Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Health care reform explained

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justin84 View Post
    I'm absolutely for obamacare except for the individual mandate. People are saying that if they do get rid of the individual mandate, that the legislation would turn into a single payer health system. Which is what i think we needed in the first place, instead of fattening up the pockets up the insurance companies.
    Nope. The best way to do it is to make competition work for the customer - like just about every other business out there. They're not doing that right now.

If not single payer, then atleast a public option which would increase competition within the industry. Which should lower costs across the board or introduce more value added services.

A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day

Quote Originally Posted by custodes View Post
    Make them buy it when they can't. What does "can't" mean? NO MONEY TO BUY IT. You make no sense. Intentions mean nothing. They do not have money. They can not be forced to buy anything without money. So charge them more? In a fine? And make them a criminal.
    Before PPAHCA a person in that situation would be languishing without health care and slowly dying anyway. PPAHCA includes a lot of provisions to make health care more affordable for people who can't afford it, from expanding medicaid availability to subsidies for people who are poor but aren't poor enough for medicaid. People who couldn't afford to buy health care will have more options now, and they won't be uninsurable due to their medical conditions either. Seriously, the situation you described is pretty much the reason why PPAHCA came around in the first place - people who can't afford healthcare but need it.

How is that "providing them with goddamned healthcare" as you say? Whether they can afford it or not? Listen to yourself.
    I'm actually for a NHS-type system, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Nope. The best way to do it is to make competition work for the customer - like just about every other business out there. They're not doing that right now.
    Not all industries are great candidates for being a deregulated market. Healthcare always presents difficulties in that regard, and it's time to bring our experiment to an end.

If not single payer, then atleast a public option which would increase competition within the industry. Which should lower costs across the board or introduce more value added services.

How is single payer suppose to be competitive?

Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    BefNot all industries are great candidates for being a deregulated market. Healthcare always presents difficulties in that regard, and it's time to bring our experiment to an end.
    You pay for it then. I'm happy with what I've got.

A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day

You pay for it then. I'm happy with what I've got.
    I'm happy with what I have too. Right now. But it's awfully easy to lose.

Anyway, I'll be happy to pay for a decent universal health care system - should save me a nice chunk of change too.

Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    Anyway, I'll be happy to pay for a decent universal health care system - should save me a nice chunk of change too.
    I have a bridge to sell. . .

I never jumped off a cliff thinking I could fly either. Maybe you will someday, because you never know, maybe you actually CAN fly? If they'd actually spent time trying to solve this problem instead of slapping together a 2000 page monstrosity that essentially says "this gives us power to wing it" in lawyerese people might not be so up in arms about it. That's not what they did though. There so-called "plan" has been a cluster**** of epic proportions from the get-go.
    You never jumped off a cliff, but someone else have. You can conclude from their deaths to not jump off a cliff. So, your analogy does not apply here.

"cluster...." Well, that is what you think which is fine. Just don't state it as a fact. In your opinion the "plan" has been a ...etc... you know the drill.

yes, that is indeed the ideal situation. but the real world we live in isn't ideal. It has not been a free market, and there are no plans to make it more free. That is the point. The preachers of free market are NOT doing anything to make it more free. The preachers of a more government involved system are doing something. People who do things can fail. People who do nothing cannot fail.

Quote Originally Posted by plato View Post
    People who do things can fail. People who do nothing cannot fail.
    I think what you meant there was people who do nothing cannot succeed.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,2058481.story

Seems Obama care is on it's last legs.

Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,2058481.story

Seems Obama care is on it's last legs.
    Don't jinx it!!!

thank god.

lets hope we can continue the tradition of rising healthcare costs and having sick people go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,2058481.storySeems Obama care is on it's last legs.
    It'll be interesting to see what Obama has to say if that happens.

thank god.

lets hope we can continue the tradition of rising healthcare costs and having sick people go bankrupt.
    You're under the mistaken impression that Obamacare would make costs go down. I don't think even Barry believes that anymore.