Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nickel Boron BCGs: Are they worth it?

This seems like it might be for me. My guns are fairly medium-use - Last couple of months I ran about 1200 rounds through a Doublestar Hbar. This new build has 600 through her in about 3 weeks. I really think an NiB group would really be of benefit. Btw, Frog Lube is the shizznite.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Zach of R. View Post
    QPQ melonite also known as salt bath nitriding isn't a coating but is rather a process by which carbon and nitrogen are diffused into the steel of the barrel or whatever you're having the operation performed on. And you're right; meloniting a barrel should not have a negative result on accuracy.

http://blacknitride.com/
    Speaking of melonite, I like the way the carrier group and pistonparts are made in my Adams Arms set up. They use high grade stainless steel for the carrier and treat all parts with a hard black meloniting process.

Nibx BCG and Nitride barrels for heavy use. I have a Loki on the way with this setup after encountering a few hard use guns with nitride barrels and Nibx BCGs. I expect the rifle to shoot 2500+ rounds a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2004 View Post
    This seems like it might be for me. My guns are fairly medium-use - Last couple of months I ran about 1200 rounds through a Doublestar Hbar. This new build has 600 through her in about 3 weeks. I really think an NiB group would really be of benefit. Btw, Frog Lube is the shizznite.
    Ultimately it won't hurt your gun if that's what you want to know, but it's not going to make your gun run better anymore than regular scheduled maintenance will. Like I said I clean and lube mine at the end of every month no matter the round count. It's gotten as high as 2,000 and has been filthy with carbon soaked lube, but still chugged along like it should with a normal phosphate bolt and chrome barrel.

edit: IMO it'd be better for you to seek out a quality barrel and bolt combo before dropping in a new wonder bolt to make it easier cleaning. I'm currently awaiting a Palmetto State Armory barrel that I'm hoping to put a thousand rounds through next weekend and I'll report back with the findings.

Even with the coating, the BCG still needs oil. I have a Ni-B coated trigger group that doesn't get exposed to heat/pressure like the BCG, it still gets gritty and requires solvents to clean the carbon build-up/gunk despite it being advertised as being "self-cleaning and lubricating."

I'd rather get a well made BCG from a reputable manufacturer and spend the leftover amount on ammo.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo1-1 View Post
    Even with the coating, the BCG still needs oil. I have a Ni-B coated trigger group that doesn't get exposed to heat/pressure like the BCG, it still gets gritty and requires solvents to clean the carbon build-up/gunk despite it being advertised as being "self-cleaning and lubricating."

I'd rather get a well made BCG from a reputable manufacturer and spend the leftover amount on ammo.......
    This is about the best common-sense advice anyone could give. With the application the OP described I don't think an NiB bolt is necessary for his needs. Here is a decently priced option that has all the right testing done and leaves some money left over for a few hundred rounds of ammo.