Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 72

Thread: Man arrested for racially offensive remarks on Twitter

  1. #46
    Amiable Scoundrel Corrupt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort
    Age
    24
    Posts
    14,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liberal cl View Post
    So how are you supposed to respond to "[*******#333333]Well given that the majority of the population seems to have avoided falling foul of this law it doesn't seem to be a problem." ?
    [/COLOR]
    That's your gold standard, laws are viable if the majority doesn't fall foul of them?
    It's one of many things that should be considered. Skyeye asked "where does it stop", so i pointed out that the majority of the population go about their daily lives unworried by this apparantly unacceptable tyrannic law, so clearly it stops somewhere short of being overly restrictive and invasive.

    Your response was to post a mediocre open ended comic without so much as a line to clarify what you meant and when I pointed out the weakness of the reply you asked how you're supposed to respond to my point?

    I'm not going to argue your case for you...

    Quote Originally Posted by liberal cl View Post
    Just a rather laughable ad hom attempt on your part.
    Just pointing out your post history (especially threads started). You seem to particularly enjoy searching for cases like this. I'm curious as to why, especially given your comment in another thread "Because Euros just love to gleefully circle jerk about US politics as much as possible..."

    Quote Originally Posted by liberal cl View Post
    Finding fault with Labour Party policies doesn't transform anyone into some kind of raging anglophobe, if that's the case then there's many a self-hating Brit as well.
    There are many self hating Brits. Hell self deprecating humour is sort of our forte.

  2. #47
    Senior Member skyeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hootin Holler, WV
    Posts
    2,420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
    To the bar then?
    First one’s on me.

  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
    Liberal - he posted a comment on twitter as he was making fun of what happend to the bolton player who suffered a heart attack .. on the pitch . the racisim issue has got SFA imo dunno why people are making it a racial issue even the said paper , they are simply devoiding from the facts ,, and after another football game .. the referee was subjected to threats on twitter by irate celtic fans because they lost the Cup final .. incidentally a kilmarnork players member of family suffered a heart attack after the final whistle whom was there seeing his son win against Celtic .

    Yet Irate Celtic fans show little respect but rather post threats on Twitter who teaches RE at a catholic school .. and they call him an Orange bas .. etc



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us


    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23794978/
    Look on the bright side TT at least Celtic fans have not resorted to sending letter bombs to the Killie manager......http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23772642/
    Last edited by Mr Gently Benevolent; 03-24-2012 at 04:09 AM.

  4. #49
    Senior Member liberal cl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
    Liberal - he posted a comment on twitter as he was making fun of what happend to the bolton player who suffered a heart attack .. on the pitch . the racisim issue has got SFA imo dunno why people are making it a racial issue even the said paper , they are simply devoiding from the facts ,, and after another football game .. the referee was subjected to threats on twitter by irate celtic fans because they lost the Cup final .. incidentally a kilmarnork players member of family suffered a heart attack after the final whistle whom was there seeing his son win against Celtic .
    Fair enough, there's more to his arrest than the Telegraph story conveys. If not specifically for racially offensive remarks, I'd be curious to find out the actual charges that lead to his arrest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
    It's one of many things that should be considered. Skyeye asked "where does it stop", so i pointed out that the majority of the population go about their daily lives unworried by this apparantly unacceptable tyrannic law, so clearly it stops somewhere short of being overly restrictive and invasive.

    Your response was to post a mediocre open ended comic without so much as a line to clarify what you meant and when I pointed out the weakness of the reply you asked how you're supposed to respond to my point?
    Arguing that a law is fine so long as the majority isn't affected is just patent nonsense. It only takes a modicum amount of imagination to produce historical examples where that kind of litmus test is basically worthless...

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt
    I'm not going to argue your case for you...



    Just pointing out your post history (especially threads started). You seem to particularly enjoy searching for cases like this. I'm curious as to why, especially given your comment in another thread "Because Euros just love to gleefully circle jerk about US politics as much as possible..."
    In the sense that there's a tendency to grossly overstate the importance of fringe players like Bachman, Palin, et al. and what they say, and then to go on and on about how ridiculous/alien/scary/whatever American politics are.

    However you can't really equate some third-rate precandidate's sound byte to well established, national policies, like the one that makes arresting people for offensive youtube comments/tweets/FB wall posts a reality, or the aforementioned policy concerning schoolchildren. I really doubt I'm alone in being surprised by the fact that this sort of thing goes on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt
    There are many self hating Brits. Hell self deprecating humour is sort of our forte.
    That's cool actually, I do love British comedies.

  5. #50
    Amiable Scoundrel Corrupt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort
    Age
    24
    Posts
    14,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liberal cl View Post
    In the sense that there's a tendency to grossly overstate the importance of fringe players like Bachman, Palin, et al. and what they say, and then to go on and on about how ridiculous/alien/scary/whatever American politics are.

    However you can't really equate some third-rate precandidate's sound byte to well established, national policies, like the one that makes arresting people for offensive youtube comments/tweets/FB wall posts a reality, or the aforementioned policy concerning schoolchildren. I really doubt I'm alone in being surprised by the fact that this sort of thing goes on.
    And you saying how ridiculous/alien/scary a law/policy you've never had any interaction with is different to when us Europeans do it regarding an American one? I believe there's a saying about a pot and a kettle that applies.

