Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: US Army tightens rules on hair, tattoos, makeup

Formerly known as Suigenesis before the great crash

Default US Army tightens rules on hair, tattoos, makeup

Senior leaders are putting the final touches on 17 grooming regulation changes that cover everything from tattoos and makeup to cellphones and civilian attire. And soldiers will likely face punishment under the Uniform Code of Military Justice if they fail to get squared away.
    Some examples:

Shorter sideburns

Soldiers must be clean shaven on and off duty, even during leave

Tattoos will not be visible above the neck line when the physical fitness uniform is worn. Tattoos will not extend below the wrist line and not be visible on the hands. Sleeve tattoos will be prohibited. (This rule may be grandfathered.)

Hair grooming standards will become more restrictive and better defined.
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...hanges-041412w

So the transition back to a garrison Army has begun. I swear, CSM's and staff officers must have a hotline to the Good Idea Fairy.

Soldiers must be clean shaven on and off duty, even during leave
    That makes no sense at all

The Marine Corps has had these same rules as long as I have been around, except for maybe the tattoo rule on sleeves which is new in the last few years.
    The sleeve tats rule is dumb. The neck and hand tattoos I agree with. The haircuts I agree with. The shaving on leave...kind of silly but meh. Overall its not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaper View Post
    That makes no sense at all
    It does to that no life having PSB seargent major who never does anything but walk around post.

Meh, don't see much to get bent out of shape on really. Just tightening up some on the older regs it looks, with a few new ones in there. Having an umbrella for men in the ASU is new, but don't see anyone outside of the Pentagon opting to use it very much. I like the fingernail rule for women, but I can hear alot of REMF desk jockeys screaming over that one though. And the teefuses ornamentation is nice too imho. But, waaahh. Deal with it. It is the Army, not some glamour shots organization.

As far as sleeve tattoos, Correct me if I'm wrong but the CF has had something like this for a long time?

I remember one of our section MCpl's having his uniform sleeves rolled down always and even on the hottest days because of this. Its an easy work around, but it did stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by panzrman View Post
    Meh, don't see much to get bent out of shape on really. Just tightening up some on the older regs it looks, with a few new ones in there. Having an umbrella for men in the ASU is new, but don't see anyone outside of the Pentagon opting to use it very much. I like the fingernail rule for women, but I can hear alot of REMF desk jockeys screaming over that one though. And the teefuses ornamentation is nice too imho. But, waaahh. Deal with it. It is the Army, not some glamour shots organization.
    My gripe is with the regs that I posted. Please, tell me how having a normal haircut is somehow not "professional?" I asked for years, but no one could ever tell me. I got ***** every Monday morning for my "long" hair. The current grooming regs are pretty clear to me. It's the people who want to interpret them that get all up in arms when they don't see skin on the side of your head.

The thing with the sleeve tattoos is silly too. Why does it matter if you have a sleeve? You can't see it anyway if you're wearing your top. And shaving on leave? Hah! How are they going to enforce that? Stupid.

Go **** yourself Chandler. It's a POG just outside of retirement trying to leave his mark. I was really hoping the board would just ignore the mother****er, but whatever. Yeah professionalism is measured in not having sideburns and white walling.

I love the smell of Turkey in the morning!

the CSM info sounds to me like he is a good soldier:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_F._Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    He's SMA. Did you think he'd look like garbage on paper? It doesn't mean he's not a ****ing idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by commanding View Post
    I see a whole lot of leadership schools, no real combat time. Go figure.

This dude was the commandant of the Sergeant Majors Academy. That basically means he IS the Good Idea Fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by TehSuig View Post
    My gripe is with the regs that I posted. Please, tell me how having a normal haircut is somehow not "professional?" I asked for years, but no one could ever tell me. I got ***** every Monday morning for my "long" hair. The current grooming regs are pretty clear to me. It's the people who want to interpret them that get all up in arms when they don't see skin on the side of your head.

The thing with the sleeve tattoos is silly too. Why does it matter if you have a sleeve? You can't see it anyway if you're wearing your top. And shaving on leave? Hah! How are they going to enforce that? Stupid.
    Never said having a normal haircut isn't professional brother, just that I don't see much to get bent out of shape on this. I would always catch flak with my hair and flavor savor too, and although it was tiring at times having to defend them as being in reg( well, the flavor savor was in reg most of the time, lol. And shaving while on leave? Fcuk that. Thats why I always took my leave as far from any uniformed entity as I could. ), it was just part of the life. I never agreed with all the regs all the time, but it didn't matter what I thought. I liked what I did, I liked the people around me and I liked the opportunities, so I played by the Army's silly rules. It is just that simple really. No different than having to follow rules elsewhere.

Are these what is being proposed or will they show up in the Army Regulations?

Quote Originally Posted by camerashy View Post
    Are these what is being proposed or will they show up in the Army Regulations?

Probably will be in regs by the end of the year.

I just don't get why they're relaxing hair regs for women but making them harder for men. He said he saw soldiers with chops for sideburns and that is just someone not cracking down. Not a problem with the regs. He seems to have mistaken the difference between the two for the majority of the changes.

Sleeve tattoos will be prohibited.

Those are a career ender for people. For Marines means, they can never be assigned certain duty station, like embassy duty.