Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Foreign Policy: 'Baku granted Israel access to airbases for Iran strike'

Default Foreign Policy: 'Baku granted Israel access to airbases for Iran strike'

[*******#8F8F8F][*******#8F8F8F]By JPOST.COM STAFF[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [*******#8F8F8F]03/29/2012 06:20[/COLOR]

'Foreign Policy' article quotes senior US officials as saying "the Israelis have bought an airfield and the airfield is called Azerbaijan"; Obama administration reportedly unhappy about J'lem-Baku relationship.

Azerbaijan has granted Israel access to airbases in its territory along Iran's northern border for potential use in a military strike against Iranian nuclear facilities, a report published Wednesday in Foreign Policy magazine quoted senior US administration officials as saying.

"The Israelis have bought an airfield," an official said, "and the airfield is called Azerbaijan."

Even if Israel doesn't use the fields for a direct airstrike on Iran, Azerbaijan could still prove useful for Jerusalem's interests in the region. The bases could be used as a jumping point for IDF search-and-rescue units, the report quoted a US intelligence official as saying.

According to the Foreign Policy report, the Obama administration believes the Jerusalem-Baku relationship is raising the risk of an Israeli strike on Iran. Senior US officials have said that Israel's military expansion into Azerbaijan is complicating US efforts to defuse Israeli-Iranian tensions. "We're watching what Israel is doing in Azerbaijan. And we're not happy about it," one official said.

CONTINUED: http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/N...aspx?id=263894

THE FULL 4 PAGES REPORT ON THE SITE OF FOREIGN POLICY: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/article...staging_ground

Azerbaijan is one of the few nations that's unashamed to be pro-Israeli and doesn't treat it like a pariah, and that's something I respect them for (especially since they're Muslim). However even this is too far for them, and speculative claims aside it will never happen. Especially with Erdogan being as pro-Iranian as he is.

Obama being upset with Azerbaijan-Israeli relations is silly though. It's some diabolical plot but rather a relationship based upon a mutual threat that is Iran.

Damn. Didn't see that one in the cards. I mean, covertly, yeah..but airfields?

So now Israel has Saudi-Arabia, Northern Iraq and Azerbaijan remote-bases for potential use and air space of few more.

Quote Originally Posted by jokuvaan View Post
    So now Israel has Saudi-Arabia, Northern Iraq and Azerbaijan remote-bases for potential use and air space of few more.
    For some reason, I just don't see SA or Iraq happening. Lots of nations in that region have decent radars. The Israeli's are pretty good, but if one of their aircraft were to be detected using airfields in those countries it would cause an uproar. Azerbaijan is much more likely.

With such allies, who needs enemies?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloo View Post
    Especially with Erdogan being as pro-Iranian as he is.
    Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Pro-Iranian - all the while doing his utmost to undermine the Assad regime - Tehran's only real ally? Yeah right

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Pro-Iranian - all the while doing his utmost to undermine the Assad regime - Tehran's only real ally? Yeah right
    Indeed, Erdogan is not pro-Iranian, but he has shared economical interests with Teheran. So he manages to keep good relations with the Iranian leadership, despite his opposition to Assad.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/iran...-nuclear-talks

If true, it's not very smart move for Azerbaijan. If Iran decides to retaliate - only country in region capable of saving Azerbaijan (I mean Russia) now won't do a thing. But I think it's not true. Both Aliyevs - Sr and Jr - were very careful politicians, capable of supporting good relations with most of their neighbours. IMHO that information is part of infowar around Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborn View Post
    If true, it's not very smart move for Azerbaijan. If Iran decides to retaliate - only country in region capable of saving Azerbaijan (I mean Russia) now won't do a thing. But I think it's not true. Both Aliyevs - Sr and Jr - were very careful politicians, capable of supporting good relations with most of their neighbours. IMHO that information is part of infowar around Iran.
    An infowar with an agenda to topple an eventual decision by Netanyau/Barak to strike Iran.
    Not a single week passes indeed without one or two media reports with revelations made by US officials.

Baku jumped the bandwagon to get something out of it for their Nagorny-Karabakh issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborn View Post
    any attack from iran to Azerbaycan would pissed off Turkey.

Another article of Mark Perry in Foreign Policy? Last time it was a story about Mossad agents disguised as CIA spies recruited "terrorists" to fight against Iran.
    This Arafat's buddy and Hezbollah apologist is so predictable...

Funny, the picture of Peres in Kazakhstan just emphasizes the reliability of all that is written there.

I think it's nothing to discuss here. Just skip it.
    Last edited by squidO; 03-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Obama betraying Israel? US making deliberate effort to hinder Iran strike by leaking classified info, intelligence assessments, says Ron Ben-Yishai in special Ynet report

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...209836,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by EITAN88 View Post
    Obama betraying Israel? US making deliberate effort to hinder Iran strike by leaking classified info, intelligence assessments, says Ron Ben-Yishai in special Ynet report

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...209836,00.html
    I think Ben-Yishai is spot on with his analysis of US intent.