Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: America's Next Bomber: Unmanned, Unlimited Range, Aimed At China

The plan is to replace on call CAS with Drones, I guess. Which might or might not work.
    You can't put a 30mm cannon in a Drone but it can drop bombs just as well.

Two words

Operational Flexibility, ie multi-role

The F-35 has it but the A-10 does not.

The powers that be have determined that is is more cost effective to have a fleet of fighters that can preform multiple missions than to have specialized aircraft that can only do a few missions but have to be staffed, trained, maintained, and paid for full time.

The A-10 is overkill for the COIN role. Better to have a turboprop job (my pick the the OV-10X) than ANY jet powered fighter (except maybe the A-37)

A-10 is still not really Tactical Air Power...that would be the JUG and the Skyraider.

Quote Originally Posted by SpudmanWP View Post
    Two words

Operational Flexibility, ie multi-role

The F-35 has it but the A-10 does not.

The powers that be have determined that is is more cost effective to have a fleet of fighters that can preform multiple missions than to have specialized aircraft that can only do a few missions but have to be staffed, trained, maintained, and paid for full time.

The A-10 is overkill for the COIN role. Better to have a turboprop job (my pick the the OV-10X) than ANY jet powered fighter (except maybe the A-37)
    F-35 is an aircraft with a serious identity crisis. Jack of all trades, master of none. Incorporating some of the know-how gained from the F-35 program into A-10 would be by far the best solution (electronic countermeasures, for an example), I bet it wouldn't be overly expensive as well. The aircraft still has its niche, and it has done a superb job in all conflicts it has participated in so far. I do agree including a lower end element, in the form of a turboprop (I hope you notice a certain controversy, you need to train and pay for the pilots of those turboprops as well). Hoping the F-35 would do A-10's job as effectively is just wishful thinking. In the next conflict, those shiny and expensive F-35 may just need to get up close and personal with hostile forces and in that situation, planes will be lost. Expensive planes.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    A-10 is still not really Tactical Air Power...that would be the JUG and the Skyraider.
    What exactly do you think "tactical airpower" is? Just FYI TAC use to have F-105s, F-4s, F-111s etc.
    Last edited by C.Puffs; 05-10-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorruptedOne View Post
    F-35 is an aircraft with a serious identity crisis. Jack of all trades, master of none. Incorporating some of the know-how gained from the F-35 program into A-10 would be by far the best solution (electronic countermeasures, for an example), I bet it wouldn't be overly expensive as well. The aircraft still has its niche, and it has done a superb job in all conflicts it has participated in so far. I do agree including a lower end element, in the form of a turboprop (I hope you notice a certain controversy, you need to train and pay for the pilots of those turboprops as well). Hoping the F-35 would do A-10's job as effectively is just wishful thinking. In the next conflict, those shiny and expensive F-35 may just need to get up close and personal with hostile forces and in that situation, planes will be lost. Expensive planes.
    And yet somehow you think A-10s are going to be survivable in the face of TOR, BUK, and Tunguska?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    What exactly do you think "tactical airpower" is? Just FYI TAC use to have F-105s, F-4s, F-111s etc.
    It's an air component built around supporting the grunt. That's because the Air Force didn't take the concept seriously.

Sheep dog standing before wolves The Dane's Avatar

The new bomber - I think, it will be a UCAV that carry maybe 8 tons(half of the B-2 payload) of bombs or missiles internerally, with lower RCS than even X-47, very longe range plus the ability to supercruise like F-22. And it will be able fly automounous, via satellite link or controlled by F-22's, F-35's and AWACS.. An automonous SEAD capability is also possible.

It's an air component built around supporting the grunt. That's because the Air Force didn't take the concept seriously.
    Nope. That's CAS. CAS is but one subset of TAC.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    The new bomber - I think, it will be a UCAV that carry maybe 8 tons(half of the B-2 payload) of bombs or missiles internerally, with lower RCS than even X-47, very longe range plus the ability to supercruise like F-22. And it will be able fly automounous, via satellite link or controlled by F-22's, F-35's and AWACS.. An automonous SEAD capability is also possible.
    Doubt it will have supercruise. $$$$$$ In fact few soruces have ever suggested that it might be supersonic. Most (including the USAF) say subsonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakfast in Vegas View Post
    Obviously that depends on whom we are facing. A-10 has survived just fine in the conflicts of the last 20 years.
    Thats debatable. 5 A-10s were shot down during Desert Storm and 5 more were so badly damaged they never flew again. Another Hog was lost to a SAM during Iraqi Freedom. With 11 aircraft downed/damaged beyond repair, the A-10 has suffered more losses than any other USAF type in the last 20 years...

I still think that the A-10 is a great plane but that myth that the A-10 is somekind of indestructible aircraft is just that, a myth. If 1970s-vintage SA-9/13 sometimes proved lethal for the A-10 back in 1991, then there is no way it is going to be survivable against Tor, Tunguska, etc, as C.Puffs pointed out.

And yet somehow you think A-10s are going to be survivable in the face of TOR, BUK, and Tunguska?
    Nope, I don't think it will fare too well. Will the F-35 fare better in the same situation? I very much doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorruptedOne View Post
    Nope, I don't think it will fare too well. Will the F-35 fare better in the same situation? I very much doubt it.
    The F-35 wont be detected and hit as easily, the A-10 can take much more damage but thats only important with AA guns and MANPADS as everything lager will kill both with a single hit.

Nope. That's CAS. CAS is but one subset of TAC.
    Enlighten me and don't come up with pursuit squadrons and air-lift.

Enlighten me and don't come up with pursuit squadrons and air-lift.
    Interdiction, CAP, air defense suppression, just off the top of my head.