Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USAF Finance NCO awarded Bronze Star Medal

Air Force has a meritoriuous service medal...there are other meritorious service medals...the bronze star has been tarnished by giving it to people that sit in an air conditioned office on a big fob.

Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    Why are people mad? Sure she was employed as supporting personnel, but it certainly sounds like she did an extraordinary job in her capacity. It's not like the AF can give her a massive raise.
    Medals should be awarded to people for the extrordanary deeds they do, not to make them feel "empowered" because they balanced the books...

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    Air Force has a meritoriuous service medal...there are other meritorious service medals...the bronze star has been tarnished by giving it to people that sit in an air conditioned office on a big fob.
    Agreed - FULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_G View Post
    Medals should be awarded to people for the extrordanary deeds they do, not to make them feel "empowered" because they balanced the books...
    Again, FULLY agree.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    Doesn't a Bronze Star for valor come with the "v" device for the sake of distinction? Just wondering, as the ignorant Eurowussie I happen to be.
    Yes - but even the "Meritorious" BSM is intended for acts during combat actions - NOT intended for REMFs and FOBITTS. I just think that she should have gotten an MSM (Meritorious Service Medal - this medal is the "equivilent" of a BSM, except for meritorious acts not directly related to combat operations) or if it were a joint billet a DMSM (Defense Meritorious Service Medal). Both of my BSMs are "Meritorious" but both were also for service provided outside the wire with a direct impact on conduct of combat operations. My DMSM (originally submitted as a BSM) was also for combat operations, but the command that awarded it deemd the actions not directly combat related...whatever, the only reason it bummed me out is that I had to re-mount my medals.

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

Thanks for clarification.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJHH View Post
    Well, LBJ got a Silver Star for...?
    He was an observer in an aircraft that some AA rounds were fired vaguely in the direction of. I think the pilot of the same aircraft was awarded... with having another mission to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
    It was MacArthur's means of a down-payment for Johnson to ask Roosevelt for more resourses for the Southwest Pacific campaign.
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure it was. Might want to take a look at the SWPA assets again before making dumb claims. They had some of the newest Aircraft in the whole PTO.

[FONT=Calibri][*******#000000]Well heck…I had an NCOIC whose claim to fame was that he never deployed to the desert in his entire AF career (in Air Mobility Command). He wrote himself a Meritorius Service Medal while he was acting NCOIC and had our new commander sign off on it before our deployed NCOIC returned from the desert. This same guy then was then sent to Honduras, where he ruptured his Achilles tendon (playing flag football). He spent three months on convalescent leave, plus another month on regular leave. He only spent eight out of twelve months on that one year assignment. He somehow got another Meritorius Service Medal. He returned back to my base and became the NCOIC. On retirement, he was awarded, once again, another Meritorius Service Medal. [/COLOR][/FONT]
    Last edited by McFire; 03-29-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo

what a joke, can i have a bronze star too?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure it was. Might want to take a look at the SWPA assets again before making dumb claims. They had some of the newest Aircraft in the whole PTO.
    Johnson was FDR's eyes and ears at the time.
    MacArthur knew the politics and played it to his advantage.
    It worked.

All kinds of possibilities and comments come to mind, none of which that are probably fair or that I would like to share on a public forum....

Wow, i thought those kind of accomplishment are awarded the achievement medal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
    Johnson was FDR's eyes and ears at the time.
    MacArthur knew the politics and played it to his advantage.
    It worked.
    LBJ made one trip while a Lt. Cdr. then forced Back into congress. His Silver Star medal was gained while a Passenger in a Martin B-26 Marauder- then considered NEW First Line equipment which hadnt even been fielded in the European theater yet. He had his own Airborne forces with the 503PIR and later the 11th Abn Div, his own dedicated amphibious forces, his 5th Air Force had the B-17, the B-25, B-26, A-20 all from the Beginning. Before LBJ arrived.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    LBJ made one trip while a Lt. Cdr. then forced Back into congress. His Silver Star medal was gained while a Passenger in a Martin B-26 Marauder- then considered NEW First Line equipment which hadnt even been fielded in the European theater yet. He had his own Airborne forces with the 503PIR and later the 11th Abn Div, his own dedicated amphibious forces, his 5th Air Force had the B-17, the B-25, B-26, A-20 all from the Beginning. Before LBJ arrived.
    Don't forget MacArthur also had the 7th Fleet.

It was the case that the European Theater was a higher priority. And that both Nimitz and MacArthur had to wrangle for second priority. Leaving Stillwell and Slim whatever leftover scraps for the China-India-Burma Campaign.

All that changed in 1944 when the Japanese went on the offensive in China and overran several allied airbases and held ground until the end of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by West Texican View Post
    The Bronze Star is given for bravery or individual meritorious service.

Congratulations to Tech Sgt Gamez. Job well done.
    Yeah, I don't understand all the negative comments. If it was a combat award it would have a V for Valor. It's been like this since WWII.

Can't believe all the rubbish and ***** wadding over this.

During my time 66-70, a Bronze Star for or ArCom for service was a very common award.

Combat had no part in it. A "V" device denoted valor during combat.

Lacking other decorations, the powers that be decided that meritorious service often deserves note and these were the result.

Lots of folks never get near combat, but perform well and beyond the requirements of their position.
    You think they should get ignored?

Very high awards like the "Legion of Merit" or Meritorious Service Medals do not involve combat.

Why does this person's *** become an issue?