Thread: First Generation AAA

Default First Generation AAA

A tree stump cannon outside the small anti aircraft museum on the grounds ones housing Roslagens Air Defence Corps.
    Patching some knowledge together it should be 7,5 cm Bofors field gun m/05 with a specially designed Anti Aircraft mounting! I guess shoot and scoot would involve a chainsaw

Righteous. and a beautiful backdrop as well.

Almost like the cannon is still keeping watch... I wonder if it's haunted.

Wouldn't really have to worry about shoot and scoot, as Trench warfare was static to the point where it would take a year just to get to the rear trench area, where I'm assuming this thing was set up. Plus, aircraft generally didn't strafe trenches because they were really slow and made a really good target for riflemen and machine gunners (look up how the Red Baron died). Given that information, it was a pretty sound setup. I just wonder what kind of ammunition they would use to shoot at aircraft, maybe a timed fuze...?
    BTW, I've seen photos of British 13 pounder (76mm) AAA guns mounted to the back of trucks like the Thornycroft Type J lorry, making the first self propelled AAA gun in history.

I still love the Lewis machine gun mounted on a wagon wheel.

Are you sure its not the Bofors "Fieldgun" model 02? Cant find any data for a m/05. In the beginning they had to experiment lot since the need for AA came during war. They later got the 7,5cm antiaircraftgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Profevil View Post
    Are you sure its not the Bofors "Fieldgun" model 02? Cant find any data for a m/05. In the beginning they had to experiment lot since the need for AA came during war. They later got the 7,5cm antiaircraftgun.
    I mixed it up with the naval gun 7,5cm M/05 built by Finspång (the navy was more sceptical to Bofors at that time). The m/02 is ofcource a Krupp gun built both by Krupp and by Bofors under Lincence, i didn't recognise the m/02 because it didn't have it's armoured shield.