Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Japan marks somber anniversary of disaster

  1. #1
    Senior Member AroundTheCorner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008

    Default Japan marks somber anniversary of disaster

    Keiko Suzuki, 40 prays at the site of her uncle's home on March 11, 2012 in Rikuzentakata, Japan. Her uncle Kazuyoshi Sugawara was killed when his home was swept away by the tsunami last year. (Chris McGrath/***** Images)
    (CBS/AP) RIKUZENTAKATA, Japan - People across Japan prayed and stood in silence on Sunday to remember the massive earthquake and tsunami that struck the nation one year ago, killing just over 19,000 people and unleashing the world's worst nuclear crisis in a quarter century.
    In the devastated northeastern coastal town of Rikuzentakata, a siren sounded at 2:46 p.m. — the exact time the magnitude-9.0 quake struck on March 11, 2011 — and a Buddhist priest in a purple robe rang a huge bell at a damaged temple overlooking a barren area where houses once stood.
    At the same time in the seaside town of Onagawa, people facing the sea pressed their hands together in silent prayer.

    In Tokyo's National Theatre, Japan's Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko led a national ceremony of mourning for the nearly 20,000 victims of last year's multiple disasters. CBS News' Lucy Craft reports that 1,200 people in attendance who had lost a loved one in the disaster paused for a moment of silence, at 2:46 p.m.
    more here:

    Hard to believe a year passed already.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ivan le Fou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006


    Moving picture.

    Hard to believe a year passed indeed, and the Japanese people stoicism, serious and courage is outstanding and humbling.

  3. #3
    Junior Member yusa40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    The milky way


    I wonder how much it cost to rebuild every thing.
    Some before and after photos.

  4. #4


    3/11 First Responders in Japanís Triple Disaster Overcome Fears, Shock
    By Jacob Adelman, Chisaki Watanabe and Yuji Okada - Mar 11, 2012 2:52 PM GMT+0900
    Flight engineer Tsutomu Kimura had his first look into the smoking ruins of the No. 3 reactor building when his helicopter buzzed over the Fukushima Dai-Ichi (9501) atomic plant three days after it exploded.
    It was March 17, 2011, and Kimuraís job was to push the button to dump 7,500 liters (1,979 gallons) of seawater onto the yellow steel dome of the overheating nuclear containment vessel. The blown-out five-story structure bore little resemblance to pre-March 11 pictures he saw before take-off.
    more here:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts