Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low

  1. #1
    Senior Member JKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NM, United States
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low

    ...Gauchat says conservatives' rebellion against the "elite" and the shifting role of science in society is to blame for the decline. He argues that the conservative minority has rebelled against science in the same way it has against media and higher education.
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...-all-time-low-


    ...In fact, in 1974, people who identified as conservatives were among the most confident in science as an institution, with liberals trailing slightly behind, and moderates bringing up the rear. Liberals have remained fairly steady in their opinion of the scientific community over the interim, while conservative trust in science has plummeted.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...133908205.html

    This doesn't apply to all conservatives of course, but I do see this attitude with some people online, here at mp.net, and in real life.

  2. #2
    Member khaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Posts
    368

    Default

    I do not believe they have lost thier trust in science, but rather scientists. The political hidden agenda hacks that are out there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mu-Meson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    May 2001
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,327

    Default

    It is hardly surprising considering the increasing politicization of science. And even then, it is only a portion of "science" that is involved. I doubt conservatives trust in astrophysicists or organic chemists has hit a all time low.

    In fact, I would argue that conservatives are actually probably more pro-science in terms of AGW since they are the ones standing against the "science by consensus" position. "Science by consensus" is NOT science.

    As for evolution vs creationism, well, there is no defense for the wacky views held by creationists. I always thought Christians accepted that the Bible is not 100% the literal words of God, in the way that the Koran is held to be by Muslims. So why must the myth of Creation be viewed as literally true and not a metaphor or something? The sooner creationists get with the program, the better.

  4. #4
    Member Colby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK/DK
    Age
    39
    Posts
    730

    Default

    When the premise begins with
    "a conservative "anti-intellectual" ideology,
    you know where it's going to go
    I'm not a conservative personally - more of a centrist, but the non-stop spew of articles like this always sourcing convenient targets like Santorum are getting really old. There are tons of people on the left who believe some pretty bizarre or downright stupid stuff too.

  5. #5
    Senior Member [WDW]Megaraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Making people mad...
    Posts
    7,782

    Default

    I find it interesting that the most educated conservatives are the ones most skeptical of scientists.

  6. #6
    Member Reichswehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South East Asia
    Posts
    416

    Default

    So what if the Creationists don't get with your "program"?

    Round them up and send them off to the Re-education Camps?

  7. #7
    Senior Member West Texican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    between Tecovas Springs and old Tascosa
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    You can ski on the slope of that article.

  8. #8
    Senior Member archibald harry tuttle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Forsaken USA territory
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mu-Meson View Post
    It is hardly surprising considering the increasing politicization of science. And even then, it is only a portion of "science" that is involved. I doubt conservatives trust in astrophysicists or organic chemists has hit a all time low.

    In fact, I would argue that conservatives are actually probably more pro-science in terms of AGW since they are the ones standing against the "science by consensus" position. "Science by consensus" is NOT science.

    As for evolution vs creationism, well, there is no defense for the wacky views held by creationists. I always thought Christians accepted that the Bible is not 100% the literal words of God, in the way that the Koran is held to be by Muslims. So why must the myth of Creation be viewed as literally true and not a metaphor or something? The sooner creationists get with the program, the better.
    "Science by consensus" is NOT science, thats the core of the problem. Most of what passes for science in commercial media is taken from books that are more philosophy than science like "Science of the impossible", books made for sales and not to inform people. For a long time mathematicians have been telling some members of the scientific coimmunity their math is wrong and no one cares because its not an easy read book one can buy in at Walmart.

    I was shocked to find out my quantum physics professor was a creationist but his attack on evolution did not come from faith, he did explain some of the holes in the theory and he was very scientific about it. I think he fell back to creationism for lack of a practical scientific answer. I don't believe in church but what i was shown was real not nonsense so i took the hobby of researching about evolution and found out the problem is Darwin's theory not the concept itself. It so happens that Humboldt, the actual scientist that got it right, is rarely mentioned at all. While Darwin modeled his theory from pedigree dog breeders, Humboldt said evolution was the result of interaction among species. The main flaw of Darwin's theory is that it always leads to gene erosion which inevitably leads to extintion and yet it seems no one is allowed to publish details like that. Unfortunately many people will go back to myths when they can't get actual intellectual answers.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DaveDash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,389

    Default

    Probably has a lot to do with the politics of Global Warming

    Al Gore did more harm by endorsing global warming than he ever could imagine.

  10. #10
    Suspended for infractions
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leading maxima10 around by the nose.
    Posts
    23,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDash View Post
    Probably has a lot to do with the politics of Global Warming

    Al Gore did more harm by endorsing global warming than he ever could imagine.
    I doubt he cares about much more than parking his mug in front of the camera. When it comes to attention whoring he's right up there with Jesse Jackson.

  11. #11

  12. #12
    Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Villa Gorilla
    Age
    52
    Posts
    14,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I do not believe they have lost thier trust in science, but rather scientists. The political hidden agenda hacks that are out there.
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

  13. #13
    Senior Member JKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NM, United States
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    In my own unscientific opinion on this matter, I think, in part, this is what happens when scientific research butts heads with culture, religion, and deeply held political beliefs, none of which are very flexible or quick to change.

    When science calls these deeply held beliefs into question, it must part of a hidden political agenda, a dirty plot.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •