Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42

Thread: Chinese General Advocates Attacks on Somali Mainland

  1. #16
    You buy me drinkie [RNZE]Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    2X............ it is about time someone cleaned out the rat's nest
    Here's an interesting thought. Say if the Chinese did go in and "clean out" the place. What if they then refuse to leave? What if they set up a semi-permanent base to "monitor progress" and "safe guard the nation building initiatives"?

    Then what?

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Age
    22
    Posts
    68

    Default

    The locals probably won't be too happy, but what problem would that pose to NATO/everyone else?

    I doubt there's much FDI or anything else of value going into Somalia in any case :/

  3. #18
    Member Foxx308's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    Here's an interesting thought. Say if the Chinese did go in and "clean out" the place. What if they then refuse to leave? What if they set up a semi-permanent base to "monitor progress" and "safe guard the nation building initiatives"?

    Then what?
    That's a problem to worry about in at least 10 years. A lot of body bags will be full in that amount of time.

  4. #19
    Senior Member subotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    L-Point
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    Here's an interesting thought. Say if the Chinese did go in and "clean out" the place. What if they then refuse to leave? What if they set up a semi-permanent base to "monitor progress" and "safe guard the nation building initiatives"?

    Then what?
    Then good. Nobody else has been able to make a cohesive nation out of Somali for 20 years, let them try. After dealing with the pirates, the Chinese can deal with the drug dealers. Chinese courts love drug dealers. No repeat offenders allowed.

  5. #20
    You buy me drinkie [RNZE]Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subotai View Post
    Then good. Nobody else has been able to make a cohesive nation out of Somali for 20 years, let them try. After dealing with the pirates, the Chinese can deal with the drug dealers. Chinese courts love drug dealers. No repeat offenders allowed.
    No no no. Note the nation building is in quotes. China don't give a ***** about some skinnies. What I'm more worried is a Chinese military/listening base so close to the Gulf. Gives them a toe hold and a base of operations. You can bet your **** the skinnies wouldn't be able to kick the Chinese out.

  6. #21
    You buy me drinkie [RNZE]Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Foxx308 View Post
    That's a problem to worry about in at least 10 years. A lot of body bags will be full in that amount of time.
    Knowing the Chinese, they will probably co-op in some local warlord faction on the DL to keep the pirate scheme going. That way it gives them an excuse for a permanent base, and they can use them like North Korea to do their dirty work. You might just find the pirates starting to selectively target certain flagged ships.

    So maybe it's not a good idea after all.

  7. #22
    Senior Member subotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    L-Point
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    No no no. Note the nation building is in quotes. China don't give a ***** about some skinnies. What I'm more worried is a Chinese military/listening base so close to the Gulf. Gives them a toe hold and a base of operations. You can bet your **** the skinnies wouldn't be able to kick the Chinese out.
    They already have that in Ethiopia.

  8. #23
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mars - Utopia Planitia
    Posts
    323

    Default

    The more, the merrier.

  9. #24
    You buy me drinkie [RNZE]Sapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by subotai View Post
    They already have that in Ethiopia.
    What's this? I would like to know more.

  10. #25
    Junior sized package member Toddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,545

    Default

    It's purely for financial reasons, the Chinese are probably one of the biggest importers and exporters in the modern world and piracy cost shipping and governments $6.9 billion last financial year.

    If it was not affecting Chinese pockets they wouldn't give a shit.

    In saying that I am fully in support of them taking it to the mainland, but all this other talk and speculation is utter bollocks.

  11. #26
    Senior Member subotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    L-Point
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    What's this? I would like to know more.
    Connect the dots:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7081530.stm
    http://addis-ababa.wantedinafrica.co...dis-ababa.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16770932
    http://www.sudantribune.com/Ethiopia...d-closer,35530
    http://eng.chinamil.com.cn/news-chan...nt_4794553.htm

    If you really want to see where Beijing is focusing, follow the Chinese business people. Ethiopia, Sudan and Nigeria are China's base of operations in Africa.

  12. #27
    Senior Member subotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    L-Point
    Posts
    2,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy1 View Post
    It's purely for financial reasons, the Chinese are probably one of the biggest importers and exporters in the modern world and piracy cost shipping and governments $6.9 billion last financial year.

    If it was not affecting Chinese pockets they wouldn't give a shit.
    Spot on. China is a mercantilist nation and has been for thousands of years. Free flow of trade still governs their foreign policy and they play that game like the mythical Ferengi.

  13. #28
    Junior sized package member Toddy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,545

  14. #29
    Senior Member IraGlacialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Gittin' mah edumakashuns... in the land of temples and bad traffic.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    2X............ it is about time someone cleaned out the rat's nest
    Though probably don't expect us (the US/western Europe) to lend any monetary, material, or human support in that little endeavor.
    In fact, we can make this a little comparative social experiment in terms of nation building (and yes, I am aware of how callous this sounds humanitarian-wise).

  15. #30
    Senior Member rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    I Stand On A Rock Of Jesus Christ+
    Posts
    15,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [RNZE]Sapper View Post
    Here's an interesting thought. Say if the Chinese did go in and "clean out" the place. What if they then refuse to leave? What if they set up a semi-permanent base to "monitor progress" and "safe guard the nation building initiatives"?

    Then what?
    they can pack sand and goat hair and try to sell that at walmart

    all the power to the China (where is my old picture of China Strong???)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •