Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Under Fire - CNBC v. 700

Default Remington Under Fire - CNBC v. 700

The Remington Model 700-series rifle —with more than five million sold—is one of the world’s most popular firearms. Famous for its accuracy, the rifle is now the target of a series of lawsuits alleging that it is unsafe and susceptible to firing without pulling the trigger. Remington insists its rifle is safe, trusted, and reliable, though a trail of death and serious injury dating back decades has prompted critics to ask whether this iconic American company has compromised safety in the name of profits, and gone too far in trying to protect its signature product. Senior Correspondent Scott Cohn’s report is the result of a 10-month CNBC investigation.
    The Controversy
    A 10-month CNBC investigation revealed thousands of complaints and more than 75 lawsuits stemming from alleged inadvertent discharges from the Remington 700. At least two dozen deaths and more than one hundred injuries have been linked to a possible design flaw in Remington's 700-series bolt-action rifle. Remington stands by its rifle, and maintains it is safe and reliable and that the accidents are a result of improper maintenance and unsafe handling.
    www.youtube.com/v/1MAcHvSPZZo

www.youtube.com/v/T8RUimQpe0g

www.youtube.com/v/Uhd0Y694zp0

Remington's Response to CNBC Under Fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KVS1hIbQg

Interesting case

Sounds like bad reporting and propaganda against Remington.

Wasn't this a problem on some of the older 700s? I remember the police here mentioning it happening a few times...

It's always a good idea to look at both sides of the issue:

It was an actual problem. It might be overblown for sure but it's still an issue to a lot of 700 owners. Some of our M24's had problems not too long ago. However I have a 700 with the new trigger and it works just fine.

I've only ever had one session with the R700, and it was specially tuned to have a light pull. I'll tell you what, I barely had to touch the trigger to make it go bang. I could easily see one modified like that not passing a drop test.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro C9 View Post
    Wasn't this a problem on some of the older 700s? I remember the police here mentioning it happening a few times...
    yes, i seen it on an older model, my friend turned the firearm over to a Remington Service, for repair, it was under a recall.

I remember somebody claiming that this happened with my 700.

I was actually watching as it happened. His finger was inside the trigger guard on the trigger as he took the safety off. Which I was about to mention.

Fortunately the gun was not only downrange, it was on target. With the round impacting the target. Low, but on the target.

He claimed the rifle discharged on safety release, and that this was further evidence of the failure of the 700 trigger.

I said it was hard for me to see past his finger on the trigger.

That particular rifle has never ever been implicated in an AD at any other time. That was 10 years ago. Oh believe me I tested the ever loving crap out of that safety and trigger after this incident. No problems.

I had to conclude based on observation of the incident and subsequent testing that the failure in this incident was operator error.

We use the M24 in Israel and up until 2009 were taught to have the safety on it always off just to prevent forgetting to flick it when needing to make a shot. Even with that less than optimally safe setup, never heard of this happening.

Old news, if i remember right turns out they were adjusting the triggers the piece left that out hummmm.

I carried a M24 for months and put thousands of rounds through it, when I was discharged, I bought a new 700 and it has work great, I have fired hundreds of rounds through it and in works perfect, couldn't ask for more, I love my Remington

i remember this coming up a couple of years ago, they had somebody who worked on the original safety mechanism on the show saying how he believed it was unsafe and wanted to change it but remington refused. or something along these lines... if i can find the original i'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by jzamp View Post
    i remember this coming up a couple of years ago, they had somebody who worked on the original safety mechanism on the show saying how he believed it was unsafe and wanted to change it but remington refused. or something along these lines... if i can find the original i'll post it.
    Or you could just watch the first three links i gave. His interview is there, but there is some question on how heavily edited it was.

a lot of 700 out there were tuned with hair trigger for competition shooting, I wouldn't be surprise that many NDs were results from trigger had too little resistance.

I was in a gunshop when they came in to ask the owner about the 700 hundreds he sold, they asked me a couple questions and tried to guide me into saying that its Remington fault that careless people pointing the loaded gun in an unsafe direction (somebody else) isn't supposed to go bang when you pull the trigger with the safety.

camera guy and the microphone guy were really frustrated.

i called rem, left a message and was contacted by their lawyer or some sort about what they asked me.
    Last edited by Roebuck; 04-01-2012 at 06:14 AM.