Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: USAF Finance NCO awarded Bronze Star Medal

Default USAF Finance NCO awarded Bronze Star Medal

An NCO from the 802nd Comptroller Squadron earned the Bronze Star March 14 for her actions in Afghanistan.

Tech. Sgt. Christina Gamez, a financial analyst in the 802nd CPTS, received the Bronze Star for meritorious service from Brig. Gen. Theresa A. Carter, 502nd Air Base Wing commander, prior to a commander's call at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

The Bronze Star is the U.S. military's fourth-highest individual decoration for bravery, heroism or meritorious service.

Gamez distinguished herself by meritorious achievement as the NCO in charge during a 365-day deployment, January 2011 to January 2012. While in Afghanistan, she accurately executed operational funds across eight remote bases, providing commanders with flexibility in support of counterinsurgency efforts. Gamez trained 68 operational fund teams, reviewed 34 projects and funded 280 joint acquisition board packages enabling critical base sustainment.

More at the Link
    SOURCE:
    http://www.randolph.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123294964

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

I am stunned by the citation.

Connaught Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    An NCO from the 802nd Comptroller Squadron earned the Bronze Star March 14 for her actions in Afghanistan.

Tech. Sgt. Christina Gamez, a financial analyst in the 802nd CPTS, received the Bronze Star for meritorious service from Brig. Gen. Theresa A. Carter, 502nd Air Base Wing commander, prior to a commander's call at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

The Bronze Star is the U.S. military's fourth-highest individual decoration for bravery, heroism or meritorious service.

Gamez distinguished herself by meritorious achievement as the NCO in charge during a 365-day deployment, January 2011 to January 2012. While in Afghanistan, she accurately executed operational funds across eight remote bases, providing commanders with flexibility in support of counterinsurgency efforts. Gamez trained 68 operational fund teams, reviewed 34 projects and funded 280 joint acquisition board packages enabling critical base sustainment.

More at the Link
    SOURCE:
    http://www.randolph.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123294964

The comments are pretty funny. And I agree, it's a joke; but then, the BSM for "service" has been a joke since '02.

Badass accounting, I suppose.

Standard US military award-speak. I once had a CSM try to reject an award b/c I did not include three exclamation points (!!!) at the end of the citation. We didn't have a healthy relationship.

US military award inflation is quite silly. Meritorious service, to me at least, is doing counter-IED work or route clearance for a tour.

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians ¯\(º_o)/¯

Early April fools?

This reads like something from The Onion. What I absolutely cannot understand is this closing sentence:

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial] Her work will provide an early warning notification system to more than 2,500 personnel at the installation and a nearby camp in the event of imminent attack.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    What attack is she preventing; a human wave attack from GAO accountants?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Early April fools?
    You can't make this shyte up.

PS: This adds a whole new meaning to the term "Chair Force".

Apparently this wasn't the first BS award for non-combat activity...

"
    NARRATIVE TO ACCOMPANY THE AWARD OF
    THE BRONZE STAR MEDAL
    TO
    xxx

xxx, United States Army, distinguished himself by exceptionally meritorious wartime service as the Operations Officer, Xxx, Multi-National Corps-Iraq, Victory Base, Iraq from 12 February 2008 to 17 April 2009 during OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM. During this period, MAJ Xxx s attention to detail, devotion to duty, and determination were instrumental in the success of the MNC-I Xxx mission to provide support to Army Reserve Soldiers and units stationed throughout Iraq. Assigned to manage the day to day operations of the Xxx office at Victory Base, Iraq MAJ Xxx s dedication to the mission and his impressive resourcefulness ensured the success of the xxx office in Baghdad. Under MAJ Xxx s demonstrated professional abilities and resourcefulness he scheduled and coordinated visits to numerous locations in the Area of Operations throughout Iraq to assist Army Reserve Soldiers and their commands. MAJ Xxx provided Soldiers with the knowledge of the Xxx function in theater as well as numerous internet resources that are available for the deployed Army Reservist. MAJ Xxx tracked the location of as many as 8300 Soldiers on the battlefield every month and consolidated the information to a power point slide that is used for providing a visual report of the Army Reserve Soldiers located in Iraq. Major Xxx worked effectively and efficiently to assist the Army Reserve Soldiers in the absence of established Army Reserve personnel systems and organizations in a multi-component force. Major Xxx worked tirelessly with the finance office at Victory Base, Iraq to ensure that xxx Soldiers extending in theater for another mission, after their commands redeploy received the Assignment Incentive Pay for their extension beyond 365 days boots on the ground. His effectiveness in communicating with Central Command, FORSCOM, the United States Army Reserve Command, Human Resources Command and the Department of the Army G3 mobilization branch allowed MAJ Xxx to coordinate with various units of the Army Reserve and Active Duty to place 67 individual Soldiers on an extension order for an additional 365 days in theater filling shortages in commands where Army units came forward to theater at less than 100% strength. MAJ Xxx assisted in the development, planning, coordination and execution of five distinguished visitor itineraries in support of the Joint Monthly Access to reserve components program. This program is designed to bring Army Reserve Commanding Generals and their Command Sergeants Majors forward to Iraq on a monthly basis to visit reserve Soldiers and their units. His assistance and experience of Army Reserve challenges led to successful communication of theater specific Army Reserve issues to the senior leaders in the Army Reserve and has positively impacted operations here in theater. Major Xxx s leadership and professionalism exemplify the Army values and his actions reflect great credit upon himself, the Multi-National Corps-Iraq, the United States Army and the Department of Defense."

wow,

well if she gets an award for doing her job, i suppose all the troops in the field should be as eligable as well eh? I meen, they do their job. Go on Patrols, endure ambushes/IED attacks, etc.etc...They are just doing their jobs. :/

Sounds like the military needs a new class of shiny objects to hand out for deskjockeys who go above and beyond....
    I propose the "nose awards" with three classes, brown, silver and gold.

Jeezus....who needs the stolen valor act, when fobbits can get a bronzie......

I hate to say this but in the Air National Guard, there is a E-9 Chief Master Sargent who has more ribbons than MacArthur and he has never deployed. IMHO, he is an ass kiss that just got fast tracked to the rank. I sure we all know the type.

Bronze stars are like candy for REMFs.

The Bronze Star is given for bravery or individual meritorious service.

Congratulations to Tech Sgt Gamez. Job well done.