a few years of half-assedly trying to secure a pilot slot, I got it. Now I can honestly say I have no desire to fly fixed wing anymore, I don't even want to fly anything other than an Apache.

There is a high-school to flight school program out there, although I don't really know anything about it or if you could even take advantage of it. Talk to a recruiter and mention your aviation experience but know that it's an involved process and a hell of a lot of work.

I'm heading out for most of tomorrow but if you're interested, shoot me a PM and i'll try to answer any questions. Keep in mind, its been a couple of years since I went through the accessions process.

edit: just realized you aren't the OP... oh well, offer still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeker View Post
    Money is not great to start.

Started at $2000 a month + .10$ a mile. I made decent money there but my next job was $1400 a month base plus a room to call my own. I am finally making double that now at my 3rd job and have been making the same for 2 years now. Once I make capt. I will be starting at 56k a year plus a 10k yearly bonus. 3rd Year captains make 86k a year plus the bonus.

I spent 60k on my education.
    If I may ask, what airline are you currently flying for, as that sounds like one hell of a job!

I am currently working in Northern Canada and around the world with a 20day on 10day off rotation. I would prefer to keep my current employer confidential. But that is what most pilots make in Northern Canada, so all you need to do is get here.

Sneeker,

I am planning to start with flying lessons next year, have been putting it off for the past 3 years but a bit more stable now. I am just gunning for a PPL and was wondering, how many hours a month should I dedicate to flying to remain proficient? It gets quite expensive over here for air time, so i would like to know how much is a bare minimum of monthly flight hours before i become a risk for myself and people on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeker View Post
    I am currently working in Northern Canada and around the world with a 20day on 10day off rotation. I would prefer to keep my current employer confidential. But that is what most pilots make in Northern Canada, so all you need to do is get here.
    Okay thanks, I understand about the confidential part...may ask what aircraft you fly though?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Sneeker,

I am planning to start with flying lessons next year, have been putting it off for the past 3 years but a bit more stable now. I am just gunning for a PPL and was wondering, how many hours a month should I dedicate to flying to remain proficient? It gets quite expensive over here for air time, so i would like to know how much is a bare minimum of monthly flight hours before i become a risk for myself and people on the ground?
    The FAA requires you to have three take offs and three landings within the last 90 days in order to carry passengers and a bi-annual flight review, third class medical.

Once you get your ticket and to maintain the same proficency you would need to fly twice a week or 15 hrs a month......remember, a PPL is a license to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrudzi View Post
    The FAA requires you to have three take offs and three landings within the last 90 days in order to carry passengers and a bi-annual flight review, third class medical.

Once you get your ticket and to maintain the same proficency you would need to fly twice a week or 15 hrs a month......remember, a PPL is a license to learn.
    **** me sideways and call me susan, you mean even with a PPL I would need to fly 15 hours a month? Just so I can keep it? That is $1000 a month

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    **** me sideways and call me susan, you mean even with a PPL I would need to fly 15 hours a month? Just so I can keep it? That is $1000 a month
    To keep it you need the required minimums in your country's civil avaition authority regulations for night and day....you also should have a self minimum, you also have a responsibility for your passengers if you choose to carry.
    now if you want to maintain the same profeciency as the day you passed your check ride then yes I suggest you try to log at least 15 hours month because flying is never about being the same.