Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vulcan Falklands bombing raid remembered

Default Vulcan Falklands bombing raid remembered

The Vulcan bomber is being remembered thirty years since one was used in a Falklands raid carried out by the RAF.
    The BBC's Danny Savage met some of the people who were involved in the opening operation in the campaign to retake the Falkland Islands.

BBC Video ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17878657

Thanks, great story.

Dividing my time between the far east and the east coast.

X2. Thanks.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

The part about the maps gave me a chuckle. Pretty sharp.

Thanks for posting.

Didn't one have to turn back due to a vent windows rubber gasket failed?

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Neat; thanks for posting.

The conflict didn't last that long did it? But yet they installed new refueling equipment on the aircraft, came up with a mission plan, and everything worked.

Nice job.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I think the aircraft has a nice look.

What I think really embedded it into my brain, though, was seeing it in Thunderball

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

While not particularly militarily effective, they did show that the same aircraft could also reach mainland Argentina should the need arise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Col A. Tack View Post
    Neat; thanks for posting.

The conflict didn't last that long did it? But yet they installed new refueling equipment on the aircraft, came up with a mission plan, and everything worked.
    It was the original refuelling equipment that had been removed. They had to scour all sorts of places such as scrap yards to find the stuff. One small but vital part was found being used as an ash tray by some officers.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulClift View Post
    It was the original refuelling equipment that had been removed. They had to scour all sorts of places such as scrap yards to find the stuff. One small but vital part was found being used as an ash tray by some officers.
    Very interesting, sir. Thank you.

Wasn't one of the pilots was saying he couldn't see the end of the probe during refueling?

Not heard that. Having been inside a Vulcan cockpit I can confirm that you can barely see ***** though.

We took a trip up to Bruntingthorpe and went in the hangar there and we took a long an ex pilot. He was telling us that on a flight once a F4 appeared on each wing for a 'play' and he put the Vulcan into a dive in which he left them but upon landing the ground crew found quite a few rivets missing I love little tales like that.

Some of the parts were 'borrowed' from museum Vulcans under the promise they were returned when finished with.

If you want to know more read the excellant Vulcan 607 by Rowland White, the man currently flying the Vulcan Martin Withers was the pilot on the first Black Buck raid ironic he is still flying the vulcan 40 years later.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?195381-Unusual-view-of-the-Clift-family-seat-of-power-(ie-mine)-Oh-and-XH558-)

That is XH558 taken over my parents house by a family friend.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ghlight=vulcan

That thread has a link to a recent docu about the 1st Black Buck raid.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulClift View Post
    Not heard that. Having been inside a Vulcan cockpit I can confirm that you can barely see ***** though.
    Pilot Withers was describing it about 1:49 into the video.

I'll been the mission planning would have been exceeding difficult given the capabilities of the aircraft.
    "Even the tankers needed tankers."

We took a trip up to Bruntingthorpe and went in the hangar there and we took a long an ex pilot. He was telling us that on a flight once a F4 appeared on each wing for a 'play' and he put the Vulcan into a dive in which he left them but upon landing the ground crew found quite a few rivets missing I love little tales like that.
    Neat

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    While not particularly militarily effective, they did show that the same aircraft could also reach mainland Argentina should the need arise.
    [*******#222222][FONT="Verdana"]As could a Polaris. There is a legend about Maggie thinking of firing one into Buenos Aires and then informing General Galtieri that the next one's gonna
    include a warhead

I agree with Commander Nigel "Sharkey" Ward who considered the missions a superb face-saving operation by RAF.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiski View Post
    [*******#222222][FONT=Verdana]As could a Polaris. There is a legend about Maggie thinking of firing one into Buenos Aires and then informing General Galtieri that the next one's gonna
    include a warhead

I agree with Commander Nigel "Sharkey" Ward who considered the missions a superb face-saving operation by RAF.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Iīm pretty sure that any significant move over the continent was simply "banned", those are simply post-war legends.

Vulcanīs mission were a major fail at preventing the airfield to be used: it remained operational until the very last day of the war. On the contrary, it proved some efficience at supressing radars, but again very limited.

Wardīs words are correct IMO.