Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Next "Assault Weapons" Ban: What are you doing in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Laconian View Post
    I have read and heard several discussions on the National Right to Carry; some pro some con. One of the most interesting con pieces was based on the argument that as soon as the bill became law it would allow the Fed to regulate concealed carry, thus increasing Fed input and further encroaching on the 2A. The author was a pretty pro 2A guy so it was an interesting take. His argument was that concealed carry and reciprocal carry should not be in the purview of the Fed but left to the states. It was an interesting take.
    I guess it depends on how the law is written. Look at driver's licenses. They are state run affair and all states accept them. Or like the interstate commerce, right of passage. UPS truck carrying California illegal magazines through California on a transport form AZ to OR. Something on those like. I don't they it needs to be federally regulated, just that states have to honor other states Conceal licenses, for non-resident of that state.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

We can carry here in Vermont without any permit and very few regulations. There literally are no gun laws. So a Federal concealed carry law would actually be a step backward in this state....

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I know, right? Maybe you poor folk could get an out of state permit from Utah (I have one from WA) and it would make things good to go. I've always seen the right to carry as a way for law abiding citizens to protect themselves, their families, their homes, and the places they work. I personally don't think that "laws" that prevent an individual from protecting him or herself are valid. Cops carry guns to protect themselves first, then citizens (common sense to me, when your job involves chasing down violent criminals). Thugs generally don't give two *****s about laws, which makes me always wonder what people like Feinstein are thinking. More legislation to control people who don't give two *****s about it? Ok... Also, her trying to stick a 9mm mag in an AK47. I wish to God I could find that video.

I'll tell you what Feinstein thinks about it all, she has a concealed carry permit, has for years! Because she is better than us little people. I carried for about 6 months a few years ago and have no wish to do so again, I think it's a pain in the ass. The one thing about me anyhow was when I was carrying I was a freaking model citizen and driver because of the increased responsibility that comes with carrying a weapon.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I wish I'd opened an online store a decade ago to sell hiking gear with "Cargo pants" called "Tactical Desert Assault Pants", polo shirts called "PSD Tactical Shirts" and hiking boots called "Low profile urban assault boots". I'd be retired now.
    I know what you mean, but I was being a little sarcastic in what I said. I'm actually a little fearful of people getting in a panic over AR15 gear. A run like there was in 2009 could spell disaster for a small store like mine if all my inventory were bought up all of a sudden. It killed a lot of the small guys then because when they were cleaned out they couldn't restock their stores. Prices had climbed so fast they were priced right out of the market. I really don't want to see $30-$45 Pmag's again.

Going to a Show tommorrow upstate. Aint looking for any fancy gold plated AR's though. looking for unobtrusive non attention long guns like a Remington Mod 81, a Marlin Camp carbine, Krag carbine, Winchester 1895, or a Sporterized '03.

The main thing I've done is squirrel away ammo. I've got plenty of mags, but I'd like to able to actually feed them. There's a local shop that's got 7.62x39 ammo for $5 a box, which isn't unreasonable once shipping's factored in for online stuff; I pick up a few boxes per paycheck, since a few cases of ammo aren't really in the budget right now. I also bought out the last of their Yugo M67 (~400rds) when it was on special, for about $.22c/rd with tax. Thus far, I've got about 1000 rounds saved, plus the ammo I've set aside for shooting.

I don't fear a ban, at least at this point in time. I do fear the panic buying, and certain online retailers are definitely helping that along; I've watched ammo prices creep up to, on average $30-40 higher per case than they were in January. I've also made a mental note not to buy from anybody that's sent me an e-mail to the effect of "get it before the ban."

If/when things get stupid, I'll just shoot the .22s a lot more often.
    Last edited by NeedsABetterName; 05-05-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Went to the Middletown NY gunshow this morning. It's held at the Orange County Fairgrounds, Place was packed solid. had to walk a 3/4 mile to the main show room.
    Didnt seem to be any shortages of Ammo as there were pallets of it, AR's (NY Compliant- No flashhider, Bayonet lug, pinned stocks) everywhere. Someone had an M60E3 on display for some rental place, and even saw AN/PVS-14 Night Vision brand new for sale. Magazines Pre and post ban in one row alone. Saw a Very Nice Kar43 all matching for 2700US.

Quote Originally Posted by Mein Teil View Post
    I know what you mean, but I was being a little sarcastic in what I said. I'm actually a little fearful of people getting in a panic over AR15 gear. A run like there was in 2009 could spell disaster for a small store like mine if all my inventory were bought up all of a sudden. It killed a lot of the small guys then because when they were cleaned out they couldn't restock their stores. Prices had climbed so fast they were priced right out of the market. I really don't want to see $30-$45 Pmag's again.
    Stock up on USGI mags, you'll be good, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    H.B.1022 died in committee in 2007
    The unfortunate matter is that the Obama administration has proved that they no longer need for bills to pass in Congress to get their way. Specifically the Reporting of Multiple gun sales to BATFE. I wouldn't put it passed Obama, to "go under the radar".

Recounting a March 30 meeting between Brady, her husband Jim and White House Press secretary Jay Carney, The Post reports:

During the meeting, President Obama dropped in and, according to Sarah Brady, brought up the issue of gun control, “to fill us in that it was very much on his agenda,” she said.

“I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2707696/posts