Thread: 150th anniversary of Great Locomotive Chase through Ga

Default 150th anniversary of Great Locomotive Chase through Ga

Quote Originally Posted by WSB Radio
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]It's one of the most daring events in American history and it took place 150 years ago today.[/FONT][/COLOR] [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]"James J. Andrews and a group of Union raiders decided they were going to capture a northbound Confederate train and take that train all the way to Chattanooga," says Dr. Richard Banz, executive director of the Southern Museum, in Kennesaw.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]They became known as Andrews' Raiders, 24 men who failed in their mission, but capture the imagination a century and a half later.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]It began around 6 a.m. April 12, 1862. The locomotive known as The General left Atlanta and headed north. When it got to Marietta, Andrews and his men, now numbering 22 (two had overslept), commandeered the train and headed northwest.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]The Raiders went through the town of Big Shanty, which is now Kennesaw. Banz says they chose that path because there was no telegraph office, even though telegraph lines passed through the town. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]However, there was a Confederate encampment in Big Shanty and that’s where the Raiders plan quickly fell apart.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]They traveled through Moon Station, Kingston and Dalton, before passing through Ringgold.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]"The whole chase lasts for 89 miles, about 6 1/2 hours," Banz says. "The General finally runs out of coal and wood just north of Ringgold."
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]The Raiders abandoned the locomotive, but were all captured soon afterwards. Eight, including Andrews, were executed and the rest sent to prison. Eight escaped, while the others were part of a prisoner exchange later in the war.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]Events marking the sesquicentennial are planned in cities and town along the train's path.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]The Southern Museum in Kennesaw offers free admission today. That's where visitors can see The General, the original locomotive from the Great Locomotive Chase.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#444444][FONT=Arial]"It's in good shape," says Banz, "considering it was built in 1855."[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Link, http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/15...rough-g/nMXWW/

I've been to see The General a few times over the years. Too bad I had to work today or I'd have gone over there with their free admission today....

Reading this I keep thinking about Buster Keaton's "The General". Great story though.

It's one of the most daring events in American history, and it took place 150 years ago today....
    Vice President Biden disagrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Flecktarn92 View Post
    Reading this I keep thinking about Buster Keaton's "The General". Great story though.
    Have you ever seen the Disney version?

No is it any good?

From what I have watched and read, it's very accurate to the actual events....

Why did they execute 8 of them?