Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help: Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44) dropped inside a surrounded german unit

terrorist sympathiser

Default Need Help: Sturmgewehr 44 (StG44) dropped inside a surrounded german unit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Guys this story have been bugging me for month. I heard somewhere (probably in History Chanel) that a bunch of these assault rifles were dropped in side a german infantry unit surrounded by thousands of russian troops in the Eastern Front .... and then they supposedly use this rifle to punch through the encirclement and return to german lines.

the problem is i cant find any reference to this story. Googling doesnt help either. Any of you guys ever heard of this story?

thanks in advance.

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

It sounds like one of those modern legends on the mighty StG44. Indeed it was great assault rifle far ahead of its time but I can't see why it would have enabled soldiers who never had trained with the weapon before to accomplish greater achievements than with their usual weaponry. Unless those guys were completely out of ammo or weapons, of course.

Demyansk pocket

and it was an earlier version, the Haenel MKB 42

[*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]Actually I have heard of it and I know a bloke who verified it had significant shock and awe ability when it was first used. Ihave been told about a Platoon routing a Russian Battalion in defensive positions with the whole Platoon carrying StG44's or MG42's. That would havebeen hellish firepower and accurate to boot. Apparently it allowed the blokes to fire and move much faster and be effective against greater numbers. My friend was a Panzer driver and he was on the Ost Front, not quite first hand knowledge but his version of events was probably less corrupt than some of the stories floating around today. I could see the Germans (being efficient types) finding the weakest point in the encirclement that allowed for a break out andhitting it with everything they had. So its plausible that the breakout occurred and the greater firepower assisted in achieving that.

Linedoggie is took quick [/FONT][/COLOR]

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Demyansk pocket

and it was an earlier version, the Haenel MKB 42
    Wouldn't have thought that. Any accounts on what actually took place?

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Wouldn't have thought that. Any accounts on what actually took place?
    Nah on further looking seems I was wrong about that.

The Legend is that they were dropped at Chelmno(not Demjansk) and used to break out. Yet no kreigesberichter pictures show the weapon in use

The Legend is that they were dropped at Chelmno(not Demjansk) and used to break out. Yet no kreigesberichter pictures show the weapon in use
    Do you have a reference for the claim itself? I'm interested in tracing the legend.

terrorist sympathiser

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE THOR View Post
    [*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]Actually I have heard of it and I know a bloke who verified it had significant shock and awe ability when it was first used. Ihave been told about a Platoon routing a Russian Battalion in defensive positions with the whole Platoon carrying StG44's or MG42's. That would havebeen hellish firepower and accurate to boot. Apparently it allowed the blokes to fire and move much faster and be effective against greater numbers. My friend was a Panzer driver and he was on the Ost Front, not quite first hand knowledge but his version of events was probably less corrupt than some of the stories floating around today. I could see the Germans (being efficient types) finding the weakest point in the encirclement that allowed for a break out andhitting it with everything they had. So its plausible that the breakout occurred and the greater firepower assisted in achieving that.

Linedoggie is took quick [/FONT][/COLOR]
    maybe if we can identified the unit? or the name of the battle?

terrorist sympathiser

i wonder if you meant The Cholm Pocket, but there's no reference on the STG44's

EDIT:
    after searching around i think it was probably the Cholm Pocket battle. Quite an epic battle and it was Mkb42. Although apparently there was no proof about this. .. and it is odd that they will drop an un tested weapon to a bunch of soldier not trained to use the rifle.

my theory is they probably sent the Mkb42 along with troops already trained with it.

anyway thanks guys.... Cholm Pocket battle are awesome reading.
    Last edited by ggk; 03-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.

I've seen many of these well preserved STG 44's, has it something to do with the type or quality of steel?
    as for the Pocket I'd believe it was the Cholm pocket too, not because of the stg44, but due to the sacrifice of brave soldiers who sacrificed themselves they survived

Quote Originally Posted by ggk View Post

EDIT:
    after searching around i think it was probably the Cholm Pocket battle. Quite an epic battle and it was Mkb42. Although apparently there was no proof about this. .. and it is odd that they will drop an un tested weapon to a bunch of soldier not trained to use the rifle.

my theory is they probably sent the Mkb42 along with troops already trained with it.

Yeah, he meant Cholm;
    Last edited by big_les; 03-12-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Retarded typing.

I'm pretty sure the battle for the Cholm Pocket occurred prior to the adoption of the Stg.43/MP44 series rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by ggk View Post

EDIT:

Please dont call these battles "epic".
    This was not a game but the most terrible conflict in human history.

terrorist sympathiser

Quote Originally Posted by Redox View Post
    im sorry if its offends you but sometime its okay to celebrate the human will to lives. Which a common psychological force to fight for survival that we all shared. In this case the will power of the men inside Kampfgruppe Scherer.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
    I'm pretty sure the battle for the Cholm Pocket occurred prior to the adoption of the Stg.43/MP44 series rifles.
    apparently there are no photo evidence Stg.43/MP44 during this battle too. And from what i read the cholm pocket were documented quite extensively by a professional war photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Redox View Post
    [*******#333333]Epic - heroic;[/COLOR] [*******#333333]majestic;[/COLOR] [*******#333333]impressively[/COLOR] [*******#333333]great:[/COLOR] [*******#333333]the[/COLOR] [*******#333333]epic[/COLOR] [*******#333333]events[/COLOR] [*******#333333]of[/COLOR] [*******#333333]the[/COLOR] [*******#333333]war.[/COLOR]
    Just because you don't know what a word actually means, don't criticize others who do.