Thread: No US soldiers to face charges for Pakistan strike: report

Default No US soldiers to face charges for Pakistan strike: report

WASHINGTON: The US military has decided that no service members will face disciplinary charges for a Nato airstrike in November that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, The New York Times reported late Saturday.

A Pentagon investigation found late last year that both US and Pakistani troops were responsible for the exchange of fire.

But it noted that the Pakistanis had fired first from two border posts not on coalition maps, and that they kept firing even after the Americans tried to warn them that they were shooting at allied troops.
    http://www.dawn.com/2012/03/25/no-us...ke-report.html

Really not looking good for US and Pakistani relations... Not that we trusted each-other very highly from the get-go, but this is getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerBD View Post
    Really not looking good for US and Pakistani relations... Not that we trusted each-other very highly from the get-go, but this is getting worse.

Personally I find it refreshing that the gov won't sacrifice it's own in order to maintain positive relations a wit a shoddy ally, at best. s

I agree, with the circumstances it was a little FUBAR; but justified response from what the investigation concluded. Still sucks though, it's hard to find indigenous allies/support in that area. To have another openly hostile country (government anyway, not just the general population) right next to us wouldn't make things any easier.

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by usmis View Post
    Personally I find it refreshing that the gov won't sacrifice it's own in order to maintain positive relations a wit a shoddy ally, at best. s
    Shoddy allies is a bit under-emphasizing it, dont you think?

More like our enemy...you only have to look whos keeping the war momentum of the "good" Taliban going in Afghanistan.

I still wonder who came up with the Strategic Depth concept