Page 53 of 74 FirstFirst ... 343454647484950515253545556575859606163 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Aircraft Carrier news and discussion

Being listed on fleet strength means very little. They could do that tomorrow if they wanted.

Having a trained crew, an efficeintly navigable ship, the highly specific equipment, and a trained and effective airwing... hmmm.

^you only gonna have that when you have the carrier in operation for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ayanami_tard View Post
    ^you only gonna have that when you have the carrier in operation for years.
    Aye, and before that, you've got a floating ATC tower, not a floating airfield.
    Last edited by happyslapper; 03-10-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: sp

Given the size of China's military expenditure, PLAN should have way more than a single refitted Soviet carrier.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by zsmoke View Post
    Given the size of China's military expenditure, PLAN should have way more than a single refitted Soviet carrier.
    There are competing priorities.

The Communist Bosses need to weigh the cost of adding another carrier or spend more on domestic security to keep a restless nation at check.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post

The Communist Bosses need to weigh the cost of adding another carrier or spend more on domestic security to keep a restless nation at check.
    In case of slaughtering its own people, stealth jet fighters and nuclear-powered aircraft carrier is useless. WWII-era tanks and artillery plus flame-throwers are more than enough... OK, just a joke. China does spend a lot on those cutting-edge riot gears, armored vehicles with water cannon, Segway scooters, bomb squad, and that infamous Great Fire Wall, etc, but compare to its spending on real military projects: J-10, J-10B, JF-17, J-20, J-15 and other known and unknown aircraft projects, new strategic and attacking nuclear submarines, those destroyers, missile boat and landing craft, those ballistic missiles, those endless types of new tanks, infantry fighting vehicles, self-propelled artillery, rocket launchers, trucks, jeeps... and new space launch vehicles, (they are working on 3 types of new rockets to launch satellites and spacecraft) manned spacecraft, space station, chinese version of GPS, etc, They are shopping like there's no tomorrow. Spending on 'domestic security' seems minuscule to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post

That sounds like wishful thinking. I do not think there is any problem for China to do both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MRAPer View Post
    That sounds like wishful thinking. I do not think there is any problem for China to do both at the same time.
    How long does it take China to refit the half-finished Soviet carrier to a usable level? 12 years? Obviously they have enough money to do whatever they want. So what is the problem?

Banned user

Default China Preps New Carrier for Aircraft Trials

Well it looks like the day is coming when China will be able to deploy its carrier with aircraft. The Varyag/Shi Lang/ is close to be outfitted with the equipment it needs to take on aircraft. A big step for sure. Now will it use its own J-15's or something else?

http://the-diplomat.com/flashpoints-...or-flight-ops/

[SIZE=-1]Varyag is an old one and it was bought for training, I think it is enough.[/SIZE]
    yes, J15 and E2000, and some [SIZE=-1]anti marine helicopters,I guess the [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]capacity will be[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]20 or less J-15, a dozen [SIZE=-1]helicopter,
    but it is possible to equip more J15 on Varyag, because they could transfer some helicopters to destoryers.
    [/SIZE]

Banned user

how many J15 can it carry?
    Last edited by smileys; 03-19-2012 at 07:49 PM.

China needs years of know how before claiming they have a usable carrier yet; I have no doubt theŽll reach that point, but they have a lot of work to do untill that, IMO

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by armored_diplomacy View Post
    China needs years of know how before claiming they have a usable carrier yet; I have no doubt theŽll reach that point, but they have a lot of work to do untill that, IMO
    Yep. Took decades and a few wars for the US, UK, France, and other carrier navies to learn the skills.

Good luck China

Even after developing concepts for operating fixed-wing jet aircraft from carriers, the US Navy and Marine Corps lost thousands of airframes and lives perfecting sound techniques. Reports retired Capt. Robert ‘Barney’ Rubel, dean of naval warfare studies at the Naval War College, the two sea services lost 776 aircraft and 535 airmen in 1954 alone. History won’t spare Chinese aviators the pain of learning their craft.

http://the-diplomat.com/flashpoints-...new-lexington/

wow....didn't realize. Expensive lessons.