Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: 100 Years in 10 Minutes (1911 - 2011 in 10 Minutes)

  1. #1
    Senior Member santana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Some where in the Land of Sacré Coeur
    Posts
    10,331

    Default 100 Years in 10 Minutes (1911 - 2011 in 10 Minutes)

    100 Years in 10 Minutes (1911 - 2011 in 10 Minutes)




    Compilation of the last 100 years.

  2. #2
    Senior Member khalifah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    We are not in Texas anymore Toto...
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Very nice video, though some of the events mentioned seemed less important than other historical events that were never mentioned. But it being a youtube piece, its all up to the authors opinion.

    Watching that though, its funny how things have changed over the last century, and yet some things are consistant throughout the years. hhmm.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    13,640

    Default

    The video is fascinating and well done. Two thoughts though:
    1. The Lewinsky scandal and inauguration of Obama (Or any one president frankly)...are they really that big of a deal?
    2. The only achievement collectively in the realm of arts, music, architecture etc is the opening of the Empire State building.

  4. #4
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Trying to spell G
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    The video is fascinating and well done. Two thoughts though:
    1. The Lewinsky scandal and inauguration of Obama (Or any one president frankly)...are they really that big of a deal?
    2. The only achievement collectively in the realm of arts, music, architecture etc is the opening of the Empire State building.
    I was thinking that aswell, though, Clinton was close to impeachment at the time.

    As for Obama : first black president of the US ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member khalifah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    We are not in Texas anymore Toto...
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Nelson Mandela was not mentioned either, which is around the time of the Clinton issue. Then their was Beslan, and i dont remember seeing the Soviet/Afghan War, or the Iran/Iraq war for that matter.hhmmm

    Well their is only so much he could put in 10 minutes, good video nonetheless.

  6. #6
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Trying to spell G
    Posts
    305

    Default

    I agree with you, it's a good video and it's up to his author to decide what has to be in there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    I Stand On A Rock Of Jesus Christ+
    Posts
    15,194

    Default

    frankly, its quite poor
    work quality of a 9th grader

  8. #8
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    13,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khalifah View Post
    Nelson Mandela was not mentioned either, which is around the time of the Clinton issue. Then their was Beslan, and i dont remember seeing the Soviet/Afghan War, or the Iran/Iraq war for that matter.hhmmm

    Well their is only so much he could put in 10 minutes, good video nonetheless.
    These along with quite a few others like 7/7 ands Mumbai but as stated there is not enough room for everything.

  9. #9
    Platinum Member Rattfink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    In a knife fight with a gypsy...
    Posts
    13,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    frankly, its quite poor
    work quality of a 9th grader
    I took video production in 9th grade and no one made anything this good.

  10. #10
    eye candy of death 2Sheds_Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    the road to Shambala
    Posts
    11,904

    Default

    Thought provoking but it focused far too much on conflict and the negatives of humanity. Where were antibiotics? The telephone? The transistor? The PC? DNA sequencing? Cloning? The invention of radio? TV? Bakelite, polystyrene, poly vinyl chloride? The internet? Al Gore's Internet? The jet engine? GPS? These things have affected my life a lot more than some German football victory (which I had never even heard of until this video) or Monica Lewinski.

  11. #11
    Senior Member tluassa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Germany, Nrw
    Posts
    5,772

    Default

    I noted after watching the first 3 minutes that this was probably uploaded by a German thus showing a pretty much German perspective on events.

  12. #12
    Senior Member khalifah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    We are not in Texas anymore Toto...
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    The catalyst to the whole video was the music, dramatic stuff. I think it was in a Chris Nolan movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Sheds_Jackson View Post
    Thought provoking but it focused far too much on conflict and the negatives of humanity. Where were antibiotics? The telephone? The transistor? The PC? DNA sequencing? Cloning? The invention of radio? TV? Bakelite, polystyrene, poly vinyl chloride? The internet? Al Gore's Internet? The jet engine? GPS? These things have affected my life a lot more than some German football victory (which I had never even heard of until this video) or Monica Lewinski.
    I think despite the details in science, civil rights, and sports, the theme the author was getting at was mankinds potential for violence in an already violent planet. IDK...

  13. #13
    eye candy of death 2Sheds_Jackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    the road to Shambala
    Posts
    11,904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khalifah View Post
    I think despite the details in science, civil rights, and sports, the theme the author was getting at was mankinds potential for violence in an already violent planet. IDK...
    I suppose - but that's rather easy isn't it? It's the road most traveled in these kind of retrospectives - we have lots of sexy video of stuff blowing up. Man is so bad, blah blah - yeah we get it.

    But in reality, we're much more about life, and improving it - things like plastic, antibiotics, chemistry, engineering- are elemental to our existence and I wouldn't call them details. Without them, my life expectancy goes back down to 50, where it was in 1911. That would mean I only had 2 years left, which would be a bummer, since my car isn't paid off yet. I guess I kind of look at war as the detail - speed bumps on a much larger road.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •