Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S. Korean K2 MBT to have German powerpack

Banned user

Default S. Korean K2 MBT to have German powerpack

Defense Acquisition Program Administration announced today that first 100 out of 390,maybe around 600 in the end,K2 MBT will have German powerpack, which were used in K2 MBT prototypes.

with this German powerpack K2 MBT prototypes were superb, but with domestically developed powerpack K2 was like disabled.
    Doosan DST(1500HP engine) and S&T Dynamics(transmission) are developing powerpack for K2 MBT and they failed like hell. damn I knew it!

just forget the crappy domestic powerpack and go with German powerpack till the end!!

Doosan DST and S&T Dynamics delayed whole K2 MBT program 3 fuvkin' years!!!

K2 MBT prototypes video in 2007
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by nooobs; 04-02-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Link?

[*******"#FFFFFF"].......[/COLOR]

Banned user
    Last edited by nooobs; 04-02-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: adding source

Banned user

If it is true, really bad news. Alternates always make things better. I wonder how Turkey will find a way to make own engine for Altay. Even S. Korea have hard time with engine maybe Turkey need more than 250 MTU engines.

Quote Originally Posted by nooobs View Post
    Defense Acquisition Program Administration announced today that first 100 out of 390,maybe around 600 in the end,K2 MBT will have German powerpack, which were used in K2 MBT prototypes.

with this German powerpack K2 MBT prototypes were superb, but with domestically developed powerpack K2 was like disabled.
    Doosan DST(1500HP engine) and S&T Dynamics(transmission) are developing powerpack for K2 MBT and they failed like hell. damn I knew it!

just forget the crappy domestic powerpack and go with German powerpack till the end!!

Doosan DST and S&T Dynamics delayed whole K2 MBT program 3 fuvkin' years!!!

K2 MBT prototypes video in 2007
    What happens at about 3:50?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by joka View Post
    What happens at about 3:50?
    it's soft-kill APS, and we also completed hard-kill APS recently FYI

Banned user

Congressmen inspecting Doosan DST's 1500hp engine for K2 MBT

Are they going for a license build? Or straight off imports.

South Korea can allways buy licence, Rh-120/L55 gun is also manufactured on licence by one of companys, not by Rhinemetall.

All in all good news, when production starts? Would be great to finally see these new tanks in field.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Damian90 View Post
    South Korea can allways buy licence, Rh-120/L55 gun is also manufactured on licence by one of companys, not by Rhinemetall.

All in all good news, when production starts? Would be great to finally see these new tanks in field.
    120/L55 gun for K2 is locally developed not license produced one. and it looks like they are to import powerpacks from Germany directly.

EDIT:and it is also possible STX Engine to license produce 100 MTU engines for K2. they have license produced K1/K1A1 MBT and K9 SPH engines.
    for more info, visit http://www.stxengine.co.kr/eng/biz/army_land.aspx
    Last edited by nooobs; 04-03-2012 at 07:22 AM.

120/L55 gun for K2 is locally developed not license produced one.
    2 options then, or it is based on Rh-120/L55, or it is further development of KM256 that is South Korean version of US M256 that is redesigned Rh-120/L44.

Banned user

2 options then, or it is based on Rh-120/L55, or it is further development of KM256 that is South Korean version of US M256 that is redesigned Rh-120/L44.
    later batch of K1A1 MBT has locally developed 120/L44 gun FYI

No, K1A1 use KM256, South Korean licence version of M256. Listen I know more about tanks than You, so do not argue. K1 series were not even developed in Korea but by General Dynamics Land Systems in USA, I have even one of firts photos of prototype builded in USA.

You want to add something?

Banned user

No, K1A1 use KM256, South Korean licence version of M256. Listen I know more about tanks than You, so do not argue. K1 series were not even developed in Korea but by General Dynamics Land Systems in USA, I have even one of firts photos of prototype builded in USA.

You want to add something?
    oh, yeah? Did I said S. Korea developed K1 tank before? and I also saw K1 prototype called ROKIT pics earlier. and I said "later" batch of K1A1 has locally developed 120/L44 gun.

This was only an example. And please explain me, what is sense standing behind developing again gun that You are allready manufacture on licence? Don't You see here a simple logic contradiction? Because I do not see any sence to develop again gun that is allready manufactured. Same with L55 gun, why to do that if You can just buy a licence?

Especially that both L44 and L55 are looking just the same as M256/Rh-120/L55 and Rh-120/L55 respectively.

I suspect that or You read some wrongly informed source, or You misunderstood something.