Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Romney on spending: Guns triumph over butter

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    Sure it does. He was infuriated he was passed over for Commandant of the Marine Corps, then weeks later spews forth his diatribe. If he had ethics he wouldnt have waited until being passed over to spew his hatred.
    Your post doesn't really address the point. His mood doesn't change facts, only his propensity to speak his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    Your post doesn't really address the point. His mood doesn't change facts, only his propensity to speak his mind.
    But he didnt speak his mind UNTIL he was passed over. IF he truly believed what he said he wouldnt have waited until retiring to spew forth his invective.

But he didnt speak his mind UNTIL he was passed over. IF he truly believed what he said he wouldnt have waited until retiring to spew forth his invective.
    LD, it is called being a coward intellectually. Sad to see from a General but reality sucks.

Banned user

Really? you can't buy a car, truck, boat because those industries are on a war footing making military goods?

The Airlines cant get aircraft because of Military priorities?

Your food Rationed along with your fuel, shoes, clothing, because the MIC has priority?

On what planet?

What Airlines not having planes has to do with the MIC being overblown? Now if you really think 18th hole Ike or even Butler were dishonnest, then so must be whole of the US troops (or US politicians) that will come home after Afghanistan and will speak against the way the war was kept alive. The problem is that the MIC is not overblown because it has peculiar ways that contrast with the civilian market. The MIC operates in the same fashion (kicksbacks, loobying, disregard for the taxpayers money). Where I agree with you is that there is no need to worry, because the US being such a mammoth, it really cannot have a high standart of transparency. There will never never be an efficient Procurement or R/D chain. Nor will those little extras be cut (part of the job you know), but just like CJ said; people switch way too easily from the Military to the MIC. As they do from Private businness to Public Administration and then back to Private again.

I agree, the timing is not coincedental.
    I disagree however that it means he didn't believe what he was saying. Hell, a sense of betrayal (justified or not) may have very well changed the way he felt about is career and his actions or been the tipping point in a longer slower change. Unfourtanately we are postulating the thought process of a dead man.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    As I wanted to write before the forum had a hickup, if I were the US I would embark on a deliberate program to rebuild a civilian manufacturing base.
    Not necessarily through government subsidies but rather deliberate choice of investors, improving of vocational training and engineering classes et cetera.
    Out-China China, like some parts of the US South allready do.
    This is the base of the broad pyramid on which a strong military rests.
    You can't win a war with an IPad, especially not if the IPad is made in China.
    We had a way to out China China, or back in the day, out Britain Britain

It was called tariffs

It is verbotten as far as modern hip economics and economists and industrial/multinational people are concerned

In essence, the de-industrialization of the US is a great example of how genius perceptions from experts is not the best course

Its a great example of what happens when theory (like unconditional free trade) meets reality

EDIT - uncle and his fam have a gas station. I see it first hand. You wouldn't believe what some customers try to do. And sadly, what IS legal to do. And for SURE, not even the ghettoest of the ghetto were starving...not when you can afford to buy multihundred dollar shoes and other superficial ****

EDIT - the Defense dept has been making the most drastic cuts out of all the federal departments. Its amazing, the one we can least afford to cut back on is spearheading the cutting. With the current rounds, we've already again slagged back on fields we were finally catching upto where we were supposed to be, like laser missile defense, etc.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming East View Post
    I agree, i also think Romney would not suffer for it if he said as much. If the man mounted a soapbox today and said he wanted to prioritize military spending so that Ships and F22's and huge military contracts are no longer prioritized over personnel training and basic gear and facilities i applaud him.
    That's because you don't know WTF you're talking about. How long does it take to train a soldier or buy a gun? How long does it take to design and field an aircraft or ship? Furthermore, people like you whine and complain about lack of competition when it comes to things like developing fighters, and then you want to kill the companies who make the ****ing things so there can't be competition.
    Last edited by C.Puffs; 04-24-2012 at 10:28 AM.