Thread: Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low

Default Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low

...Gauchat says conservatives' rebellion against the "elite" and the shifting role of science in society is to blame for the decline. He argues that the conservative minority has rebelled against science in the same way it has against media and higher education.
    http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...-all-time-low-

...In fact, in 1974, people who identified as conservatives were among the most confident in science as an institution, with liberals trailing slightly behind, and moderates bringing up the rear. Liberals have remained fairly steady in their opinion of the scientific community over the interim, while conservative trust in science has plummeted.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...133908205.html

This doesn't apply to all conservatives of course, but I do see this attitude with some people online, here at mp.net, and in real life.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

I do not believe they have lost thier trust in science, but rather scientists. The political hidden agenda hacks that are out there.

It is hardly surprising considering the increasing politicization of science. And even then, it is only a portion of "science" that is involved. I doubt conservatives trust in astrophysicists or organic chemists has hit a all time low.

In fact, I would argue that conservatives are actually probably more pro-science in terms of AGW since they are the ones standing against the "science by consensus" position. "Science by consensus" is NOT science.

As for evolution vs creationism, well, there is no defense for the wacky views held by creationists. I always thought Christians accepted that the Bible is not 100% the literal words of God, in the way that the Koran is held to be by Muslims. So why must the myth of Creation be viewed as literally true and not a metaphor or something? The sooner creationists get with the program, the better.

When the premise begins with
    "a conservative "anti-intellectual" ideology,
    you know where it's going to go
    I'm not a conservative personally - more of a centrist, but the non-stop spew of articles like this always sourcing convenient targets like Santorum are getting really old. There are tons of people on the left who believe some pretty bizarre or downright stupid stuff too.

I find it interesting that the most educated conservatives are the ones most skeptical of scientists.

So what if the Creationists don't get with your "program"?

Round them up and send them off to the Re-education Camps?

You can ski on the slope of that article.

Senior Member archibald harry tuttle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mu-Meson View Post
    It is hardly surprising considering the increasing politicization of science. And even then, it is only a portion of "science" that is involved. I doubt conservatives trust in astrophysicists or organic chemists has hit a all time low.

In fact, I would argue that conservatives are actually probably more pro-science in terms of AGW since they are the ones standing against the "science by consensus" position. "Science by consensus" is NOT science.

As for evolution vs creationism, well, there is no defense for the wacky views held by creationists. I always thought Christians accepted that the Bible is not 100% the literal words of God, in the way that the Koran is held to be by Muslims. So why must the myth of Creation be viewed as literally true and not a metaphor or something? The sooner creationists get with the program, the better.
    "Science by consensus" is NOT science, thats the core of the problem. Most of what passes for science in commercial media is taken from books that are more philosophy than science like "Science of the impossible", books made for sales and not to inform people. For a long time mathematicians have been telling some members of the scientific coimmunity their math is wrong and no one cares because its not an easy read book one can buy in at Walmart.

I was shocked to find out my quantum physics professor was a creationist but his attack on evolution did not come from faith, he did explain some of the holes in the theory and he was very scientific about it. I think he fell back to creationism for lack of a practical scientific answer. I don't believe in church but what i was shown was real not nonsense so i took the hobby of researching about evolution and found out the problem is Darwin's theory not the concept itself. It so happens that Humboldt, the actual scientist that got it right, is rarely mentioned at all. While Darwin modeled his theory from pedigree dog breeders, Humboldt said evolution was the result of interaction among species. The main flaw of Darwin's theory is that it always leads to gene erosion which inevitably leads to extintion and yet it seems no one is allowed to publish details like that. Unfortunately many people will go back to myths when they can't get actual intellectual answers.

Probably has a lot to do with the politics of Global Warming

Al Gore did more harm by endorsing global warming than he ever could imagine.

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDash View Post
    Probably has a lot to do with the politics of Global Warming

Al Gore did more harm by endorsing global warming than he ever could imagine.
    I doubt he cares about much more than parking his mug in front of the camera. When it comes to attention whoring he's right up there with Jesse Jackson.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    I do not believe they have lost thier trust in science, but rather scientists. The political hidden agenda hacks that are out there.
    Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

In my own unscientific opinion on this matter, I think, in part, this is what happens when scientific research butts heads with culture, religion, and deeply held political beliefs, none of which are very flexible or quick to change.

When science calls these deeply held beliefs into question, it must part of a hidden political agenda, a dirty plot.