Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice Department, FBI to probe shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin

Justice Department, FBI to probe Florida teen's death

Source CNN

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Default Justice Department, FBI to probe shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin

In the wake of spreading public outrage, the Justice Department and the FBI have opened an investigation into the shooting of a black teenager by a Florida neighborhood watch captain who escaped arrest.

More than 435,000 people, many alerted by tweets from celebrities such as movie director Spike Lee and musician Wyclef Jean, signed a petition on Change.org, a social action website, calling for the arrest of the shooter, George Zimmerman.

The Justice Department's Civil Rights Division and the FBI announced on Monday that they have opened an investigation into the shooting in Florida of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was unarmed when he was killed.

Mom: Trayvon Martin was killed because of 'the color of his skin'

--------
    snip
    --------

'Stand your ground'

Police declined to arrest Zimmerman, and turned the case over to prosecutors where it remains under review. Police cited Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law, enacted in 2005 and now in effect in at least 16 other states.

Dubbed "Shoot first (ask questions later)" by opponents, the Florida law allows a potential crime victim who is "in fear of great bodily injury" to use deadly force in public places.

The landmark law expanded on legislation, known as the Castle Doctrine, that allowed use of deadly force in defense of "hearth and home." Passed under former Florida Governor Jeb Bush in 2005, it overturned a centuries-old doctrine that required the potential victim to retreat and avoid confrontation if possible, according to Ladd Everitt, spokesman for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, a Washington-based advocacy group.

"No one could argue that Zimmerman could not have safely retreated and avoided this conflict, and I think that is the critical element here and why these laws are so dangerous," Everitt said. "He (Zimmerman) does not have a duty to retreat in Florida."

Crump said Zimmerman should not be protected under the Stand Your Ground law. "It's illogical, you can claim self defense after you chase and pursue somebody," he said. "That's a courtroom defense. That's not something the police accept on the side of the street."

Five years after Florida's Stand Your Ground law was enacted, a 2010 review by the St. Petersburg Times found that reports of justifiable homicides had tripled, and a majority of cases were excused by prosecutors or the courts. Meanwhile, the petition drive, started by a friend of Trayvon's mother, has been signed by people across the globe from Canada to Thailand, Lubin said.

Celebrity tweets over the weekend made #Trayvon a trending topic on Twitter, she said. Additional celebrities tweeting and posting on Facebook about the case include singers Clay Aiken and John Legend, film director Michael Moore and actress Mia Farrow.
    Source

How does stand your ground apply when he told the police on the phone that he was following him and they told him not to do that?

I dont think Stand your ground would apply. Like you said he went after him and then Initiated the Physical Contact, then when he was apparently losing decided to go with lethal force after being told not get out of the car by the police dispatcher. Glad that a Neutral source is going to investigate.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Yeah, the 911 tapes he tells the dispatcher that he is following him and they told him not to do that. So, looks like the teen was beating his ass and he pulled the gun like a *****. If he would have stayed in the car like instructed, the kid would still be alive.

This is when I appreciate Hate Crimes/Civil Rights/Bias laws on federal level to keep states in check. The local police department in this case can't be trusted with the investigation at this point. These types of incidents happen all over the country; we just don't hear about them. The lucky few cases manage to get national attention so the DOJ moves faster to respond.

I find it funny how all the reports were about how the guy is white and got off because of that
    then I saw a picture of him, he looks about as white as I do chinese
    some further digging said his mother is hispanic and he identifies as hispanic

Default Girl on phone with Trayvon Martin destroys shooter's self-defense claim, lawyer says.

Sanford, Florida (CNN)[LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=arial] -- A girl who overheard part of an incident involving Florida teenager Trayvon Martin can help prove he was killed "in cold blood," an attorney for Martin's family said Tuesday.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=arial]The girl, who was dating the 17-year-old, "completely blows (George) Zimmerman's absurd self-defense claim out of the water," Benjamin Crump said at a news conference.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=arial]He said the girl -- who does not wish to be identified -- "connects the dots" to describe what happened that day.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=arial]Martin was shot and killed while walking to his father's fiancee's house in Sanford after a trip to a nearby convenience store February 26. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, has acknowledged shooting Martin.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=arial]Although she did not hear the shooting, minutes earlier Martin told her someone was following him, and that he was trying to get away, Crump said. [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    [LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=arial]

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

This will make things interesting. [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

I think the local police department - and Mr. Zimmerman - is going to get hauled over hot coals.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Poriuncula

Neighborhood "WATCH." Self appointed Captain or not, you're suppose to watch, not chase down people. And the kid was apparently "looking" at houses. I look at houses when I walk around. I also look at creepy dudes sitting in their cars.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Yeah but he was wearing a hoodie so he was just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    Yeah but he was wearing a hoodie so he was just asking for it.
    It was raining. Anyone in a hoodie in the rain is bad news. Also he had an iced tea. Everyone knows you drink hot tea in the rain.

THAT being said, yeah, Zimmerman is innocent until proven guilty. And I'm happy it's being investigated properly.

Also iced tea = ice tea = ice-T = reknown pimp, drugdealer, discojockey, gangsterwrapper and very bad actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargin View Post
    Also iced tea = ice tea = ice-T = reknown pimp, drugdealer, discojockey, gangsterwrapper and very bad actor.
    He was not a very good drug dealer. And had to join the Army to support his kid.

If mother Justice wont get him, The streets Sure will!

But like others have said innocent untill proven guilty, Gotta have faith in that.