Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ***, lies and media: New wave of activists challenge notions of beauty

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    Indeed. But if we have equality of opportunity, and more men than women want to become fighter pilots or more men than women end up running companies, what is the problem?

I don't see anything wrong with unequal outcomes so long as there is equality of opportunity.
    I most certainly agree!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    In part if a person lives their life as slave and that is all they know, when they are freed, they generally will still think/act like a slave. Problem with affirmative action is that it is similar to countries that recently lost their despotic leader. The people don't know how to govern themselves.

Bob Marley stated, "Only you can end mental slavery, you got to free yourself." It also helps if you have people willing to treat you as a equal. This issues is both a male and female issue which also says it is a societal issue.

The idea of affirmative action is help move the society as a whole from those attitudes that caused and supported the oppression of others. Obviously, there will be problems. Another expression, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can not make him drink." You can make a person free, but only they can liberate their own mind.
    and here...

Quote Originally Posted by KoTeMoRe View Post
    Which is painfully true for the males as well. Ergo the state of the world.

BiV: they're exactly the same. They have different approaches to the same objective. Not as genders but as social backgrounds. People tend to confound the means to the and end as the goal itself.
    as well as this... To a point.
    I agree on the approaches aspect believing it to do more with the neurology and environmental confines of our ****'s. In my opinion, most males fit best in certain environments while most females do in others, and I don't mean the silly "barefoot and pregnant" stereotype.

Equality of opportunity is key to allowing everyone to fit into whatever niche is best but attempting to inflict personal bias, forcing what you think is right upon others; well that's just the way things are with imperfect human beings and all part of the spice of life!
    Last edited by vryhpyammoadded; 03-10-2012 at 01:47 PM.

I do not know about media in the West, but Media here can be very anti women in their advertisements, especially the cosmetics adveritsements.

The only thing they portray is that women can only get jobs, get into universities and have a good life, if they have fair skin. And that is just downright sick and degrading.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T.C.P da Devil View Post
    I do not know about media in the West, but Media here can be very anti women in their advertisements, especially the cosmetics adveritsements.

The only thing they portray is that women can only get jobs, get into universities and have a good life, if they have fair skin. And that is just downright sick and degrading.
    Or how 'bout guys can only get chicks, be successful, etc. if they smell like Old Spice, Axe, etc. Same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Or how 'bout guys can only get chicks, be successful, etc. if they smell like Old Spice, Axe, etc. Same thing.
    Not disagreeing with you, but the colour of your skin is much harder to change than your smell.

A lot of girls in BD feel sidelined, due to these ads, they are borderline racist.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T.C.P da Devil View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but the colour of your skin is much harder to change than your smell.

A lot of girls in BD feel sidelined, due to these ads, they are borderline racist.
    Ah. "Fair" skin as in light colored. I was thinking "fair" as in pleasant, smooth, fine, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    It is a sword that cuts in both directions. What holds women back also holds men back, though in a different way. Guys are also told to behave in a dysfunctional way too. Remember the old Rolling Stones song, Satisfaction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a7cHPy04s8