Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Trayvon Martin killing raises loaded racial terms

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Default Trayvon Martin killing raises loaded racial terms

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/29/opinio...html?hpt=op_t1

"San Diego (CNN) -- Over the years, Americans have become familiar with terms such as "white" and "Hispanic" and even -- on government forms -- the more specific "non-Hispanic white." Now, courtesy of the mainstream media, there is a new phrase to add to our national lexicon: "white Hispanic."

I don't like the sound of that. I've written about the thorny subjects of race and ethnicity for nearly a quarter century, and I rarely hear this term. We might have been able to see this coming given that there is no Hispanic race and Hispanics come in all colors.

Still, mark my words. Wherever this road leads, it's not good -- not for Hispanics nor the rest of the country."

He really highlights how ludicrous things have become. Why are some so intent on making skin color matter?

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

It does seem like it's reducing things to the lowest common denominator in order to facilitate understanding by retards.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

I have a friend that is African-American. He is from Nairobi, Kenya. He is Caucasian. Will he be referred to as a white Afircan-American?

The crime that is under investigation is the shooting death of an unarmed teenager by an adult carrying a firearm. This is not, as I have heard it called, the most significant crime of our time. If this becomes a spring board for something else, it will be driven by pundits, politicians and activists.

With still 7 months to go until the election, this won't be the last story that gets fast-tracked for escalation to national prominence, either. Whether it's Sandra Fluke's birth control pills or this unfortunate incident in Florida, these stories turn as cogs in a common narrative: the case for voting 'Democrat' in November.

I won't tell anybody they should vote for one party or another, but this process we subject our country to in the lead-up to our presidential elections is thoroughly toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post
    With still 7 months to go until the election, this won't be the last story that gets fast-tracked for escalation to national prominence, either. Whether it's Sandra Fluke's birth control pills or this unfortunate incident in Florida, these stories turn as cogs in a common narrative: the case for voting 'Democrat' in November.

I won't tell anybody they should vote for one party or another, but this process we subject our country to in the lead-up to our presidential elections is thoroughly toxic.
    I was reading some of the comments on an article in The Atlantic I believe, regarding the SC's apparent take so far on Obamacare and to hear it you'd think Liberals are ready to start skinning Republicans alive. The hatred spewing from every direction was at the same time hysterical and disturbing.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by szr View Post

Wait! Zimmerman was registered democrat and self identified as Hispanic. How a registered democrat can be a racist?

Quote Originally Posted by joethesixpack View Post
    Wait! Zimmerman was registered democrat and self identified as Hispanic. How a registered democrat can be a racist?
    That's why the media went all slack-jawed until they figured, "he's WHITE, let's play that angle since everybody knows whites are racist".

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    That's why the media went all slack-jawed until they figured, "he's WHITE, let's play that angle since everybody knows whites are racist".
    Regarding this case, I hope justice is had.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by California Joe; 04-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camerashy View Post
    Regarding this case, I hope justice is had.
    Attachment 176537
    R.I.P.
    Good luck to them sorting out all the details of exactly what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Good luck to them sorting out all the details of exactly what happened.
    I don't believe there were any true witnesses except for Zimmerman. What a mess.
    Last edited by California Joe; 04-01-2012 at 01:27 PM.

I don't get it
    white hispanic isn't a new term, it's been around for ages and used as a name for people of only european descent born in latin america
    zimmerman otoh is an obvious mestizo

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    I don't get it
    white hispanic isn't a new term, it's been around for ages and used as a name for people of only european descent born in latin america
    zimmerman otoh is an obvious mestizo
    Does it flipping matter? The media (led by CNN) has encouraged this whole debacle. Cooler heads would be prevailing here but they aren't given prime time coverage and the repeated playing of their videos isn't allowed like those of the raging minority.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camerashy View Post
    Does it flipping matter? The media (led by CNN) has encouraged this whole debacle. Cooler heads would be prevailing here but they aren't given prime time coverage and the repeated playing of their videos isn't allowed like those of the raging minority.
    And regarding the two pix you posted, you are part of the problem, genius.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by CG51 View Post
    And regarding the two pix you posted, you are part of the problem, genius.
    How is that? Or we can only post "selected and approved" pictures? We can smear Zimmerman but not the other party involved?

Quote Originally Posted by joethesixpack View Post
    How is that? Or we can only post "selected and approved" pictures? We can smear Zimmerman but not the other party involved?
    I agree.

California Joe, I'm only posting the most recent photos of the deceased. There is no reason why we should be posting 5 year old photos of Trayvon Martin. And the other photo was simply to illustrate the racial issues that are being ignored by this country. There is no reason why I have to get infractions. And I'm not part of the problem. The "problem", if that is what you want to call it, is that there are no recent photos with Trayvon Martin sweetly smiling on top of a horse. Every recent photo of him is similar to the one below. So how is this a "flame bate"?
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval