Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington Under Fire - CNBC v. 700

Quote Originally Posted by suhsjake View Post
    How is it Remington's fault if people modify or incorrectly assemble their 700s? It amazes me how people want to make a quick buck now of days by smearing other people. WTF is wrong with society today?
    If you watched the links, the argument is that no modification were made

If you can not ban guns, then destory the manufacturers.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

I saw that report quite a while ago and if I remember correctly, the interview that jzamp mentioned with the actual designer of the 700 action was the most damning. He claimed that a refit would have cost pennies but Remington thought it was cost prohibitive. His recommendation was ignored.

Where is everyone getting the idea that these rifles have been modified? Like Chulo said...They were bog standard, as bought, straight from the factory, Model 700s.

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    I saw that report quite a while ago and if I remember correctly, the interview that jzamp mentioned with the actual designer of the 700 action was the most damning. He claimed that a refit would have cost pennies but Remington thought it was cost prohibitive. His recommendation was ignored.

Where is everyone getting the idea that these rifles have been modified? Like Chulo said...They were bog standard, as bought, straight from the factory, Model 700s.
    is it safe t buy one now?

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Beats the hell out of me, I always liked the rifle.

I believe there might be ND's if you do inproper maintenance or mess with the inner parts of your gun.

Some weeks ago I've modified the X-Mark Pro trigger on my 700P. I found the weight to heavy so I've made some small adjustments to lower the trigger pull.
    There have been about 300 rounds through my gun, so it's relatively new. It is easy to do because of the small hex screw in the trigger. This gun sells with a flashy card on it saying "New X-Mark Pro adjustible trigger".
    My manual says the TP should not be below 3lbs if you use the rifle in a tactical enviroment. I did something like 1.5 turns, so my trigger should be around 2 and 1.5lbs. I didn't use a trigger pull gauge to check this.

After that I did several trails. Trying to fire with the weapon on safe, slamming the bold.... I even was banging to buttstock on my marble floor.
    I did these same test today after watching the videos and reading this thread. The same results: NOTHING HAPPEND, my weapon did not have a neglected discharge.

Of course those examples giving in the CNBC video where also related to the firearm safety rules (the gun being handed over to a child without checking it.............).

The only problem I can think of is the following scenario, although the basics of the safety rules apply here also...
    The shooter tries to fire the weapon but nothing happens because the gun is still on safe. He realizes this and moves his thumb to disengage the safety. In the heat of the moment the shooter forgets to take his finger out of the triggerguard and he is still pulling on the trigger. When he disengages the safety the sere moves and the rifle will fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Aibeethoven View Post
    I believe there might be ND's if you do inproper maintenance or mess with the inner parts of your gun.

Some weeks ago I've modified the X-Mark Pro trigger on my 700P. I found the weight to heavy so I've made some small adjustments to lower the trigger pull.
    There have been about 300 rounds through my gun, so it's relatively new. It is easy to do because of the small hex screw in the trigger. This gun sells with a flashy card on it saying "New X-Mark Pro adjustible trigger".
    My manual says the TP should not be below 3lbs if you use the rifle in a tactical enviroment. I did something like 1.5 turns, so my trigger should be around 2 and 1.5lbs. I didn't use a trigger pull gauge to check this.

After that I did several trails. Trying to fire with the weapon on safe, slamming the bold.... I even was banging to buttstock on my marble floor.
    I did these same test today after watching the videos and reading this thread. The same results: NOTHING HAPPEND, my weapon did not have a neglected discharge.

Of course those examples giving in the CNBC video where also related to the firearm safety rules (the gun being handed over to a child without checking it.............).

The only problem I can think of is the following scenario, although the basics of the safety rules apply here also...
    The shooter tries to fire the weapon but nothing happens because the gun is still on safe. He realizes this and moves his thumb to disengage the safety. In the heat of the moment the shooter forgets to take his finger out of the triggerguard and he is still pulling on the trigger. When he disengages the safety the sere moves and the rifle will fire.
    hummm yea... the X-Mark Pro trigger was made to FIX the issue.

Its like putting on a ****** and saying "I dont understand why people that have unprotected *** get STDs or pregnant "

Some additions to my previous post:

I use my M700 for recreational / competative shooting only. I put my at the shooting point and load 1 round at the time.
    It is because of my adjustable trigger that I've adjusted the trigger pull. If there was gunsmithing required I don't think I would have done it.....