Thread: German V2 rocket found in Harwich Harbour

Default German V2 rocket found in Harwich Harbour

intersting find - not sure i would like to be near it if still dangerous;

"A German V2 rocket from World War II has been found nose down in the mud flats at Harwich Harbour.
    Royal Navy divers said it was buried vertically with about 1.5m (5ft) of its tail exposed at low tide.
    Bomb disposal teams will look at the rocket at low tide on Friday as they try to work out how much more is buried and if it is still dangerous."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17553150

sorry if repost

Quote Originally Posted by JustinCreddible View Post
    intersting find - not sure i would like to be near it if still dangerous;

"A German V2 rocket from World War II has been found nose down in the mud flats at Harwich Harbour.
    Royal Navy divers said it was buried vertically with about 1.5m (5ft) of its tail exposed at low tide.
    Bomb disposal teams will look at the rocket at low tide on Friday as they try to work out how much more is buried and if it is still dangerous."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-17553150

sorry if repost
    I had not seen it in the news here in USA. thanks for posting. I assume that is salt water it was found in? Likely not going to be in too good of shape....like that German/Russian T-34 tank they found in a peat bog/lake some years ago that was almost like new due to being sunk in the peat where corrosion couldn't get to the metal...and of course it didn't fall from the sky either which helped. (it was a Russian made T-34 captured and remarked to German military markings and then run into the bog when they German army was in full retreat from Russian advance)

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    I had not seen it in the news here in USA. thanks for posting. I assume that is salt water it was found in? Likely not going to be in too good of shape....like that German/Russian T-34 tank they found in a peat bog/lake some years ago that was almost like new due to being sunk in the peat where corrosion couldn't get to the metal...and of course it didn't fall from the sky either which helped. (it was a Russian made T-34 captured and remarked to German military markings and then run into the bog when they German army was in full retreat from Russian advance)
    I wish that wear true Commanding, unfortunatly enough our navies still have to deal with mines from time to time from WWII, after all those years they can still be dangerous + in this case, nose down in the mud

Wasn't the terminal speed of a V2 supposed to be something like mach 3?
    I don't suppose there can be much left of the thing.

Wow that isn't far from where I live, interesting stuff!

Confirmed civvie. Head down, arse up, taking cover firmly behind the sofa.

I know it's been down there for nigh on seventy years, but at least one chap in the photo appears to be hitting it with a hammer!!!

I'm sure the RN know what they're doing Oneto

Blow in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneto15 View Post
    I know it's been down there for nigh on seventy years, but at least one chap in the photo appears to be hitting it with a hammer!!!
    It's only the tail of the rocket motor that has been found - think rusty steel cylinder with cone attached and maybe your "OMG it's gonna blow we're all doomed don't trust these highly trained underwater demolitions guys only nameless internet warriors know anything about it" post looks a little silly?

Quote Originally Posted by bersaglieri View Post
    It's only the tail of the rocket motor that has been found - think rusty steel cylinder with cone attached and maybe your "OMG it's gonna blow we're all doomed don't trust these highly trained underwater demolitions guys only nameless internet warriors know anything about it" post looks a little silly?
    It exploded mid-air above the harbor , they claim it is an unusual find cause they were destroyed upon impact most of the time, but that isn't really true, the massive motor section was most of the time thrown into the air again only to make more casualties a few seconds later

Quote Originally Posted by radczack
    I'm sure the RN know what they're doing Oneto
    I have no absolutely doubt that they do.

your "OMG it's gonna blow we're all doomed don't trust these highly trained underwater demolitions guys only nameless internet warriors know anything about it" post looks a little silly?
    Firstly it was meant to, hence the icon/smiley and secondly if your going to quote me do me the courtesy of using my words not your own.

Where in my post does it claim I know anything about ordnance demolition or, that I have no respect for the professionalism of those involved in conducting that dangerous duty. However, if you look at the article it does state that the disposal experts dealing with it were (at the time of writing) unsure as to whether or, not the explosive might still be attached, so my reference to hitting it with a hammer may in fact be prertinent.

Quote Originally Posted by Oneto15 View Post
    Firstly it was meant to, hence the icon/smiley and secondly if your going to quote me do me the courtesy of using my words not your own.
    See that bit where there is a quote box in my post? Those are your words. The bit in parentheses is clearly descriptive and not a quote. And you did'nt use a "silly" smiley you used a "can't believe it" facepalm smiley. The pic of the rocket being removed is not attached to anything else so we can be pretty damn sure they knew there was no risk of it blowing up , so maybe your reference to them "hitting it with a hammer" when all the pic shows is a hammer present, no hitting, is just impertinent rather than pertinent.

See that bit where there is a quote box in my post? Those are your words. The bit in parentheses is clearly descriptive and not a quote. And you did'nt use a "silly" smiley you used a "can't believe it" facepalm smiley. The pic of the rocket being removed is not attached to anything else so we can be pretty damn sure they knew there was no risk of it blowing up , so maybe your reference to them "hitting it with a hammer" when all the pic shows is a hammer present, no hitting, is just impertinent rather than pertinent.

You're right of course about the quote. My apologies.

Just read about this:

[img]http://i40.*******.com/35daww3.jpg[/img]
    In this undated photo issued by the British Ministry of Defence showing Royal Navy Divers as they deal with a WWII German V2 rocket found in the sea off Harwich, southern England, Saturday March 31, 2012. The heavily corroded WWII explosive device was lifted safely onto a pontoon to be checked and made safe.