Thread: Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger

Default Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger

Sua Sponte: The Forging of a Modern American Ranger

Sua Sponte
    Latin for “Of Their Own Accord”
    The MOTTO OF THE 75TH RANGER REGIMENT

The 75th Ranger Regiment is a unique and distinct culture among the American military establishment. They stand alone, even among our other Special Operations forces, as the most active brigade-sized force in the current Global War on Terrorism. Since 9/11, The Regiment is the only continuously-engaged unit in the Army, and has had forty percent of its number deployed in harm’s way for the last decade. Their mission is unique. Rangers do not patrol, they don’t train allied forces, nor do they engage in routine counterinsurgency duties. They have a single-mission focus; they seek out the enemy and they capture or kill them. It sets Rangers apart as pure, direct-action warriors.

Army Rangers are not born. They are made. The modern 75th Ranger Regiment represents the culmination of 250 years of American soldiering. As the nation’s oldest standing military unit, The Regiment traces its origins to Richard Rogers’ Rangers during the pre-revolutionary French and Indian War, through the likes of Francis Marion and John Mosby, to the five active Ranger battalions of the Second World War, and finally, to the four battalions of the current Ranger regiment engaged in modern combat. Over that period, a standard of professional excellence and the forging of that excellence is distilled in the selection, assessment, and training of today’s Rangers.

Granted unprecedented access to the training of this highly-restricted component of America’s Special Operations Forces in a time of war, retired Navy Captain **** Couch tells the personal story of the young men who begin this difficult and dangerous journey to become a Ranger. Many will try but only a select few will survive to serve in the 75th ranger regiment. Sua Sponte follows a group of these aspiring young warriors through the crucible that is ranger training and their preparation for direct-action missions in Afghanistan against the Taliban.

http://www.amazon.com/Sua-Sponte-For...d=QK3BQ0BHRHUX

looks interesting. will definitely pick it up. I feel with all the Hoopla SEALs and SF get, the Rangers are alittle unappreciated. BrianT Has taught me they are out there Running and Gunning with the best of SOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Grundy View Post
    looks interesting. will definitely pick it up. I feel with all the Hoopla SEALs and SF get, the Rangers are alittle unappreciated. BrianT Has taught me they are out there Running and Gunning with the best of SOF.
    I'm really not sure what people think it is they've been doing for the past decade and some change.

Escaping from maximum security prisons to the Los Angeles underground and surviving as soldiers of fortune...?

Folks with no knowledge of mission responsibilities and specifities flailing about comparing apples to oranges.

The TO&E changes in the past 11 years have been pretty significant too. RLTW
    Last edited by James; 04-20-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPM_Sheep View Post
    Escaping from maximum security prisons to the Los Angeles underground and surviving as soldiers of fortune...?

That's some funny ass ****....nice reference

OK, my copy arrived from Amazon today. I'll post a review, after I read through it.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Trace their roots to Richard Rogers? Was he Robert Rogers' older brother?

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Rangers also write show tunes in their spare time....

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by California Joe View Post
    Rangers also write show tunes in their spare time....
    Rogers's Rangers & Hammerstein? I think I've heard of them.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Yep. True story.

Meh, Engineers Lead The Way!!!!!!