    As I said, different peoples, different cultures, different ways of doing things. This is not the USA. We did not have a big revolution, declare ourselves free of tyranny and write down a score of bulletpoints that we believed to be inalienable rights. We generally gained our freedoms and rights over time as our nation developed from an absolute monarchy to a social democracy where the monarchy is just a figurehead/symbol. As a result there's an almost militant indifference among the majoirty of the population to the concerns you raise.

    Hell I'll find another news story for you.

    Woodward has been sentenced to six weeks in prison after pleading guilty to making an offensive phone call.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17494085

  6. #51
    Senior Member tea drinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Getting ripped in mp.net's insanity thread!
    Age
    45
    Posts
    9,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gently Benevolent View Post
    Look on the bright side TT at least Celtic fans have not resorted to sending letter bombs to the Killie manager......http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-23772642/
    What exactly did the guy say anyway?, what I read was he wished that the guy died, and that's not a racist statement as such. Maybe there's something I haven't heard.

    Jumping across the channel to the Toulouse child killer, was the minutes silence by that teacher in France racist? Was the facebook fan page setup also racist?

  7. #52
    King of the Klunge gaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Here be monsters.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    16,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tea drinker View Post
    What exactly did the guy say anyway?, what I read was he wished that the guy died, and that's not a racist statement as such. Maybe there's something I haven't heard.

    Jumping across the channel to the Toulouse child killer, was the minutes silence by that teacher in France racist? Was the facebook fan page setup also racist?
    One report I read (Sorry, don't recall where) stated that after the initial tweet he was challenged by several people and he responded to those who had profile pictures showing they were black with terms such as w*g and n*gger.

  8. #53
    Senior Member liberal cl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
    And you saying how ridiculous/alien/scary a law/policy you've never had any interaction with is different to when us Europeans do it regarding an American one? I believe there's a saying about a pot and a kettle that applies.
    I don't need personal interaction to realize what's penalized and what the penalties are. If you were to come down hard on the more draconian aspects of the Patriot Act, a great many Americans would be in definite agreement with you... myself included.

    Also, you're decontextualizing my comment from the other thread. It referred to the way some Europeans get their jollies by focusing on sound bytes by fringe Republican pre-candidates (Bachman, Santorum, Palin), only to distort the big picture in making them out to be somehow representative of the entire GOP or even US politics in general. I wasn't referring to any established laws or policies.

    As I said, different peoples, different cultures, different ways of doing things. This is not the USA. We did not have a big revolution, declare ourselves free of tyranny and write down a score of bulletpoints that we believed to be inalienable rights. We generally gained our freedoms and rights over time as our nation developed from an absolute monarchy to a social democracy where the monarchy is just a figurehead/symbol. As a result there's an almost militant indifference among the majoirty of the population to the concerns you raise.
    But this is a fairly recent phenomenon. From 1997 - 2010, Labour also brought you such wonderful things as the Citizens DNA database and the fingerprinting of children at schools; even the EU expressed concern about potential breaches of privacy.[FONT=arial][*******#000000]
    [/COLOR][/FONT]
    Hell I'll find another news story for you.


    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-17494085
    Good. Abusing emergency hotlines is a misdemeanor everywhere and a felony in some jurisdictions, I don't really see a relation here.

  9. #54
    Amiable Scoundrel Corrupt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort
    Age
    24
    Posts
    14,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liberal cl View Post
    Good. Abusing emergency hotlines is a misdemeanor everywhere and a felony in some jurisdictions, I don't really see a relation here.
    He didn't abuse an emergency hotline (999). He called the police station directly using their landline number. Then he was charged with making an offensive phonecall.

  10. #55
    Member bersaglieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    between the calamari and the Amarone
    Posts
    880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liberal cl View Post
    by focusing on sound bytes by fringe Republican pre-candidates (Bachman, Santorum, Palin),

    Santorum and Palin are fringe Republicans? Forgive me if I'm mistaken but is'nt Santorum one of your 2 potential Republican Presidential candidates and was'nt Palin actually your Republican Vice Presidential candidate in 2008? That would make them pretty damn mainstream anywhere else.

  11. #56
    Honey! I am back Niels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    [SIZE=4]Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days[/SIZE]

    A student who admitted posting racially offensive comments on Twitter about footballer Fabrice Muamba has been jailed for 56 days.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992

    The tweets that got him locked up. (NSFW etc)

    The Great Police State will need more prisons once they find out people say boo-boo words outside of twitter too.

  12. #57
    Seņior Member Fargin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Section h8
    Posts
    13,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    Nice tweets, 56 days seems okay.

    I guess if he had been standing beside a guy have cardiac arrest in the street, saying what he tweeted, he would probably have gotten 56 days in the hospital instead.

  13. #58
    Senior Member Ozzy[NO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Norway, harpooning whales and clubbing baby seals
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    When the punishment is harsh, and perceived by many to not fit the crime you end up with people feeling sympathy for the offender....not a good idea in a crime involving racism. The punishment will only invoke further racist comments.
    Last edited by Ozzy[NO]; 03-27-2012 at 11:24 AM.

  14. #59
    Seņior Member Fargin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Section h8
    Posts
    13,851

    Default

    Next time you come across a cardiac arrest in the street, you might want to think twice before mocking the victim or the crowd and if you end up in a police investigation, you might want to think twice before you lie or destroy evidence.

  15. #60

    Default

    you guys better start building lots of prisons

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •